Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is This Hat Style Called?

miss moneypenny

New in Town
Apologies if there is already a thread on a similar topic. I searched but didn't find one but I might not have been using the right keywords.

I recently bought this hat at a vintage shop and I love it and love the style but I'm having trouble figuring out if the style has a name. I've been trying to find other hats like it with little luck. I'm pretty sure it's from the 1940s.
View media item 909

The lighting in my room isn't great so it's hard to see but basically the hat itself is small and topped with fur and the back is a long fabric veil. The veil is the part I'm really interested in. Most veils I see on hats are mesh, which is lovely and romantic. But I love the look of the fabric veil. Feels almost medieval. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't know of a specific name for it, but the overall shape of the hat is a style that was common around 1939-40. Greta Garbo wore a similar, but much more exaggerated, hat in "Ninotchka," but hers didn't have any kind of a veil.

madame babette

New in Town
I would love to help you put a name to your hat. Can you post a photo of just the hat, not being worn on a head? It is difficult to see it on all that lovely hair. The shape looks a bit like a Glengarry, or a military cap. Is the scarf long, and does it attach in front of the neck? If so it is a wimple. Looks like silk jersey for the fabric. More photos will be helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ