Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
Disposable razors are useless for heavy stubble. They have only one blade edge and that clogs easily. And do I want to be throwing away lots of plastic like that? The only thing I'm throwing away is small amounts of recyclable metal and not much of it in a single year (about enough to make a watch bracelet? Probably not even that.)

The manner of shaving with disposable angled heads encourages you to press too hard. It's true people cut themselves with DE razors, now and back in the heyday, but they are also pressing too hard. I still do now and again when I'm not taking care or in too much of a rush.

I currently use a hog's hair brush I've had since around 2002 and it hasn't shed much hair. It was around €7 or €8.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
My hair is relatively fine (I was born a redhead) and this is still my heyday. I probably go through one package of disposable razors in a year.

Anyone ever notice old medicine cabinets that had a slot in the back to put your old razor blades in? I even recall a Mad Magazine comic about the world being overrun with used razor blades--and that was sixty years ago.

Disposable razors are useless for heavy stubble. They have only one blade edge and that clogs easily. And do I want to be throwing away lots of plastic like that? The only thing I'm throwing away is small amounts of recyclable metal and not much of it in a single year (about enough to make a watch bracelet? Probably not even that.)

The manner of shaving with disposable angled heads encourages you to press too hard. It's true people cut themselves with DE razors, now and back in the heyday, but they are also pressing too hard. I still do now and again when I'm not taking care or in too much of a rush.

I currently use a hog's hair brush I've had since around 2002 and it hasn't shed much hair. It was around €7 or €8.

Yeah, the problem on dispozable razors and strong beard. I got really strong, blade-killing stubbles and on using a usual cheap dispozable razor, the first strokes would "crush" their thin and maximum sharpened blades, which are surely more optimized for medical use. So the rest of the shave would be evil scraping. I tried a pack of the cheapest single-blade yellow disposable razos, years ago. It's no fun for me.

But I think, for soft beards, it could be really ok!

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
I recall that my grandfather would throw them on the coal fire and they melted! Like I said though, I end up with a little stack of DE blades at the end of the year, maybe no more than 2 or 2.5cm , and they go to the recycling place.

All said and done, with the number of electric shavers that have taken the place of wet shaving since the 1950s, there wasn't much blade waste any longer until Gillette's plastic cartridge avalanche. It matters I suppose how well a country deals with its recycling.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
The disposables I use are twin-blades. Considering all the other refuse I create in my life, disposable razors are insignificant. I remember one of my old bosses where I worked when I was in college saying that it seemed like he got a better shave with a dull razor. That's what he said, anyway.

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
The disposables I use are twin-blades. Considering all the other refuse I create in my life, disposable razors are insignificant. I remember one of my old bosses where I worked when I was in college saying that it seemed like he got a better shave with a dull razor. That's what he said, anyway.

What at both ends? What I mean is with a DE you can spin the head around and shave again before rinsing. I don't think any unnecessary refuse is insignificant; if I can substitute it with something better and cheaper that creates less waste, it seems worth it to me.

Now as to dull razors...it's an unusual thing, but it's like you have to break-in the blade sometimes.

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
Hey. Just found this thread!!!
Being a newbie in hats, I was drown to this Forum. I'm a member of several shaving forums, but don't get in them as much as here. Nice to have a place to read about shaving.

I'm a collector and user. I used to buy and trade, but I don't buy nor get rid of any now because I've let some good ones go. I use DE's, SE's and straights. But still like to read about the modern day cartridge shaving too. :)

Do y'all ever post pics on here or just discuss. I usually post a pic on Instagram though.

Anyway, look forward to seeing the talks ahead. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Epemethius

New in Town
"Anyone ever notice old medicine cabinets that had a slot in the back to put your old razor blades in?"

Yes, I renovated a bathroom having one of those medicine cabinets. There was a pile of rusty razor blades behind the lath-and-plaster wall. I removed them very carefully.

I changed from cartridges to DE shavers. I have a few razors and shaving scutttles and a variety of soaps. The time spent in the morning is me-time, a 10 minute spa. Good quality shaving creams make a difference, even if you stay with disposable cartridges.

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
Fridays Shave of the Day!

da37716211e83fad2832763be70bd5f1.jpg

WSP Gaelic Tweed Rustic Shaving Soap
Semogue 1305 Boar Brush
Wolfman WR1 OC
ATT Kronos Handle
Feather Blade
Irisch Moos Aftershave

f8d60072e4ed48baa58851b67e82f236.jpg

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I was just in Vancouver on vacation and ran across a gentleman's store that sold high end razors, pens, shirts etc. So I ended up buying a Kent silver tip brush. Now I am not a big fan of using just one piece of an animal and discarding the rest BUT boy is it soft! He also threw in a sample cream which I have not tried yet.

Mike

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I have lately been trying out all the different barbershops around Indy that offer hot-towel straight-razor shaves. I hit a new one every couple of weeks. In between that, I have been using some disposable 5-blade contraption for about a year - the same one - and it still shaves me just fine.

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
Here's Last Night's shave:

47f1a766df3e17d697dc5fc1206d32bf.jpg

A Sample of soap from Finland -
Razor Master's Uula
Ever Ready C40/ Horse Hair knot
1936 Gillette Aristocrat
Feather Blade
Fine Snake Bite

0ff68467270cc4ff9aaecc3dc287f6a5.jpg

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
I was just in Vancouver on vacation and ran across a gentleman's store that sold high end razors, pens, shirts etc. So I ended up buying a Kent silver tip brush. Now I am not a big fan of using just one piece of an animal and discarding the rest BUT boy is it soft! He also threw in a sample cream which I have not tried yet.

Mike

Silver Tip Badger is my favorite!! What Sample of Soap did you get?

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
I have lately been trying out all the different barbershops around Indy that offer hot-towel straight-razor shaves. I hit a new one every couple of weeks. In between that, I have been using some disposable 5-blade contraption for about a year - the same one - and it still shaves me just fine.

It's hard to beat a Straight Razor shave. :)

1930artdeco

Practically Family
CAP...He gave me a cream that apparently comes from England where the maker has been for around 100 years. Same building everything. I found it on Amazon for $65 a tube-I just cant remember the name. When I get home I will try and post the name. I did try it out though today and the results are encouraging!

Mike

P.S. I found it and it is called 'Eucris'

Last edited:

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
CAP...He gave me a cream that apparently comes from England where the maker has been for around 100 years. Same building everything. I found it on Amazon for $65 a tube-I just cant remember the name. When I get home I will try and post the name. I did try it out though today and the results are encouraging!

Mike

P.S. I found it and it is called 'Eucris'

Eucris!!! I haven't tried it, have heard great things about it. Old School England Scent!!!

Are you still liking it?

Cap_7597

A-List Customer
A friend sent me a RFB Gillette New to try out! Amazingly good.

aab940c91d45ef0ea803a10772b8ccbe.jpg

It's as smooth as my Short Comb New and as aggressive as my LC New. Best of both worlds.

I have it on a Stainless Steel handle made by Charcoal Shaving Goods.

bcdcbeefc084ea7399489bd39f8e8f93.jpg

Antica Barbieria Colla
The GrayDog Horse Hair
Gillette RFB New
Pol-Silver Blade
Clubman Vanilla

2 Pass BBS!

76359c9abfb0259491fc00356b9426e3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members