Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does your hat color say? What does it go with?

1OldGI

Familiar Face
Strictly a brown (and shades of) and straw guy myself. I guess 25 years in fatigues, BDUs and flightsuits, sealed my fate. Oddly enough though since leaving the military in 2005 I've had a total aversion to black shoes. And wear exclusively brown shoes so that may have something to do with my choice of hat colors. After all, nothing says "Dufus!" quite like a gray hat with khaki pants, a brown belt and brown shoes.

I've recently eyeballed a silverbelly campdraft but think at the end of the day I'll go with the tawny color instead. I hate to have such a nice hat that sits in the closet because it's the wrong color.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Agent_of_Empire said:
I started doing some research into the colors of hats commonly available, mostly to determine what colored suits a hat might go well with. As I looked more into hats and their colors I also started to look into the different connotations of colors. This is just a quick guide to the information that I have compiled from a few sources.

Which art school did you visit, and did the hippies at least align your chakras while imparting this wisdom upon you?
chakra_img.gif

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:
Why do I think Mr. P. is looking for a snake?

You are correct, sir! And I found him about eight feet to the right...3 1/2 feet long and 9 rattles. I kept the rattles. Wonder how a snakeskin band would look on a Camp Draft?

But I really liked the other ideas as well...

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Grey with black band: I am dull and boring and omnipresent, but I am in good taste.
Grey with any other color band: I know about hats.
Black: I am either serious, or trying to look serious as an ironic pose.
Charcoal grey: This hat is not black.
Navy blue: Neither is this one.
Dark brown: I have taste, but it's a dark brown taste.
Cinnamon brown: I am fond of baked goods.
Olive: No clothing I own looks good with this hat.
Taupe: I am enough of a fuddy-duddy to know what "taupe" is.
Tan or silverbelly: I am outdoorsy, and perhaps armed.
Royal blue: No clothing anyone owns looks good with this hat.
Forest or sage green: I am that guy in the green hat.
Lime green: I am either a. an Italian currently in Italy or b. a hopeless dork.
Yellow: I am a member of the Junior Dick Tracy Club.
White (felt): I am either a. the bad guy who thinks this makes him look like the good guy, or b. Tom Wolfe.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Grey with black band: I am dull and boring and omnipresent, but I am in good taste.
Grey with any other color band: I know about hats.
Black: I am either serious, or trying to look serious as an ironic pose.
Charcoal grey: This hat is not black.
Navy blue: Neither is this one.
Dark brown: I have taste, but it's a dark brown taste.
Cinnamon brown: I am fond of baked goods.
Olive: No clothing I own looks good with this hat.
Taupe: I am enough of a fuddy-duddy to know what "taupe" is.
Tan or silverbelly: I am outdoorsy, and perhaps armed.
Royal blue: No clothing anyone owns looks good with this hat.
Forest or sage green: I am that guy in the green hat.
Lime green: I am either a. an Italian currently in Italy or b. a hopeless dork.
Yellow: I am a member of the Junior Dick Tracy Club.
White (felt): I am either a. the bad guy who thinks this makes him look like the good guy, or b. Tom Wolfe.

Sounds like a lose, lose situation to me. lol

Neil

A-List Customer
Pretty funny

And I think mostly right on the button. I have a dark moss green hat, and it does mismatch almost annoyingly with everything.

1OldGI

Familiar Face
Mr. Paladin said:
You are correct, sir! And I found him about eight feet to the right...3 1/2 feet long and 9 rattles. I kept the rattles. Wonder how a snakeskin band would look on a Camp Draft?

But I really liked the other ideas as well...

Please do it and post pics, I've been wondering about snakeskin bands for a while, I bet it would look pretty keen on a tan colored Campdraft and a 9 button rattle would make a really nice "feather" for such a hat band. My problem is all the on-line sources seem to sell western (as opposed to eastern) diamond backs. It just wouldn't be sporty to walk around in Florida with a western diamondback hatband.

On another note, your picture looks just like the back five acres of the house I lived in, in Abilene, before I retired and came home. What part of Texas do you live in?

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1OldGI said:
On another note, your picture looks just like the back five acres of the house I lived in, in Abilene, before I retired and came home. What part of Texas do you live in?

That is the ranch I grew up on in West Central Texas. It is on the highway between Santa Anna and Brady just south of the Colorado River (the other one). It is about 80 miles from Abilene and 70 miles east of San Angelo. Lots of rattlers there; we used to hunt them alive for the Sweetwater Round-up and for a vaccine mfger. My mom sold the place three years ago when she could no longer live that far out in the country, and I was too far away to maintain it. It was the best place in the world to me...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Tiller said:
So, I'm guessing green fedoras aren't that popular, and most people don't like them.
Go to Bavaria and a dark green hat will be so common that it's almost inconspicuous. I am not a sterotyper, saying that all Germans wear green loden hats (I am half German and used to live there after all) but it is true that they are very common in Bavaria.

immortaldiamond

Familiar Face
Gilgamark said:
I've completely gotten off black. It looks too formal with just about anything. I've replaced all my blacks with grays. Gray is much more versatile.
I have a very dark green (looks black in some lights) cashmere fedora which is very versatile. It's from Worth&Worth in New York, made by Guerro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana