Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The excellence continues, thanks to ALL of you!!

Following yesterday's growth of great green hats, the M&K Custom, ca mid-1940s. My oldest greenie.

DSC08626.jpg DSC08633.jpg DSC08635.jpg DSC08636.jpg

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Thanks... it's in good condition, looks like it wasn't much used.
Too hard to find info about Attaboy hats.
From this website: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/old-hat-why-the-heady-days-are-over-495010.html

"...Denton Hat Company, in south Manchester. The area had been the centre of the hat manufacturing trade, a spin-off from the wool and cotton-based industries of the north of England. At one time, there were more than 90 factories, employing around 24,000 people. Stockport made felt hats, Denton used rabbit fur.

First established by the family in the 1920s, the company employed 300 people and at its peak in the 1930s, it was responsible for a quarter of all men's hats sold in the United Kingdom.

Its production line churned out more than 100,000 felt hats a week, sold under the trade name of "Attaboy". They were worn by popular entertainers such as Wilfred Pickles and film stars like Alec Guinness and sold by Marks and Spencer under their own brand name."

More interesting info on the Denton hat industry here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denton,_Greater_Manchester

Supposedly "Mad as a hatter" originated there.

;)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
From this website: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/old-hat-why-the-heady-days-are-over-495010.html

". . . Its production line churned out more than 100,000 felt hats a week, sold under the trade name of "Attaboy". They were worn by popular entertainers such as Wilfred Pickles and film stars like Alec Guinness and sold by Marks and Spencer under their own brand name."

More interesting info on the Denton hat industry here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denton,_Greater_Manchester

;)

Mmmm . . . nothing like a little mercury with your morning tea --!

Celia

A-List Customer

"...Denton Hat Company, in south Manchester. The area had been the centre of the hat manufacturing trade, a spin-off from the wool and cotton-based industries of the north of England. At one time, there were more than 90 factories, employing around 24,000 people. Stockport made felt hats, Denton used rabbit fur.

First established by the family in the 1920s, the company employed 300 people and at its peak in the 1930s, it was responsible for a quarter of all men's hats sold in the United Kingdom.

Its production line churned out more than 100,000 felt hats a week, sold under the trade name of "Attaboy". They were worn by popular entertainers such as Wilfred Pickles and film stars like Alec Guinness and sold by Marks and Spencer under their own brand name."

;)
Excellent, looks like you beat me to it - I posted some more info on the brand in the Homburg thread :)

Celia

A-List Customer
Late 40's green Whippet on Whippet Wednesday

e6ab3baf330a69433d23eb1b99460389.jpg

Cheers!
David
The excellence continues, thanks to ALL of you!!

Following yesterday's growth of great green hats, the M&K Custom, ca mid-1940s. My oldest greenie.

View attachment 68231 View attachment 68232 View attachment 68233 View attachment 68234
I'm loving the green hats here lately. These two are real beauties!

Thanks for all of the kind words about the new Borsalino.

Today I was running late (and looking a bit goofy) under ye ol' brown Premier Vita-Felt.

View attachment 68221 View attachment 68222 View attachment 68223 View attachment 68224 View attachment 68225 View attachment 68226

A wonderful Wednesday to all!
Ye ol' brown Premier Vita-Felt is great! I may have said it before, but I really like the colour of that ribbon.

Good to see it being worn. Great find!

I love that mega-bow. I was thinking this might be my favourite hat of yours, apart from the huge red one of course, but then I remembered the nice blue one and the cream one and all the other ones. Too hard to decide.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Phenomenal shape, phenomenal color. That is a king among hats.

Michael
Micahael, Thanks!

I REALLY covet this hat. It's a bold, blue 'burg! And the way you have it dented is very nice -- I like that the profile of the top is only subtly curved.
Thank you!

That vibrant blue just grabs me by the throat.
Bob, Thank you too!

Another beautiful homburg, nice high brim curl.
Celia, Thanks!

Beautiful Steve! That color is so rich and full looking. Wow, just wow!
Red, Thank you!

Last edited:
From the bounty of my black hat collection, here is an old Vanzina that might perhaps be a rare example of the work of this manufacturer before their absorption into Borsalino during or after the depression. The style has a tall crown and narrow brim, an alpine flavor which reflects the location of the retailer in Brunico, a southern Tyrolean city in Italy within 20 kilometers of the Austrian border. The basting thread that protects the ribbon and elaborate bow remains in place. I don't believe this hat was ever sold to or worn by a consumer. Daniele might have additional thoughts/information.

022217_1.jpg

022217_2.jpg

022217_3.jpg
022217_4.jpg

From the bounty of my black hat collection, here is an old Vanzina that might perhaps be a rare example of the work of this manufacturer before their absorption into Borsalino during or after the depression. The style has a tall crown and narrow brim, an alpine flavor which reflects the location of the retailer in Brunico, a southern Tyrolean city in Italy within 20 kilometers of the Austrian border. The basting thread that protects the ribbon and elaborate bow remains in place. I don't believe this hat was ever sold to or worn by a consumer. Daniele might have additional thoughts/information.

022217_1.jpg

022217_2.jpg

022217_3.jpg
022217_4.jpg
Alan, It's really fantastic! I very happy to see this hat. :)

022217_1.jpg

022217_2.jpg

022217_3.jpg
022217_4.jpg
Beautiful hat, killer jacket.

Celia

A-List Customer

022217_1.jpg

022217_2.jpg

022217_3.jpg
022217_4.jpg
That hat is so beautiful. The bow is just perfect. You have been wearing such stunning hats recently!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana