Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What era of dress or style doyou prefer?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
UK - post war, pre-rock and roll: Due to clothing rationing and the general post-war war shortages, men wore a mixure of whatever was available. Old 1930s jackets with mis-matched trousers (since suit trousers were worn out). Nicely relaxed when necessary, but with the ability to be smart when necessary. Hats starting to go out of fashion, shoes still great, Tootal ties and scarves ever-dominant. But with elements of American fashions thrown in.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Thank you, Gin&Tonics :)
I was blessed last month in finding a late 1890's copy of Lord Tennysons complete poems! The cover is literally hanging on by threads and I do fear it shall fall apart but I have determined to read at least on page a day until I have finished. I begin with, "Claribel (a melody)".
I feel as if I should be wearing white gloves in order to hold it!

It was a great buy...FREE!!!!

Wow, you really found yourself a genuine treasure there! Honestly, white gloves might not be a bad idea; the oils from your hands will speed up the decay of the paper to a certain extent. You know, there are people who can restore old book bindings; you might sniff around a bit and see if it could be done at a reasonable price. Congrats on the find and I hope you enjoy it! You'll have to keep us posted on what you think of it.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Mostly early Thirties, with a conservative English cut. In my opinion men and women looked their best in the early Thirties, as did cars, aeroplanes, and just about everything else.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty sure that the mid '50s to the mid '60s is my favorite time of clothing styles (mainly for the suits, and some of the casual styles). I like slightly narrow lapels and pants for suits, and I am having a 3 inch width tie made (I don't think it's that narrow though). I used to think I really liked the suits of the '30s and '40s, but the ties and trousers are too wide for my tastes right now. I particularly like the leather jackets and uniform styles of that time though.

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
Really like the late 30's thur 40's fashion styles for men. Partial to 40's and 50's fashion styles on women. They just seemed so elegant thru those eras. Hard to beat IMHO.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Mid 1950s... People at work keep calling me "the Arizona Sheriff". Though next week I am going to wear khaki with sidezip boots and one of the pant legs half tucked in....

RichardH

One of the Regulars
30s to late 40s early 50s for both men an women. I do think that the pants on the suits made in the 40s can be a bit too wide, but aside from that, that's my favorite era.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
1930's-1940's I noticed there are more 1940's girls in the UK then there are in the states. Which makes me wish there was more 1940's here. In the states its mostly 1950's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana