Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Is Your Favorite War Movie?

Chaps

One of the Regulars
If you are like me, it is kind of hard to pin-point one war movie as one's favorite. But, my all-time favorite war movie is "Battleground" with Van Johnson.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Can I play?

Napoleonic: Abel Gances "Napoleon" second Russian version of "War and Peace"

Revolutionary: "The Patriot"

Civil War: "Gettysburg" and "Glory" a tie.

Cavalry in the old west: "Fort Apache" - Henry Fonda, John Wayne and John Ford none better.

World War I: "All Quiet on the Western Front" and "Dawn Patrol" with Erroll Flynn

WWII: "They Were Expendable" and "Bataan". Honrable mention "Air Force", "12 O'Clock High" "Sahara" S.P.R.

Korea: "The Steel Helmet"

Viet Nam: "Apocalypse Now"

Worf...

Boer War
Breaker Morant

World War I
Anzacs (TV miniseries)
Gallipoli

World War II
A Bridge Too Far
Battle of Britain
The Big Red One
Das Boot
Enemy at the Gates
Hitler's SS: Portrait in Evil
Memphis Belle
Men of the Yamato*
Saving Private Ryan
Soldier of Orange

Korean War
Bridge at Toko Ri

Vietnam
Apocalypse Now
Flight of the Intruder
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill
The Odd Angry Shot

*a very hard-to-find film which I don't think was ever released in the US. I found my copy at a model kit collector's show.

Kmadden

New in Town
Among the favorite Word War II movies, no one mentioned "Merrill's Marauders" (1962), a tough, gutsy movie about the campaign in Burma. For my money, one of the best!

Chaps

One of the Regulars
Man! you guys have taken this to a new level:) I can't stop with just one movie:

Revolutionary: Drums Along The Mohawk

Cavalry: She Wore A Yellow Ribbon

WWI: Sergeant York

WWII: Battleground

Korean: Bridge Over Toko Ri

Vietnam: The Green Berets

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I love "Sergeant York" as well but not for the battle scene. The revival meeting scene is one of the greatest in film history. York still in Tennesee, is bent on murder, when he is struck by lightning. The gun of vengeance litterally blown from his hand by God lays smoking and twisted at his feet. He stands there transfixed in the pourting raing when he hears the church meeting in the distance. He follows the sound of a hymn to the back of the church where, when spied by Pastor Pyle (a GREAT performance by Walter Brennan) he is called forward to "the Morners Bench". Over this scene of redemption and hesitation the congregations sings "Give Me That Old Time Religion". Having been to many a tent revival in my youth that scene sings like the hammer of truth. Absolutely GREAT film making.

Worf

Last edited:

DNO

One Too Many
Gotta get in on this one!

Pre World War I:
The Duellists
Northwest Passage
Zulu
Breaker Morant
Fort Apache

World War I:
The Trench
Gallipoli
Lawrence of Arabia

World War II:
The Cruel Sea
Bridge on the River Kwaii
The Great Escape
Stalingrad
Das Boot
Big Red One

Post World War II:

Pork Chop Hill
Intimate Enemies
The Beast
The Battle of Algiers
Apocalypse Now
84 Charlie Mopic

Last edited:

WH1

Practically Family
Interesting lists particularly some of the lesser known films "The Odd Angry Shot".

I found the Light Horseman to be an interesting one about the Australians in WWI.

One of my favorites is Paths of Glory, Kirk Douglas, Adolphe Menjou, directed by Kubrick and a compelling storyline.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. Spoiled for choice. If I had to pick just ONE:

Lawrence of Arabia.

If I could pick more:

Zulu (close second to LoA, perhaps even a tie)
Bridge on the River Kwai
Full Metal Jacket
Breaker Morant

WH1

Practically Family
Kelly's Heroes

Just finished watching it

one of the all time greatest scenes in movies is Kelly, Big Joe and Odd Ball going to talk to the Nazi tank commander with spaghetti western music playing. Love that scene

Rathdown

Practically Family
Cross of Iron.

Directed by Sam Peckinpah
Starring James Coburn, Maximiliam Schell, James Mason, David Warner, and Senta Berger.

The European version is ten minutes longer, and all the better for it, in my opinion.

And in no particular order: Grand Illusion; All Quiet on the Western Front (1930); The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp; Wings; and of course, Mrs. Miniver...the list goes on...

Last edited:

Renault

One Too Many
Has anyone ever seen "The Road to Glory"? Not to be confused with Kubricks Path's.

French Infantry WWI, made in 1932-33. American made.

Son is the company commander, Trenches 1916-17. His father (Franco-Prussian war vet) shows up as a new volunteer, and wants to be unit buglar as in days of old. Lots of muddy trench action.

Good flick

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Can't just name one. Sahara, Platoon, Battleground, Bataan, The Steel Helmet, The Big Red One, The Far Pavilions (British mini-series), The Charge of the Light Brigade (highly fictionalized, but...), The Light Horsemen, Lion of the Desert (Italian colonial wars in Libia).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points