Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I just won an eBay auction for a large Resistol open-crowned hat. The crown is 6.5" and the brim is 4". What do you all recommend? I was thinking either a Montana Peak or a really big Stratoliner copy....
Suggestions?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Miss Brill said:
Where does the crease go in a (ladies) wool hat like this? It never looks right, it always look like someone hit me with a newspaper. [huh]

027.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

That lovely hat looks like it could easily be worn with an open crown.
However, if that looks odd to you, consider a simple center dent.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Thats an interesting crown. Thanks for the picture. I've not seen that style before,its reminiscent of a campaign hat (or is that what a campaign hat is really called?). Thanks!

Donato

One of the Regulars
How is the teardrop different from the diamond crease?

I may be showing my newbie status here but to my eye, it is hard to tell the difference between the two. Both look great but both look very much alike.

londonboy

Familiar Face
Does a crease made without steam eventually pop back? Also, do certain creases look better on certain face shapes, or is it purely a matter of personal preference?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Donato said:
I may be showing my newbie status here but to my eye, it is hard to tell the difference between the two. Both look great but both look very much alike.

Look closer ...

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Donato said:

The teardrop is more rounded in the back, whereas the diamond has a pronounced pinch to it, that does does not necessarily run down the back of the crown. However, there was a thread a while back showing a pic of James Dean wearing a double-bashed (front and back) fedora. Still, they aren't too common.

Regards, Andy

Stoney

Practically Family
KY Gentleman said:
I just won an eBay auction for a large Resistol open-crowned hat. The crown is 6.5" and the brim is 4". What do you all recommend? I was thinking either a Montana Peak or a really big Stratoliner copy....
Suggestions?

It depends on what you want out of it. Currently it will only look good with a Cowboy bash and a wide brim, > 3" wide. This is due to the crown height at over 6 inches. That is unless you have very large head . ;)

If you made a fedora out of it as is the crown would look like a stove pipe. You can remove an inch or more of the crown by pulling it into the brim. To do this you have to remove the ribbon liner, and sweatband from the hat and use a hat block and flange, or maybe large a pickle jar :eusa_doh: , has to measure about 1/4 larger in circumference than your head,to allow for the insertion of the sweatband, and a lot of elbow grease to pull that crown into the brim. Once you have a crown of 5 1/2" or less you are in tall crown fedora territory. Seriously, You may want to invest in a block, or two, and some flanges so you can take care of hats like that one. e-bay is a good source as well as Jimmy Pierce, who sells blocks and flanges on his website.

Another option is to send it to a hatter, who takes in work, like JP or Optimo and let them do the work for you.

surely

A-List Customer
Stoney said:
It depends on what you want out of it. Currently it will only look good with a Cowboy bash and a wide brim, > 3" wide. This is due to the crown height at over 6 inches. That is unless you have very large head . ;)

If you made a fedora out of it as is the crown would look like a stove pipe. You can remove an inch or more of the crown by pulling it into the brim.
Oh I don't think so. Take a look at my avatar. ...:D

Stoney

Practically Family
Point well taken

Yes, It will also look fine with an open road, or stratotliner type bash, both of which are Cowboyesque, provided that you do not have a small head and the brim stays large. Your face is longer than average, like my brother's. He is 6'2" tall. How big is the brim on your hat there? What you have in your Avatar will not work for someone who wears a smaller size, up to 7 1/8, or has a shorter face since the tallness of the crown will be out of proportion, It clearly is not out of proportion for you. I've tried 6 inch crowns, and taller, and the hat looks like a stovepipe on me. For most people 6 1/2" is way to tall of a crown to use for a Fedora. You are quite fortunate that you can pull it off.

Stoney

Practically Family
Nice story Surely

Pretty cool how you patterned the hat after the John Wayne flick.
It does look like a giant Stratoliner.

So.. Is it a cowboy hat or a fedora.....LOL

Whatever it is the hat looks great on you.

;)

Boodles

A-List Customer
Howard Hughes' Bash

The History Channel had a good piece on Howard Hughes last night. I was, of course, paying as close attention the hats in the old footage as I was the story. One brief clip, near the part of the story about the Hercules (Spruce Goose), had a shot of Mr Hughes taken from an elevated position. His fedora had a wonderful diamond crease, with the diamond being the classic traffic sign diamond. I can only think, judging from the lumpy edges, that the diamond was hand bashed by someone.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, I really like the Oreanna, that's a cool crease. Reminds me of the puncher in the cowboy hat with a mule kick in the back.

Highlander

A-List Customer
KY Gentleman said:
Suggestions?

I have a Resistol 20X BlackGold that I bought with an open crown. I had a good friend of mine who has owned several hat companies (Beaver Brand and Theivin' Vaqueros) put my trademark Gus Crease in it, and put the old buzzard wing brim look..

But, it's definitely a Cowboy look.

rrog

A-List Customer
GWD, that's a great looking hat. I can see a distinct cross-looking shape inside the tear drop shape. Was that something you planned on having there or did it just happen because of how it fits on your head?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana