Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your vintage dream purchase??

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What is that one thing you have your eye on that you would get if you had the dough? A vintage suit that costs more than a car, a hat that is to die for, that vintage house you always wanted?

Me, Im a bit more grounded. Id want this.

115_small.jpg

An original Carmen Jones poster form 1954 by Saul Bass.
:D

LD

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
G-ACSP

A 1934 De Havilland DH88 Comet Racer, named "Black Magic". Flown by Amy Mollinson (nee Johnson) and her husband Jim in the 1934 MacRobertson London to Melbourne air race.

dh88-1.jpg

But I'm not so fussy. I'd take G-ACSS, "Grosvenor House", which Captain Tom Campbell-Black and Flight Leiutenant Charles Scott flew to win the same race.

It never ceases to amaze me: London to Melbourne in less than 72 hours. In 1934!

dh88.JPG

I try to be flexible about these things, after all.

This line is not important. Pay no attention.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
DocIndyJones said:
Lady Day-

My dear I hope this will be of some intrest to you. It's a reprint but your the only one who will know once it's in a frame.

http://www.movieposter.com/poster/b70-1168/Carmen_Jones.html

-DocIndyJones

That is very sweet of you to do that lookin' for me, but the one you showed me is 11x17'', where as the original is about 27x41''. When it comes to movie posters, Im genuine all the way ;)

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
LD, you have exquisite taste in films (and film posters!)

Let's see, my dreams -- well, if there's one thing I'm good at, it's daydreaming, so --

First off, I'd like to have my own Vintage Media Empire. I'd start off with my own radio station, which would emphasize live local programming -- a full news staff and other air talent, live musical programming, and most of all live drama in the evenings. I'd also furnish it in high thirties style -- think the RCA Building before it went to seed.

I'd also want a vintage movie theatre -- perhaps on the ground floor of my broadcasting building. Plenty of floor seating, a big balcony, and an organ that rises out of the floor on a platform to play before each performance. The film policy would be classic features all the way, always accompanied by appropriate shorts. And because I'd have infinite wealth in this fantasy world, admission prices would also be period appropriate -- 50 cent ceiling for evening performances and matinees for a quarter.

As for living space, I'd buy a classic Victorian duplex, which I'd share with my best friend. Plenty of room for both of us, and I'd furnish my side in totally vintage style.

And for transportation, I'd like a nice, snappy late-30's business coupe. Nothing ostentatious, a Ford or a Plymouth or a Chevrolet would be fine. After all, we don't want to get out of hand with all this daydreaming....

But the reality is I'm a poor working gal, scraping along from week to week. So I won't ever have any of this -- but maybe someday I'll get lucky and find a nice pair of classy '40s pumps in my size! That would be a nice buy...

Haversack

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 wrote:

"I want an original Kellett K-2 Autogiro. - And I'd like to have the optional "Coupe" top for it."

But do you also want the autogyro to have the built-in garage for the micro-coup?

Haversack.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Gregory Peck. But failing him, I would adore a genuine pair of Chanel 1930s shoes that fit, and Howard Hughes' fortune (the one he re-accumulated).

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Haversack said:
Absinthe_1900 wrote:"I want an original Kellett K-2 Autogiro. - And I'd like to have the optional "Coupe" top for it."
But do you also want the autogyro to have the built-in garage for the micro-coup?Haversack.

No, the Autogiro is hard enough to find, and someone else already owns the little car out in California. (I don't want to ask for too much lol )

internationalhouse33.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Wild Root's #1 past time... day dreaming!

Well, it's something I do very well... I’d say, I’d love a nice modest 1930’s streamlined home that was offered at the 1933-34 Century of Progress in Chicago! It would be fully furnished in art deco! It would be located on Catalina Island… just south east of Avalon. I’d have a privet dock and a privet boat house… I’d have a privet beach too… it would house a war time Grumman Goose… the boat house would have a WWII US Gato Class Sub and a 1930’s Chris Craft!

goose1.jpg

Postcrd.jpg

30chriscraftrunabout.jpg

I’d have a family who’d I take on trips to the main land in the Goose… I’d also sail to Hawaii in the Sub or take the plane… which is ever is easier! Living a nice quiet life on Catalina… in the bad weather, we’d spend time at our home in South Pasadena… I’d own a nice modest 30’s early 20’s home that would have a nice sized garage with the great barn styled doors… there will sit a 1939 Plymouth convertible, a 1941 Plymouth Convertible, a 1946 Plymouth (Jenny of course) and a 1948 Tucker just because I can!

I’d also own a small chain of 1940’s styled gas stations through out CA, modern up-to-date pumps that will look just like the old ones! Also, they’d be full service at no extra charge! A competent honest full service mechanic at each location who could work on and get parts for any year, make/model! Also, have a small soda fountain/lunch counter at each location complete with a mid 30’s fashioned jukebox that is fully stocked with the best vintage music!

Yep, I’d even own a big band and a fancy club to have them play at! Yes, the club would be a large ballroom much like the kind you see in 40’s movies! Ah, that would be swell!

Alas, it’s all daydreams! Some things I know I can get but, the Gato class sub and the Grumman Goose… yeah, I know.

=WR=

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh one more for me.

Man, you guys dream BIG!

The other thing I would want is, when I own a home, I want the front door to be one of the fabulous hotel doors that is in the movie Grand Hotel.

MAN I loved those doors!

LD

CharlieH.

One Too Many
My dream vintage purchase?

I'd like to have this little machine in my back yard!

W007.jpg

The Pennsylvania S-1 (6-4-4-6 wheel arrangement)

PRR_S1.jpg

On the same set of rollers as in the '39 world's fair. Pretty effective for whenever I want to let out some steam.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Say now, that's a good dream! Since we're talking dreams... you might as well own a large run of track connected to a main... take her out for a run now and again!

I'm down with that! I wouldn't mind owning this one either...

The 20th Century LTD.

Leslie-Ragan-20th-Century-Limited-134312.jpg

And I do mean the REAL Thing, not just the poster.lol

=WR=

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Say now, that's a good dream! Since we're talking dreams... you might as well own a large run of track connected to a main... take her out for a run now and again!

Heck! Why not own the whole New York Central railroad? You also get the Commodore Vanderbilt:

5344cv.jpg

and the Mercury

nyc5426.jpg

(Not to mention the greatest art-deco railroad cars in the East coast)
Plus rights over Grand Central station, and some control over the state of New York. Now that's power!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Well, it's something I do very well... I’d say, I’d love a nice modest 1930’s streamlined home that was offered at the 1933-34 Century of Progress in Chicago! It would be fully furnished in art deco! It would be located on Catalina Island… just south east of Avalon. I’d have a privet dock and a privet boat house… I’d have a privet beach too… it would house a war time Grumman Goose… the boat house would have a WWII US Gato Class Sub and a 1930’s Chris Craft!

That's some very nice machinery there, Root. I'm more of a Catalina man than Goose, but I can't fault your choices for sheer class!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points