Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
A rare beautiful September day in SC with low humidity, cloudy, breezy and only 66º with a high of 69º so I'm sporting my latest acquisition; the John Chapman GW 1941 Aero 16160 A-2 repro with my vintage 1930's Willson driving glasses and 1942 Type II Service Shoes (repros from At The Front) and dirty 21st century Levis :D

IMG_7225copy.jpg
View media item 1532

Last edited:
75e28f35abba9ca931617c4ab6462517.jpg

It probably won't do much help, look at my pin side reinforce part.....
The lesson I learned is always apply wax or hard soap before you use it!
Well, inspired by your pics I busted out my j106 for a try on. Aaaaaannd I wish I hadn't!
IMG_5940.JPG

Taken seconds before the snap:
IMG_5936.JPG

I think these little Talons are made of pig iron. Snapped the sucker right in half. Granted it's a #6 going up against 12 lbs of cow but man. I really wish Aero would consider a heavier zip. I understand the desire for historical accuracy but it would take four original Buco's to equal this jackets weight. It's 3/4" thick at each side of the zipper. For now, sigh, I'll roll with this:
IMG_5941.JPG

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh man, that sucks. I've never thought about it. Can you just replace the pull somehow or is that a full zip replacement?

Oh man, that sucks. I've never thought about it. Can you just replace the pull somehow or is that a full zip replacement?
Man it's going to be the full zip. It needs at least an 8 but a 10 would be better. I guess I got lucky having it break where it did. But yeah. Sucks

Reactions: A-1
lol @ the gif above. Anyway, that seriously sucks.
But I mean, it's a motorcycle jacket with a tiny #5 zipper... Just no. That's small even for a pocket! I mean, heavy leather aside, you're supposed to be able to work the zipper with the gloves on, for God's sake. The whole historical accuracy deal falls into water considering these jackets didn't even have the zippers they're putting on them.

I like that idea...I could use this as an opportunity to personalize it a bit. I wonder how hard it is to get one of those larger pulls installed? I'd be shaking like a leaf trying it.

I like that idea...I could use this as an opportunity to personalize it a bit. I wonder how hard it is to get one of those larger pulls installed? I'd be shaking like a leaf trying it.
Shouldn't be too hard with a pair of pliers, besides...you get extras for goofs...OR...gifts ;)

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Well, inspired by your pics I busted out my j106 for a try on. Aaaaaannd I wish I hadn't!
View attachment 85564
Taken seconds before the snap:
View attachment 85565
I think these little Talons are made of pig iron. Snapped the sucker right in half. Granted it's a #6 going up against 12 lbs of cow but man. I really wish Aero would consider a heavier zip. I understand the desire for historical accuracy but it would take four original Buco's to equal this jackets weight. It's 3/4" thick at each side of the zipper. For now, sigh, I'll roll with this:
View attachment 85566

If this happened to me to a basicly new and unworn jacket, I'd be pretty annoyed. This is exactly why I am no fan of original oldstock zips which have been rotting who knows where the past 70 years and small, flimsy zips in general.. I'm perfectly happy with my favourite makers such as Alan @ JL using bigger and modern zips.. have not had any size 8 ykk break on me on fifth time wearing the jacket..

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ton,
That sucks man! I remember when that happened on my Bootlegger after 1 month of wear and I was heartbroken. I recommend a riri #8 or perhaps even a #10 for that beast.

If this happened to me to a basicly new and unworn jacket, I'd be pretty annoyed. This is exactly why I am no fan of original oldstock zips which have been rotting who knows where the past 70 years and small, flimsy zips in general.. I'm perfectly happy with my favourite makers such as Alan @ JL using bigger and modern zips.. have not had any size 8 ykk break on me on fifth time wearing the jacket..
Well in all fairness the jacket is 5 years old. But in like new condition. I couldn't agree more. The # 8 on my Johnson Leathers is fail proof and will likely last the duration of the jackets life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112