Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
Heading down south to Ecuador. I don't know how often I can get online, friends. I'll have my cell phone but other than that I don't know how often I can be online or the availability of internet cafes, especially when travelling.

Ecuador is a nice place, but if you read the US State Dept pages about the country you'll quickly see personal safety is paramount. I'm generally with family and have had no problems, but tourists can be targeted there so it's advisable NOT to stick out... my wife is adamant that I wear no flashy clothes, never walk around with a cell phone or camera in your hands, NEVER display cash in public.... and do NOT wear anything but an old ball cap on your head. Theft and robbery are huge, so is sequestro express, or kidnap express, where your taxi driver takes you down an alley where armed accomplices are waiting to rob you... and maybe assault you or worse... then you get dumped out in the country to find your way back on your own.

I've never had a problem in 5 years, but have seen some younger hoodlums casing us at the Malecon in Guayaquil. Thieves work in teams, too, so sometimes you get robbed and don't even know what happened.... distraction, spill food or water on you, steal your stuff and run away in the crowd.

Anyway, I can't just be sitting on the phone and/or internet when I'm out and about. At the family homes I'll try to touch base. I consider y'all my friends and I hope to take some pics to share with you later. Maybe a few during the trip. If you see me in a hat it'll be a Panama hat, most likely a Cuenca as we are heading there for a couple days. Home base is Quayaquil, the hottest, most humid city in the country. Ironicaly, though, it'll be 98-100F here in Oregon on Saturday/Sunday and only 85 in Guayaquil.

Take care, mates!

FedOregon (Doug), MrsFed, Jer-Berr, and LilFed

i-rCjfxPB-S.jpg
i-fgHLBSg-S.jpg

i-LcS9LQB-M.jpg
Have safe travels and enjoy my friend!!! :)

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
Didn't have a chance to process this image until this morning. Dress rehearsal for a play I'm Stage Managing at our local theater last night. One thing positive about being a "techie" backstage, you have to wear all black! It is a theater convention that if you are onstage in black, you are invisible. Well I was sort of invisible, I wore my Mallory 1823 dated Derby during scene changes. We run the next three weekends so my entire black collection will be getting a work out. It may be too hot in Oregon for felt over the weekend, but ... the show must go on!

View attachment 77432 View attachment 77433
LOVE THE BOWLER!!! Heat be damned I say! :)

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
This one is a nice early Mallory. Made in the USA, denoting it as a Derby. Tomorrow night, a Christy's made in England, making it a true bowler. Thanks, you need a derby. You would rock it.
Lol, my apologies I forgot about the terminology being different depending on country of origin. I think you are right I do need a Derby to go with my Christy's Bowler :)

Lol, my apologies I forgot about the terminology being different depending on country of origin. I think you are right I do need a Derby to go with my Christy's Bowler :)
At your size, they are a little tough to come by in vintage, but I would hold out for a nice old one. They do have a tendency to be a little tight in size, and hard to stretch. I enjoy wearing them. I have a couple that Mike at NW resized and put new sweats in and they fit like customs.

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family

RBH

Bartender
I had a great visit today from Brad Bowers. He stopped by my house on his trek back home. He started in Norwalk CT at the old Hat Corporation Of America building. He found some great info in their archives. After that he had a visit at Winchester Felt Factory , and then a stop at Buckaroo Hatters.
And today we enjoyed a long visit .... talking hats, hats and then hats again!
Thanks for stopping by Brad hope to see you around!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk