Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat with a tuxedo?

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Is it ever proper to wear any type of straw dress hat with a tuxedo? I have a Dobbs Straw Homburg and I'm needing to wear my tuxedo a few times this month-is this combination a definite no-no? I'm embarrassed to ask, but it's too warm for me to be comfortable in felt right now, and I don't want to be without a cover. Your thoughts?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JohnnyGringo said:
Is it ever proper to wear any type of straw dress hat with a tuxedo? I have a Dobbs Straw Homburg and I'm needing to wear my tuxedo a few times this month-is this combination a definite no-no? I'm embarrassed to ask, but it's too warm for me to be comfortable in felt right now, and I don't want to be without a cover. Your thoughts?

If you (a) don't want to wear felt and (b) you don't want to go hatless, I think you've answered your own question. With a tux, you'll sometimes see a black fedora, the ocassional top hat or bowler, or no hat at all. Why not start a new fad or style by pairing formal with straw? When we see it on the Academy Awards or in magazines, we'll be sure to say "They copied Johnny Gringo!"

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
JohnnyGringo said:
Is it ever proper to wear any type of straw dress hat with a tuxedo ?

Manjou,+Adolph.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
JohnnyGringo said:

I'd like to see a picture of the straw Homburg paired up with the tux. In theory, it should work fine. :)

SPRFINO

Familiar Face
Straw with tux is ok provided it is summer and it is warm. My personal feeling is that it would be more appropriate paired with tux pants and a Palm Beach dinner jacket. Not sure the homburg quite works but it is a beautiful hat!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
Manjou,+Adolph.jpg

Originally posted by DrSpeed:
The definitive answer I'd say.
Alas, the greats like Adolphe Menjou, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire, Robert Montgomery and other style icons from the 30s and 40s could get away with things that nobody else could hope to carry off now or even back in that era. Remember, too, in this day and age, hat check rooms, or even a simple hat rack, are few and far between and at most events requiring a tuxedo, you're not going to find an empty seat to keep a hat on during the event, and the table's a definite no-no.

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
A topper is the way to go, my friend. The straw looks sharp, but I'm thinking it'd look better with a white, tropical-style dinner jacket. Otherwise, I'm afraid it'll come off kind of halfhearted.

Of course, bear in mind that today, nobody knows what is traditional and what is not, and so unless it's a corporate thing where you don't want to ruffle feathers and stick out, you can probably get away with wearing that or just about any other combination you care for. Chances are, you know more about hat pairing and tuxedos than anybody else at these events, so who's to say it's not eminently proper? ;)

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I have this theory, and it may not amount to much, but here goes:

Back in Adolphe Menjou's day, there were many occasions when a gentleman would don formal wear of some sort. Dinner parties for example. Today, those occasions are comparatively rare. Unfortunately.

Thus I suspect that there were fewer "rules" that were actually observed about what kind of hat you might wear with something like a tuxedo or a tailcoat. Because it wasn't such a big deal. Not implying that Emily Post or fashion writers wouldn't have had something to say, but according to my parents, most people read that stuff just to laugh at it, unless they were seriously clueless and desperately seeking clues. So perhaps it wouldn't raise that many eyebrows to see a gent wearing a Panama hat or a boater with evening clothes.

Nowadays, it has become almost a "costume" event to wear evening clothes, and I think that rarity always leads to many rigid dos and don'ts.

I kind of agree that a white jacket would work better, but if you could find a place to stash it, I wouldn't give it much thought. Just do it and be happy.

- Bill

DerMann

Practically Family
Full white tie (tails): top hat
Black tie: black homburg or black fedora (no stingy brims) or trilb
Black tie ivory dinner jacket: same as above in white or ivory and a straw boater

Boaters are about as dressy as one can get with a straw hat. As Jeeves said,"Gentlemen do not where straw hats in the metrop."

Then again, Jeeves also advises against soft-fronted evening shirts...

A topper is the way to go, my friend. The straw looks sharp, but I'm thinking it'd look better with a white, tropical-style dinner jacket. Otherwise, I'm afraid it'll come off kind of halfhearted.

Of course, bear in mind that today, nobody knows what is traditional and what is not, and so unless it's a corporate thing where you don't want to ruffle feathers and stick out, you can probably get away with wearing that or just about any other combination you care for. Chances are, you know more about hat pairing and tuxedos than anybody else at these events, so who's to say it's not eminently proper? ;)
You should never ever wear a top hat with a tuxedo. The hat is very tall, so should combine it with the long tails of a white tie ensemble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto