Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose you are right that at least it wasn't forever. I just know how important this place is to Bob and I hate to see him be forced away from it for so long.

One of the best, most effective measures of discipline I learned when rearing our brood came from a seasoned Psychologist who specialized in Adolescents. We used this technique on all three of our kids when necessary, and I don't know how many other folks I've shared this with over the years, but EVERY one who tries this is amazed and delighted with the effectiveness.

When removing a privilege as a punishment (be it the car, cell phone, Fedora Lounge time, etc.) it needs only to be for about a day, and never more than two days.

Why? If behavior modification is the goal when taking away any such privilege, the period should be for an easily achievable time for the offender to comply. After a very few days, anything taken away is no longer missed, the offender gets used to not having the privilege, and the "punishment" effect diminishes. Moreover, once the privilege is returned if there are other infractions, the privilege can be taken away again. Drives 'em nuts, but in a wonderfully effective, predictable way. Besides, if you take the cell away for a month, and there are other offenses, WHAT ELSE can you take away? This technique (trick?) totally works.

If reducing traffic and members here is the goal, though, 30 days might work to make it permanent, as habits will change, and Bob could be gone.

I'm not the smartest guy around, though, and might not be privy to all of the events and thinking that lead to this action. I just wish we could all just get along...

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
first day back to teaching after a nice week and a half off with the family finds me under a 1940s Vita Felt ThreeWay

...and your buddy Bob has been "suspended" ... he sends his love

14c096b7148f58718c53cfd079947fe2.jpg

e95cf1f195eb4d3e0f7e14d0fae162bc.jpg

95c5668ad2257a5fdd2a5dd4fbe8ed36.jpg

102594169ae63e4103c62b1923c15595.jpg

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator
W O W

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
My parents have been visiting and so we went for a family hat shot on their last day.

Good opportunity to pull out some hats;
My mother has the 1960's Borsalino, father sporting the early 1950's Stetson Mode Edge, daughter has Dutch "Imperator" (too small for me so now hers) and I have the Borsalino 50's Alessandria. Son has gone colourfully rogue as usual.

74f0294d736e272618d9ce59c1a4e569.jpg

My father does not speak much but he became quite animated saying he felt like Al Capone and asked if I had a Thompson he could borrow... I told him he could not keep the hat but would get him one if he wanted. He's 82 but it is never too late to start wearing hats!
Super photo Windsocke. Looks like everyone was having a great time.

Michael

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
One of the best, most effective measures of discipline I learned when rearing our brood came from a seasoned Psychologist who specialized in Adolescents. We used this technique on all three of our kids when necessary, and I don't know how many other folks I've shared this with over the years, but EVERY one who tries this is amazed and delighted with the effectiveness.

When removing a privilege as a punishment (be it the car, cell phone, Fedora Lounge time, etc.) it needs only to be for about a day, and never more than two days.

Why? If behavior modification is the goal when taking away any such privilege, the period should be for an easily achievable time for the offender to comply. After a very few days, anything taken away is no longer missed, the offender gets used to not having the privilege, and the "punishment" effect diminishes. Moreover, once the privilege is returned if there are other infractions, the privilege can be taken away again. Drives 'em nuts, but in a wonderfully effective, predictable way. Besides, if you take the cell away for a month, and there are other offenses, WHAT ELSE can you take away? This technique (trick?) totally works.

If reducing traffic and members here is the goal, though, 30 days might work to make it permanent, as habits will change, and Bob could be gone.

I'm not the smartest guy around, though, and might not be privy to all of the events and thinking that lead to this action. I just wish we could all just get along...
As others have posted already, he has been gone 1 day and is already thoroughly missed. He is a wonderful addition to our community and welcomed me here with open arms and great humor. I totally agree with your technique in the form of punishment as my wife has introduced me to a very similar and near identical form. My biggest fear is that this could not only change how Bob interacts on the Lounge here in the future but limits it or drives him away permanently altogether. I agree with you in the hopes all can get along here, but I don't think Bob violated that. He posted a questionable and vulgar meme, 30 days in the box seems a bit harsh from the boss... This place and its members are important to Bob and it brings him joy and happiness I hope the "Bartenders" can find it in their hearts to allow him back early.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
My Campy stuff is/was from the early 1970s. NOT state of the art by todays standards. The current state of bicycling technology at my place began with a clearance hybrid "K-2" from Sports Authority 15 years ago for about $125. That, and another clearance model Janel are good enough for me these days.
My bike is fairly state of the art. But, you know, I ride like almost every sunday morning. 25mls, easily, so I really need a good bike [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J510FN met Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112