Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does "seal" mean in reference to leather?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Right. It indicates a very dark brown, typically with a deep red or black undertone. The term actually was used in the military specs describing the WWII flight jackets.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I wasn't able to grasp wearing a jacket made from seal :)

462.jpg

Lando

Practically Family
It's not so outlandish really. Arctic explorers wore seal because it retained heat well and was naturally very water resistant. Now I'm not talking about its fashion use mind you, but as a leather for cold, wet climates it was very well suited through out history.

It's not so outlandish really. Arctic explorers wore seal because it retained heat well and was naturally very water resistant. Now I'm not talking about its fashion use mind you, but as a leather for cold, wet climates it was very well suited through out history.

I don't think anyone is saying seal jackets are not cool and useful for those in the right environment. This abomination is nothing but a sad fashion statement for kids with more money than willingness to use it in actual cold weather for more than parading around with their pals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points