Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite Scotch Whisky?

Bought a bottle of Glen Grant 10yr. I was impressed. It drinks easy. Smooth going down with a mellow light peat finish.

They also have a Major's reserve that isn't too bad as well.
Since they went to Chivas Regal in 2006, their single malt has been used in the Chivas Regal blend. They make a whole lot more than they ever did before. I wonder if that is a good thing.....

Last edited:

itsbruce

Familiar Face
Highland Park used to be one of my absolute favourites but the quality has gone right downhill in the last few years. And they've been peating it. I like peaty whisky but it wasn't what Highland Park was about. So if I can find older bottlings, fine, but I'll not touch the new stuff.

One very interesting thing to try is Longrow, an alternative run of peaty whisky done by Springbank. It has the salty taste of a regular Campbeltown whisky but also Islay-style peatiness, making it quite unique. The 10yo is a bit rough and plain, the 14yo is good and the 18yo is gorgeous.

Itsbruce, Springbank is one if my favorite distilleries. If you can find a late 60s or 70s vintage, it will blow your mind!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
They also have a Major's reserve that isn't too bad as well.
Since they went to Chivas Regal in 2006, their single malt has been used in the Chivas Regal blend. They make a whole lot more than they ever did before. I wonder if that is a good thing.....

Indeed, a very good thing. I had wanted to try it for the longest time, and it was on sale for $38. A steal compared to the pre-Chivas era.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

itsbruce

Familiar Face
The most I ever spent on a bottle of whisky was for a 21yo Banff which, since it is a closed distillery, was not cheap. The old Springbanks you are mentioning would be at least twice as much as that. Bit out of my range.

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
After watching Band of Brothers when the series first came out, I am partial to the Vat 69. Yeah, kinda corny since it came from a show/mini-series, but it's actually pretty good.
I've wanted to try it ever since I watched Band of Brothers too, but the brand doesn't seem to be available here.

kiwilrdg said:
I have not had any since about 1990 but Poit Dubh was my favorite when I lived in Scotland. Only one pub near me had it and they had to get someone who spoke Gaelic to order it because the distillery would hang up if they spoke English on the phone.
You should be able to order it online, my go-to, Te Bheag Nan Eiliean, is made by the same distillery.

A few years ago I got a bottle of Aberlour 10 for Christmas. I sipped my way through it and very much enjoyed it, but I'm not very good at rationing myself, so I tend to aim a little lower on the shelf. I was pretty sure I'd tried Dewar's once when I was younger and found it gross, and thus picked out the bottle with some reservations, but the new (or new to my area) White Label is nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana