Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
In the Mayan Jungle

Exploring the tomb in the Temple of the Jaguar in Palenque, Mexico (well, two weeks ago that's what I was doing) in my Adventurebilt...

DSCN4295.jpg

And a little while ago, wearing my Paul's Hat Works (San Francisco, CA) Panama holding my 1938 Kumulae ukulele...

craigkumulae.jpg

KC

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Nice Uke, now can you play it? ;) :D
I have four or five and I can't play anything. :eusa_doh: :p

Regards,

J

Yes, I play it. Pretty easy, since it's only four strings. With three or four chords you can play lots of songs. I own about 15 vintage ukes, some Martins, Kamakas, etc.

This was purchased at the Northern California Ukulele Festival in Hayward. It's each year on the fourth Sunday in April. You oughta come to it, James...KC

Kaleponi Craig said:
Yes, I play it. Pretty easy, since it's only four strings. With three or four chords you can play lots of songs. I own about 15 vintage ukes, some Martins, Kamakas, etc.

This was purchased at the Northern California Ukulele Festival in Hayward. It's each year on the fourth Sunday in April. You oughta come to it, James...KC

Geez, I ought to come next year. Remind me.
You can also teach me how to play if you see me. ;) :p

Regards,

J

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I wore my Brent Airlite all last week while we were in AK.
Chose it because it wouldn't matter if anything terrible happened to it. Mediocre felt, with some big moth bites. Funny that it's called the Airlite- seems pretty heavyweight to me.
How 'bout that band?

As it turned out, the hat did fine, held up great in the rain. Only thing I had problems with were my glasses, they flew off my face in Icy Straight point while I was doing a zip line (largest in the world; over a mile long, 1300 foot drop, 60+ mph top speed).

Last edited:

Slugwart

New in Town
Hi All

Been lurking a while but never posted before. I picked up my first fedora 2 weeks ago after researching here for a few months. I got an Akubra Federation deluxe in person at The Hattery (Hats Direct's actual store) in Katoomba. An interesting observation I discovered about Akubra sizing is that size 59 is a rather rough estimate of that size. I measured at exactly 58.5 cm and tried 3 size 58 and 4 size 59 before finding one that was a perfect fit. There was quite a bit of variation between the size of hats which were all supposed to be the same.

Anyway, here is my first attempt of bashing my own hat, which I now proudly where to work to unanimous positive comment.

hat1-1ic0znud.jpg

hpim0224-46xeugi7y.jpg

hpim0221-46xf30wik.jpg

hpim0231-46xf420qi.jpg

duggap

Banned
Slugwart, you must be a fast learner. The bash you put in your hat looks like something an old pro would do. Oh, and welcome to the lounge.:eusa_clap

D

dzacca

Slugwart, congratulation on your new Fed DL :eusa_clap

I've got exactly the same size you have, and the 58 Fed DL they sent me is at least a 59, so yes, akubra fed has a very rough estimate on their sizes... [huh]

BTW, welcome to the lounge :)

Edward

Bartender
Great hats, make me feel positively insecure re mine!!

Today I'm wearing a hat I picked up last year from (of all places) a Western / line dance wear store on eBay UK. They sell this hat in a couple of other colours (olive, tan, brown) as their "Indiana-style hat"... according to them it's actually a Boston, though it seems to me to be a simple variation on the Fedora theme. Full wool felt, crushable - it's been squashed and snapped right back into shape a fair few times now. I do love wearing this hat - I wish I could get them in grey and navy for what I paid for it; I'm tempted by the tan colour for wearing with linen as an alternative to a panama. Cost me GBP30 - currently that's about USD60. Seems to stand up very well to heavy rain, unlike other cheaper hats I've encountered in the past. Brim is 2 3/4- 3", I estimate (never actually measured it).

This is the hat on its first outing in 2006, at the Candybox Burlesque Wild West night, when I decided to take advantage of my then very-recently shaved head and go as a vague approximation of Yul Brynner....

Uploaded310706CandyBoxIII2006016.jpg

I want to pick up a few Bogart / Indy style fedoras, though it seems to me that for now anywhere that does them period-correct in the UK seems to be very expensive? I don't mind paying a little more for a quality hat that will take a full on thunderstorm several times a year without the brim drooping after six months, but I'm afraid I'm at a loss when it comes to being certain about tings like that.... I doubt I could justify spending more than about GBP50 on a single hat as well.... any guidance?

warbird

One Too Many
Edward said:
Great hats, make me feel positively insecure re mine!!

Today I'm wearing a hat I picked up last year from (of all places) a Western / line dance wear store on eBay UK. They sell this hat in a couple of other colours (olive, tan, brown) as their "Indiana-style hat"... according to them it's actually a Boston, though it seems to me to be a simple variation on the Fedora theme. Full wool felt, crushable - it's been squashed and snapped right back into shape a fair few times now. I do love wearing this hat - I wish I could get them in grey and navy for what I paid for it; I'm tempted by the tan colour for wearing with linen as an alternative to a panama. Cost me GBP30 - currently that's about USD60. Seems to stand up very well to heavy rain, unlike other cheaper hats I've encountered in the past. Brim is 2 3/4- 3", I estimate (never actually measured it).

This is the hat on its first outing in 2006, at the Candybox Burlesque Wild West night, when I decided to take advantage of my then very-recently shaved head and go as a vague approximation of Yul Brynner....

I want to pick up a few Bogart / Indy style fedoras, though it seems to me that for now anywhere that does them period-correct in the UK seems to be very expensive? I don't mind paying a little more for a quality hat that will take a full on thunderstorm several times a year without the brim drooping after six months, but I'm afraid I'm at a loss when it comes to being certain about tings like that.... I doubt I could justify spending more than about GBP50 on a single hat as well.... any guidance?

Akubra has a couple of nice Bogart and fedora hats, www.hatsdirect.com. One the left lcick on Fedora Hats. Great hats, inexpensive and tough as nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21