Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Frog Morton Across the Pond in a meerschaum billiard with an amber stem.
I have a good question regarding this Frog Morton. The Tobacco. My Husband smokes a pipe. His choice for a Tobacco is a Vanilla Custard Aromatic I purchased for him from Pipes and Cigars. It smells like a fresh from the oven pie or cake. Great smell and he says the taste is super as well. Taste like it smells. Yummy. So with this Frog Morton, aside from we would hope there is not actual FROG taste...hahah, what could you say it is like? Any other Tobacco taste or smell you could compare to it? I see it in the magazine Pipes and Cigars. It seems to be popular. And as funny as it is,, the name, FROG makes a person think it may be a good idea to LEAP on buying some! Hahah!

I have a good question regarding this Frog Morton. The Tobacco. My Husband smokes a pipe. His choice for a Tobacco is a Vanilla Custard Aromatic I purchased for him from Pipes and Cigars. It smells like a fresh from the oven pie or cake. Great smell and he says the taste is super as well. Taste like it smells. Yummy. So with this Frog Morton, aside from we would hope there is not actual FROG taste...hahah, what could you say it is like? Any other Tobacco taste or smell you could compare to it? I see it in the magazine Pipes and Cigars. It seems to be popular. And as funny as it is,, the name, FROG makes a person think it may be a good idea to LEAP on buying some! Hahah!
Just saw your question Cindy. Sorry for the slow reply. All of the Frog Morton series are English blends & so contain Syrian Latakia tobacco in the blend. English blends & Latakia in general tend to smell like a wood campfire. English blends also frequently contain Perique &/or Oriental tobaccos which tastes very black peppery. English blends are sort of like Scotch whisky; you usually either like them or you don't, & usually the non pipe smoker doesn't care for the room note.

I'm not familiar with the Vanilla Custard he likes but I looked it up to see it is a blend of Burley, Virginia & Black Cavendish tobaccos with the vanilla topping. Based on that he might like Peterson's Nutty Cut which is another aromatic blend with Burley, Virginias & Black Cavendish tobaccos with a flavoring of rum, macadamia nuts & beans. It has a real pleasant room note. I like it some around the holiday season & just finished a tin I had jarred last yr.

He might also like Boswell's Christmas Cookie aromatic blend which is a blend of two kinds of Cavendish tobaccos & a Vanilla/butter creme & whiskey flavoring. Not one I happen to like but it is very popular & well liked among aromatic blends.

You can buy the Peterson's Nutty Cut from Pipes & Cigars. You would have to buy Boswell's Christmas Cookie (available all year!) direct from Boswell's. They also have several other aromatics that he might like & I believe they will sell a variety sample pack of several blends. Link below:

http://boswellpipes.com/tobacco/boswell-blends/boswell-aromatic-blends/

Again, sorry for the late reply. I'd be glad to help with any further recommendations.

Scooterz

Practically Family
Question, I have one of my dad's old pipes. Not sure what it is. I have not found a picture with the same type of connector at the joint online anywhere. What is that kind of metal joint/airtube called? Is it supposed to double as a pipe tool? DadsPipesm.jpg mouthpiecetenon.jpg

Question, I have one of my dad's old pipes. Not sure what it is. I have not found a picture with the same type of connector at the joint online anywhere. What is that kind of metal joint/airtube called? Is it supposed to double as a pipe tool? View attachment 65304 View attachment 65305
It's called a stinger & their purpose was to cool the smoke & condense water vapor. They are not supposed to be removable & therefore not be used as a pipe tool. But they can usually be permanently removed by twisting them out with pliers. They don't really make a difference in the flavor or quality of pipe smoking, just something extra to keep clean so most stingers end up being removed. See picture below.

The leather covered pipe was first made by Longchamp but Medico probably made the most. The leather cover was marketed as being cool to the hand but the importance was it allowed the manufacturer to use 2nd grade briar with pits & fills for the stummel & cover them up with leather.

1z522cj.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
Today was a Rocky Patel Twentieth Anniversary, a 6 x 60, it was packed a bit too tight for my taste, but still a good smoke. I have several more in the humidor and may take one out to let it dry a bit. I have found a cigar that draws too hard straight from the shop sometimes loosens up a bit after its humidity has gone down.

Peacoat

Bartender
And today was another Rocky Patel, a Nimmy-D in a 6x60. This one was packed just right and was a good smoke. There are several from the Rocky Patel family I like. I used to smoke the 54 ring gage cigars, but my shop has a much better selection in the 60 ring and I have come to prefer them. Probably won't go back to the 54 ring.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
My daughter gave me a box of Cohiba Esplendidos for Christmas. It's a really good smoke. Usually I choose a Siglo VI, but this is a far smoother, richer textured smoke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112