Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Dnewma04

One of the Regulars
Released about a year ago, this has aged very well.

82aaa87ff2be6e7c26f5df8fc8064edf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShortAndCashed

One of the Regulars
Back 40 paw paw peach, something from blue pants (I didn't order it) and an Irish car bomb while out with wife and co. for my birthday and st paddys yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, some of the purists around here may jump on you for not calling it a kangaroo cocktail and I say, well I better not but it's a favorite of mine. Had a couple at home Sunday night. I like mine dirty with jalapeño stuffed olives.

I had a friend who made the "gin is the only real martini" argument ("the herbals in the gin form a unique taste with the vermouth, etc."). Sure, it's a solid argument and it's fine - but the culture picked up, took its language and moved on and now, IMHO, calls too-many things a martini, which destroyed the word's precision - but the horse isn't coming back to the barn.

I'd prefer it never happened - I like the exactness of the old definition as there's an elegance to the word and its meaning that way. But language is for communication - it's not a personal tool kit - so holding on to a discarded definition has no real value.

A good debate to have over a few martinis.

A good debate to have over a few martinis.

Well said. I never felt that vodka over gin was staying too far, though many of today's concoctions (Cosmo's, appletinis, chocolate and such) aren't even in the same neighborhood. I'm just not a fan of gin. Vodka is so commonly used in this area when ordering a martini, the typical response is which vodka do you prefer?

Well said. I never felt that vodka over gin was staying too far, though many of today's concoctions (Cosmo's, appletinis, chocolate and such) aren't even in the same neighborhood. I'm just not a fan of gin. Vodka is so commonly used in this area when ordering a martini, the typical response is which vodka do you prefer?

Agree completely in the straying craziness (the term "appletinis" is particularly hateful) and, in NYC, I'd say vodka is more popular than gin for martinis too, but personally, I like the herbal flavors of gin which began as a kid just sniffing the open bottle of Beefeater (hey, don't judge me, what else is there for a kid do in the suburbs in the '70s).

No judging here. Where I grew up there were knuckleheads sniffing gas and paint.

I had friends who sniffed glue (who didn't), but I was always turned off by the smell. And having worked as a gas station attendant form a young (pre-working-permit) age, I had no truck with sniffing gasoline. But I have very clear memories of sniffing different types of alcohol and, then, when I got a bit older and more courageous (or less scared), I, of course, started sampling. Hence, straight mini-shots was my introduction to many liquors. Gave me an early understanding of their pure tastes that you never get if you start with mixed drinks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112