Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Just got this LL Bean/Stetson Moose River. I took the Stetson name plate off the hat band, which was glued on. It messed up the finish on the band, so I put a fly in its place.
That's a nice touch that suits the hat well without being too obvious or ostentatious.

I really dislike it when hat companies "brand" their hats with the company name--it could be the highest quality hat ever made, but putting "Stetson" (or "Akubra", or "Borsalino") so visibly on the outside of the hat makes it look like a cheap tourist item. I know why they do it, but I would think "word of mouth" from a satisfied customer would do the job just as well, if not better.

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
That's a nice touch that suits the hat well without being too obvious or ostentatious.

I really dislike it when hat companies "brand" their hats with the company name--it could be the highest quality hat ever made, but putting "Stetson" (or "Akubra", or "Borsalino") so visibly on the outside of the hat makes it look like a cheap tourist item. I know why they do it, but I would think "word of mouth" from a satisfied customer would do the job just as well, if not better.

Agreed. I hate that Borsalino is putting the name in gold on the ribbon of some of their hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got this LL Bean/Stetson Moose River. I took the Stetson name plate off the hat band, which was glued on. It messed up the finish on the band, so I put a fly in its place.
58311167d22b5ac8d438322d2521d3ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice looking. The fly fits. Are you a MG person? Based on your screen name, I've wondered.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Bob Jesse and I traded emails last week as he's been working on a refurb for me on a 50's Royal Stetson. Cleaned, reblocked, a wear spot worked on, a replacement vintage liner, reflange the brim. It's gonna be sweet. Bob was able to reuse the ribbon/bow (brownish burgundy) as well as the contrasting brim binding (yellowish gold). The felt is taupe and feels like velvet.

Looks a lot like the Racine to my eye.
When I looked up a Racine it sure does look like that.....it seems the Racine is no longer available and perhaps turned into the Premier Whippet line of hats. Whereas the Racine was available in apparently one color the whippets are available in 5..........interesting.....I suppose the Whippet name sells better....
M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk