Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoff_1979

One of the Regulars
My Dobbs Temptation was a $40 ebay grab, mailed straight to my door. Original receipt was in the box, IIRC, a 1974 Dobbs for around $145... I think. Dark chocolate brown with a burgundy pug, I had to have the sweat replaced as it was disintegrating for some unexplained reason. It truly does fit like a glove because Mike Miller fit it to my head shape at the same time.

It's my favorite, non-custom, modern hat in my collection.

The short hair finish just shines in the sun,too!

i-xqLpdjm-L.jpg

i-DW35jv7-XL.jpg
What is the color of that ribbon? I want one for my Dobbs.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
What is the color of that ribbon? I want one for my Dobbs.
It's a dark wine or burgundy color. Very nice. I think mine came with both the pug and a ribbon. The pug was on it when it arrived and I just left it there as I liked it a lot.

There is a dark blue Temptation, too, that I've been looking at... they're nice hats!

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
My Dobbs Temptation was a $40 ebay grab, mailed straight to my door. Original receipt was in the box, IIRC, a 1974 Dobbs for around $145... I think. Dark chocolate brown with a burgundy pug, I had to have the sweat replaced as it was disintegrating for some unexplained reason. It truly does fit like a glove because Mike Miller fit it to my head shape at the same time.

It's my favorite, non-custom, modern hat in my collection.

The short hair finish just shines in the sun,too!

i-xqLpdjm-L.jpg

i-DW35jv7-XL.jpg
An absolutely fantastic series of lids sir! Looking great today with each!

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
Thanks Jeremy. I don't mind you asking, but I can't give you the answer. It has Made in Italy stamped onto the sweatband and printed on the size tag, but no manufacturer name. And I bought it second hand.
It looked an awful lot like another boater I was looking at. It was a Ponte Rialto and they have made in Italy in the sweat as well. It truly looks sharp!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Love both the hats. You make a great looking couple.

What hat is she wearing? Any more pics of it? Love the color.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
I was looking through old posts, and it looks like I never replied to you, Raven5. Apologies. MrsFed has on her Cavanagh hat, a gorgeous blueish gray felt that is a dream to hold and crease to whatever you want.

It was listed as a 7-3/8 but when it arrived it was clearly too small for me and under the sweat was a size tag of 6-7/8. Bummer for me, lucky for her. I'm seriously jealous.

i-wbHLB2L.jpg

i-cqj4kBF-L.jpg

i-8ngzsqw-L.jpg

Thanks Fed!
The bow on this one is unusual, the original ribbon and bow disinegrated from age when I removed it to refurbish the hat. There are a couple of pics I took before removal in the Keith Bros. Hats and Caps thread. I tried my best to duplicate the style of the bow, which was a big, carelessly made-looking thing positioned about 4/5 of the way to the back of the hat. Someone posted shortly after I first posted the hat that the style was popular for one or two years sometime in the teens, but he couldn't remember exactly when. My estimate on the age is sometime between 1915 and 1920.

I found a chart/image on the interwebs that shows style of bow just like what you are talking about. Not looking like they were off centered to the rear, but the fluffy style bow you have. This is the 1915 spring offerings of someone, maybe Keith?
Hat styles c1915.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I found a chart/image on the interwebs that shows style of bow just like what you are talking about. Not looking like they were off centered to the rear, but the fluffy style bow you have. This is the 1915 spring offerings of someone, maybe Keith?
View attachment 79409
Those bows are similar in bulkiness, but the one that was on my Tiger was much more crumpled and unkempt looking, and I'm pretty sure it was intentional, as it was stitched through in a few places holding it together in the form as seen in the pics posted in the KB thread. I couldn't copy it exactly, just tried for the size and "flavor".
As for the ad, I wonder if it is for a company that made house brand hats for men's clothiers? The language of the ad suggests it to me. Cool lids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko