Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
LEUII said:
I shave with a couple of Dovo straight razors, a Vulfix badger brush, and hard soap.

There are four or five old cutthroats in my dresser drawer, but I don't have the guts to try one. They'd need a going-over anyway by someone who knows how. Three of them are enormous old black handled German pieces. The blades must be almost 2" wide.

One of these days...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
shoeshineboy said:
Brad,

are you going to give it a try ???

mark

Mark,

I plan on it. I've been using a badger brush and shaving soap for a few years now, but have been wanting to get a double-edged safety razor. It's on my list of things to purchase.:)

Brad

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good day All
I have used most modern market razors. I have a old adjustable safety razor. I also own a few electric razors. My facial hair has been described as razor stubble. But I also have sensitive skin so I am always trying to find a more comfortable shave. If I am trying to look my best I use the safety razor. Usually the night before just in case of nicks. the adjustable part I do use. my neck is more sensitive then my face so I need to change the setting. Same as I do with an electric. I recently bought the new Gillette fusion, one of the most comfortable shaves I have ever had, I could even go against the grain without fear of razor burn. BUT you need to go against the grain to get a close shave. On the fly, to busy to shave properly, just need to drag something across your face to look "work place" presentable. This is the razor I use. Need to look GOOD I use my safety razor. Traveling I have a Norelco electric (good enough for bond).
Johnny.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Brad,

I used a merkur progess this morning, it is a little heavier than the HD and it shaved real good.

Recently on one of the forums a guy said that he was sorry that he bought the Futur or Vision first. As soon as he bought the HD, his shaves became tremendous.

I think once he gets past the learning curve, than he will get even better at the other razor.

You can check with QED to check his price, but there might be a used one on the selling forum and it could save you some money. I just got a 30's model 3 piece "most basic" Gillette and it shaves real good too.

It really gets down to prep, correct angles, and short easy strokes. (i'm talking about shaving)

Did you have a chance to read the article yet ?

mark the shoeshine boy

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Zohar said:
Those of you that use a shaving brush and cream/soap would probably be interested in knowing that Target stores in the USA are now carrying Proraso shaving cream (in the tube, and tub), along with some other products. It's a fantastic shaving cream, with eucalyptus oil for a refreshing chill when you rinse.

I got some last week, and I'm very pleased with it. Their non-alcoholic aftershave is really nice as well.

Just back from Target, Zohar. You're right; I wandered everywhere looking for that stuff until I was prepared to accept guidance from my wife, who walked me straight to it.
Got some of the Proraso pre-shave cream and the shaving cream in a tube, along with some other interesting stuff from that display. Waaaay over by the ladies' cosmetics, for pete sake. [huh]
Back over with the hair stuff, they had a small jar of Crew hair pomade. Anyone ever use it? At $15, I thought I'd look for input first. The label said it contained Brilliantine.

EDIT One day later: You're right, Zohar, nice stuff. THANKS for the tip.

Indybill

New in Town
I can't seem to find the seller or the Personna blades meantioned above. If anyone can point me in the right direction, thanks.

I did find someone selling "Derby Extra" safety blades in a lot of 100, but it's not 'buy it now'. Has anyone here ever used them?

Cheers,
Indybill

Indybill

New in Town
Thanks Zohar. I honestly searched for an hour looking for this seller; I just couldn't get the search engine to bring him up for some reason.

Cheers,
indybill

mantic

New in Town
shoeshineboy said:
I used a merkur progess this morning, it is a little heavier than the HD and it shaved real good.
Newbie here, cross-pollinated from Shavemyface, first post on Fedora.

I am also a happy Merkur Progess user...you will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. :p I can either leave the setting alone if I'm in a hurry or don't want to be troubled with it, or I can adjust it for each pass for an exceptionally close, comfortable shave. Its all in the technique (for which there is a learning curve).

So...where is the newbie faq around here? I've always had a hankering to wear a hat like Harry Anderson on the old "Night Court" TV series. :)

--Mark

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've noticed that my once super-sensitive skin has gotten a lot less sensitive since I hit age 40 or so. Anybody else notice this phenomenon? It's one of the few nice things I've discovered about getting older.

Grimstar

Familiar Face
I use a Gillette Tuckaway in a fitted, art deco, silver case...with NOS Wilkinson blades...I have, well, maybe not a lifetime supply, but it should be a few years before I have to find more. :p
razor2.jpg

razor1.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics....shiny things are not so easy to photograph. lol

Grimstar

Familiar Face
Zach R. said:
That razor is terrible! You should send it to me so I can properly dispose of it.:D
ROFL You would really be green if I told you what I paid for it....something like 12 bucks on ebay...

Economics of shaving ... cheapest disposable razor you can buy, about $1.25 each, good for maybe one shave before you have to toss it (not really good for even one, but you know what I mean) cost of gillette double edged blades, about 10 cents each, if you buy them in the right place, and they're good for...at least a week, for me (about 6 or 7 shaves, at least) The math isn't hard to do ;) Anyone using disposables is, as my dad would have said, throwing good money down a hole.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My husband uses, I believe, the Mach III razor.

For a long time he was using expensive shaving creams and lotions - and then he discovered shaving soap and a brush. He claims he gets the best shaves with them, and it is certainly much less costly!

Right now he is using some type of French lavender shave soap that I got him for Christmas. Normally though, he just uses the plain old Williams shave soap in the blue/white box! The brush is a badger one that was also a Christmas gift from me.

Growing up, my dad always shaved with soap and a brush.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Also, which Merkur do you fellas recommend? I'm thinking of surprising my hubby with one, but I'm not sure about whether to go with the $26 classic or up to the $99 one. Any advice?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks!

He has several (and by several, I mean about 12) vintage 1940s safety razors. I wonder if I just picked up the nicer German blades, if they would do the same job in the older razor?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Is he a hairy chap?

If he has a thick, stubborn or coarse beard, that will make a difference. I understand that a "long comb" razor is better in such instances.
I can't speak highly enough of my Merkur 1904 (regular comb). I've used it every day since the end of January. It's well made and does a fine job. My beard is not heavy or coarse.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
FW Gal...

I can't say enough about the Merkur HD...Followed by a Long Handle and then a Progress Adjustable...

Both of you need to visit www.badgerandblade.com and look over some of the reviews of various razors, brushes and soaps/creams. Plus you can pick up a lot of tips and techniques with the thread that we have.

www.shavemyface.com is another great place to visit.

I have quite a few soaps and creams, but not as many as others. However, have him try Taylor's Lavender or Trumpers Rose. Proraso can now be bought in USA at the Target chain stores. That is a great soap too.

I grew up in a barber shop and learned to shave from the barbers. I got away from the basics and started the mach 3 route. I back on track over tow years ago and never looked back. My shaves are great and my skin looks younger and softer to touch.....

let me know if you need any more info.

mark the shoeshine boy

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
fortworthgal said:
Thanks!

He has several (and by several, I mean about 12) vintage 1940s safety razors. I wonder if I just picked up the nicer German blades, if they would do the same job in the older razor?

I'd love to have that problem.

Yes, I'd give that a shot first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ