Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it about horsehide?

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Well, if I'm not mistaken, the strongest leather per weight is calf, followed by goat and the horse. Steer comes in as a fourth. Not sure where you have to place kangaroo, though.

thor

One Too Many
Well, if I'm not mistaken, the strongest leather per weight is calf, followed by goat and the horse. Steer comes in as a fourth. Not sure where you have to place kangaroo, though.

Or water buffalo? That stuff is super-tough!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
From what I've always heard and read kangaroo is the strongest followed by goat. The abrasion resistance and tensile strength of both is unrivalled. I personally prefer the look of aged cowhide.

Graemsay

Practically Family
It's not quite as simple as that.

Kangaroo is the strongest leather for a given thickness, but the marsupials are quite thin skinned. Cowhide is weaker, but comes in heavier weights, meaning it wins overall.

A lot of motorbike racers use kangaroo leather suits because they can be lighter for a given strength, but Brian Sampson of BKS Leathers reckons that they're only good for one crash! Road racers, who are known to have the odd off, are frequently spotted in cow.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Or water buffalo? That stuff is super-tough!

I have a jacket in w-buffalo, and one in HH. I would say the buffalo is thick and therefore tough. It is bendable and has a flex that the horse doesn't. But buffalo is not nearly as abrasion resistant as horse. It's surface is matte and soft - like lambskin. I would trust buffalo to protect my skin, but it would look like it was hit with a belt sander. I'd still take horse over buffalo for a meeting with the pavement.

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
I have a jacket in w-buffalo, and one in HH. I would say the buffalo is thick and therefore tough. It is bendable and has a flex that the horse doesn't. But buffalo is not nearly as abrasion resistant as horse. It's surface is matte and soft - like lambskin. I would trust buffalo to protect my skin, but it would look like it was hit with a belt sander. I'd still take horse over buffalo for a meeting with the pavement.

I'd be really curious how these two hides would compare in an actual controlled experiment. I ran some tests on the buffalo hides that I received from Johnson Leathers and for all of the scratching/scrawling (with a nail) that I did, you'd never guess that any such thing had been done to the hides by looking at them.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Maybe we're talking about different hides, or different tanning methods. Here is a picture- bad lighting though.

191_3231_zpsc49dd7d3.jpg

190_3217_zps72c6a933.jpg

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
That looks pretty similar. The hide I'm referring to was also more of a matte finish. It's the same as what JLStorm just chose for his new jacket, only not as thick. Have you managed to scratch your buffalo hide jacket yet?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's not quite as simple as that.

Kangaroo is the strongest leather for a given thickness, but the marsupials are quite thin skinned. Cowhide is weaker, but comes in heavier weights, meaning it wins overall.

A lot of motorbike racers use kangaroo leather suits because they can be lighter for a given strength, but Brian Sampson of BKS Leathers reckons that they're only good for one crash! Road racers, who are known to have the odd off, are frequently spotted in cow.

Actually it's not as simple as that either.

Kangas, at six feet plus, are often larger than a big man and the skin at 2.5 oz is actually stronger than 3.5 oz cow or 3 oz horse. But let's not let a little thing like hide get in the way of our fun here.

Last edited:

les_garten

One of the Regulars
I just sold an Aero Buffalo and am selling it's "Prairie Mate" presently. It's Aero, but I believe you'll concur, it ain't Cow when you look at it.

It is basically 4.5oz goat in feel. Heavy, but supple. It does not crease, just like Goat doesn't. It's tough as nails. These two Jackets are on the heavy side.

Click on the photos with the number 1 in the name for the smaller size, quicker loading photo. The Photo's without the 1 will show a lot more detail.

Buffalo_Russet/

Buffalo_Seal/

Aero's original Smooth Horse Jackets from 5-6 years ago were very supple Jackets.

I'm a Goat guy usually, unless I am seeking the Snob appeal of the Equine.

Last edited:

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
That looks pretty similar. The hide I'm referring to was also more of a matte finish. It's the same as what JLStorm just chose for his new jacket, only not as thick. Have you managed to scratch your buffalo hide jacket yet?

I have not had any deep scores on my buffalo hide, but there are a number of surface marks. The sort of marking you get on suede where it changes the lay of the fibers. I haven't been able to rub them out yet, but I haven't really tried too hard.

From my own personal observation - I'd say the surface of my horse jacket scuffs less readily than the buffalo. The marks do give it character though.

thor

One Too Many
Yes, that Aero buffalo was some amazing stuff! Very thick and rugged and extremely grainy. I regret selling my Aero seal buffalo A-2 afew years ago :-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana