Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it about horsehide?

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Regarding horsehide, is there a consensus about where the best hides come from? I am aware of Horween in the USA, and I have heard good things about Italian tanning. I recently came across a German jacket maker "Noble House" that uses Argentinian horse hide. Does any one have any thoughts or experience with either Argentinian horse hide or Noble House leather jackets?.

http://www.noble-house.eu/catalog/index.php

Last edited:

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
It's more rare and unique than cowhide at this point in history would probably be the only reason. Put cowhide and horsehide together and 99 people out of 100 couldn't tell the difference.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Not sure about the formalities on this site, but as a new member hello.

I think horsehide become a fetish in the last decade or so, and now people want it because everybody else does. Years ago I had a Lewis Leathers horsehide bike jacket which served a purpose, because the hide did save mine once at least. But for a day to day jacket I prefer steer now, and as was said above it's very hard to tell the hides apart and steer doesn't need to be broken in the way that horse does.

I've just ordered one of the last Aero ready made A2s for immediate delivery that are on their site at present, and I should get it tomorrow I hope. That's in russet steer. I've had a few Aero jackets over the years, mostly horsehide, and a Highwayman I bought four years ago is only now getting to be nicely broken in with the amount of wear I give it.

The next time I feel masochistic enough to think of buying a horsehide jacket again I'll pay someone to beat me up instead.

thor

One Too Many
Not sure about the formalities on this site, but as a new member hello.

I think horsehide become a fetish in the last decade or so, and now people want it because everybody else does. Years ago I had a Lewis Leathers horsehide bike jacket which served a purpose, because the hide did save mine once at least. But for a day to day jacket I prefer steer now, and as was said above it's very hard to tell the hides apart and steer doesn't need to be broken in the way that horse does.

I've just ordered one of the last Aero ready made A2s for immediate delivery that are on their site at present, and I should get it tomorrow I hope. That's in russet steer. I've had a few Aero jackets over the years, mostly horsehide, and a Highwayman I bought four years ago is only now getting to be nicely broken in with the amount of wear I give it.

The next time I feel masochistic enough to think of buying a horsehide jacket again I'll pay someone to beat me up instead.

I think that's the main problem with breaking in a new HH jacket, namely wearing it often enough to soften up the hide. Most guys have more then one leather jacket and rotate their assorted jackets. If you look at pics of the WWII pilots in their beautifully broken in HH A-2's, we must remember that they wore them EVERYDAY, for long hours at a time and in all kinds of weather conditions. If you do the same thing today, you'll get a wonderfully broken in jacket in a relatively short time.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I think that's the main problem with breaking in a new HH jacket, namely wearing it often enough to soften up the hide. Most guys have more then one leather jacket and rotate their assorted jackets. If you look at pics of the WWII pilots in their beautifully broken in HH A-2's, we must remember that they wore them EVERYDAY, for long hours at a time and in all kinds of weather conditions. If you do the same thing today, you'll get a wonderfully broken in jacket in a relatively short time.

Yes I agree. But they were wearing the jackets as part of their uniform so did wear them all the time. I don't want to wear the same jacket every day like I did when young. Of course people do wear them around the house to break them in, we've all done it; and it isn't exactly comfortable trying to sit on a sofa with a new FQHH Barnstormer on that is still standing up when you're sitting down...

... If you do the same thing today, you'll get a wonderfully broken in jacket in a relatively short time.

With an Alpaca lining, I can't wear mine every day but I do wear it every day the temperature is low enough that I can...not sure it will take a "relatively short time" for me but then again it is relative, right? ;)

thor

One Too Many
With an Alpaca lining, I can't wear mine every day but I do wear it every day the temperature is low enough that I can...not sure it will take a "relatively short time" for me but then again it is relative, right? ;)

Right! ;-)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Also vintage HH was thinner than the 3 oz hide we see these days. Makes a huge difference to the comfort and breaking in.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yes I agree. But they were wearing the jackets as part of their uniform so did wear them all the time. I don't want to wear the same jacket every day like I did when young. Of course people do wear them around the house to break them in, we've all done it; and it isn't exactly comfortable trying to sit on a sofa with a new FQHH Barnstormer on that is still standing up when you're sitting down...

I can relate to what you say about wearing it every day . What I do is place it on the car seat when driving , or
lay it on my favorite arm chair & sit on it & even under the pillow at night. My wife thinks it funny..but I have a real
nice worn jacket in no time.
Cheers !
264o0o9.jpg

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Off Topic "Crusher" Cap Comment

I can relate to what you say about wearing it every day . What I do is place it on the car seat when driving , or
lay it on my favorite arm chair & sit on it & even under the pillow at night. My wife thinks it funny..but I have a real
Cheers !
264o0o9.jpg

This reminded me of when my Dad reminisced about taking the grommet out from the brim of his cap and sleeping with the cap under the mattress. This gave his "crusher" that dashing look which was then worn cocked to one side.

John

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I am far from a leather expert, have a few nice jackets in cow hide and one in deer. From what indications I have had explained to me by a leather crafter, the real difference between one type of leather and another is the tightness of the pores of the leather itself. Example, bull hide has a tighter "pore" than regular cow hide. Deer hide is from my experience a softer less tight "pore", however deer hide normally tends to get dirty quicker and has to be "babied" more to help keep it clean. Cleaning deer hide is not easy and some stains will not clean out of it. I have one A2 jacket that is nice smooth and clean, although it is vintage, it was well kept, does not have that worn to hell and back look that many admire, still looks relatively new. I actually hope to keep it looking new.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I find it mildly amusing to see secondhand jackets for sale with the descsription, 'Like new' 'Never abused' 'Mint condition' etc, 'The fleece is as new' when jacket is also advertised in a similar manner "worn but carefully looked after' and such.
Have these people bought something they did not like, thought more about it's re-sale value than enjoyed wearing the thing?
I have a Rough Wear Eastman B3 that is now full of bald spots simply through wearing it in a natural way. Yes it's over 10 years old and clean but I would probably struggle to get 50% of it's original retail value if I sold it.
With me I have never really tried to break in a jacket other than wear it whenever I can, it tends to look more natural.
J

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Cheers !
264o0o9.jpg

Yes that's what I did with the Barnstormer in the end. Just sat on it for a week which softened it and made it wearable.

rocketeer:
It's not that easy to break in a coat or jacket by just wearing it naturally if you have a few already and you can't wear it to work. Particularly if the winter's mild, the coat was originally designed for flying in open cockpits, and you've sold the Sopwith Camel.

You do look like a pillock walking around in a brand new stiff HH coat that looks as if it's taking you for a walk though.

schitzo

Suspended
I just can't resist jumping in here

If you already have several leather jackets then why buy another one in FQHH?

For me a FQHH jacket is not such a big deal to 'break'. Just wet the collar and then wear it every day for a few hours for about a month. Job done.

If you don't have time to do that then you are just gonna lumber yourself with an uncomfortable, unsightly and expensive burden

mexl916

New in Town
I've received three leather samples from Aero:
- brown heavy steer
- brown FQHH
- vintage brown FQHH

From the samples I got it seems that steer is much softer and more pliable and that its color gets lighter when stretched (which I really like; the both horses do not behave this way). Is this a general property of steer or is it just simple batch dependent?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yes that's what I did with the Barnstormer in the end. Just sat on it for a week which softened it and made it wearable.

rocketeer:
It's not that easy to break in a coat or jacket by just wearing it naturally if you have a few already and you can't wear it to work. Particularly if the winter's mild, the coat was originally designed for flying in open cockpits, and you've sold the Sopwith Camel.

You do look like a pillock walking around in a brand new stiff HH coat that looks as if it's taking you for a walk though.
Well my jackets all look ok without any kind of break in procedure. I would just advise wearing as often as possible. Yes Horsey jackets take a bit of time but that's how I broke all my jackets, just wearing them. Those fancy worn in leathers Eastman sells don't really look natural up close but they(Eastman) dont sell FQHH.
Have a look on the Aero site, there are tips on how to break in a new jacket. Looking a pillock is a very personal thing, I have never had any negative remarks about my brand new jackets so I must guess I look 'cool'
Anyway I never had a Sopwith Camel, I had a Funfdekker Fokker, Revell made a model of it haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ