Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite aircraft of all time?

Flieger

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
Correct me if I off base; but do you see the beginnings of the Messerschmitt Me-262 silhouette in DH design? I've always thought so!

-dixon cannon

Dixon: I guess you are reffering to this one?
Me262-V3-65s.jpg

Yeah, as long as the 262 was sitting on its tail, there was some similarities... when it got a nose wheel - Not so much. :)

I'm amazed of how many of the DH-designs that became classics. :eek:

/F

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Flieger, I think that the similarity goes even further with the B-1 trainer and night fighter variants with the long faired in cockpit.

Talking of DH designs I had the pleasure of having a very good look over (including inside) of a Mossie FB.VI at Bod?? Luftfartsmuseum in April :D

Flieger

Practically Family
Yes, Smithy. You have a point about the 262 trainers and NFs. *doh* Forgot about those. :eek:

Arghhh! The Bod?? museum! I've been planning to go there so many times but something always comes in between. Apart from the Mossie FB you have some real goodies there. *mental note to self: Plan trip to Bod??!) lol

/F

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Flieger,

I took a few photos last time I was there and suppose I could post them here in a thread if you and others are interested.

Bodø is not a bad place to live if you like aircraft, as well as the musuem, 331 Sqn with F-16s are based there. When we were living there in 2003 - 2004, my office window at work looked over to the airport and airbase runways so I had the pleasure of watching 331 take off and land on their morning and afternoon sorties. I also had the pleasure of visiting the base and being shown around the F-16s and filming take off as we had a Danish film maker over who wanted some footage.

Cheers,

Smithy.

Flieger

Practically Family
Smithy said:
I took a few photos last time I was there and suppose I could post them here in a thread if you and others are interested.

PLEASE DO!!! :eek:

Modern "hairdryers" like the F-16 doesn't get my pulse racing for some reason. [huh] But being close enough to an military airfield to smell the fumes does. :D

I'm lucky enough to have a friend who is the curator of a small museum outside the city where I live. He's just finishing up a DH Vampire (FB.5) moving on to a P-51D that crashed in 1956... talk about big puzzles! :)

Cheers
/F

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Flieger said:
Modern "hairdryers" like the F-16 doesn't get my pulse racing for some reason. [huh] But being close enough to an military airfield to smell the fumes does. :D

No I'm the same, piston engined aircraft are my first love by a long way. Although it was a joy to watch the F-16s everyday and be taken for a good look round them.

And I'll post some pics from the Museum later today ;)

Bertie Wooster

New in Town
I'd love to have flown the P-51 Mustang, or a Hawker Hurricane - classic, speedy airframes. In terms of aesthetics I love the Vulcan bomber - beautiful aircraft, ugly purpose.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
The Spitfire, of course!

As one could probably guess by my avatar, the Spitfire is my favourite aeroplane. The Mk.VIII is one I had the pleasure of photographing air-to-air at Oshkosh back in the 90s, when I was doing a lot of aviation photography. Below is a larger version of that pic.
MT719.jpg

However, my favourite Spitfire is the Mk.XIV (the Mk.Ia follows a close second), and here's a Mk.XIVe I shot on the flightline at Duxford in September 2000.
sm832c.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Nice shots KilroyCD - as you can guesse by my name, it's also my favourit aircraft. With the Hawker Hurricane closing in as number two.

As in this great painting by Alex Hamilton
TallyHo1600-1.jpg

64090570Ir18QNeE._IMG_3448a.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Indeed. I was there when they rolled her out from her restoration. Too bad they can't raise and restore one of the sunken 314 Clippers the same way...

Ah, the Clipper. :arated:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider