Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Fierce Krypton

New in Town
My new Indy

Attachments

• IMG_20180221_042626_724.jpg
    IMG_20180221_042626_724.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 151

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

thor

One Too Many
404D1AE0-EBBE-49E0-A9F9-B97104B4BE6F.jpeg
66E89360-5D6B-46DC-B092-38AA7B0A3590.jpeg 0463282D-F4C3-408E-BB27-406B45BC255B.jpeg 5CF21110-3609-4F69-9A1E-91BD7FF1A2E5.jpeg
I’ve been wearing my black USW G-1 at work the past couple of weeks (it’s been “earning it’s salt” as old sea dogs would say). We’ve been getting lots of fog in the harbor lately; cold, wet, clammy, and thick. It rolls in as a ghostly mist then solidifies into an impenetrable smoke-like density. We keep the ship’s pilot house windows and doors open to peer into the fog and search for shadows of small boats that may not appear on radar and also to listen for fog horns or bells. Very grateful for the warm and plush mouton collar on my G-1!

Attachments

• 38FDCD8F-2062-49C8-8E62-603146AE6C5D.jpeg
    38FDCD8F-2062-49C8-8E62-603146AE6C5D.jpeg
    605.8 KB · Views: 121

saucerfiend

Practically Family

seres

A-List Customer
View attachment 107729
...We’ve been getting lots of fog in the harbor lately; cold, wet, clammy, and thick. It rolls in as a ghostly mist then solidifies into an impenetrable smoke-like density. We keep the ship’s pilot house windows and doors open to peer into the fog and search for shadows of small boats that may not appear on radar and also to listen for fog horns or bells....

GREAT PICS, Thor! This is a glimpse of NYC and the Hudson that I have rarely seen.

Leither

One of the Regulars
Great photos. You look like you are enjoying your trip. Did you go to Namba while you are in Osaka? It's a great district in a great city.
Thanks Michael. Thoroughly enjoying Japan. Only arrived in Osaka yesterday by shinkansen. Exploring the city today. Excellent sushi. Nick

Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Brian, I don't have an answer on either count. It has no labeling at all. Either the lining was replaced, or possibly it was made by someone not normally in the business. I'm usually in between a 40 and 42 and it seems to fit like something in that area. The only hint I have about it's age is that the Talon zipper appears to be the type used in the early 1950s.

Thanks,
Michael

marmalademan

Banned
@casechopper that's their Octagon leather, right? And if so what do you think of it? How has it aged and how does it compare against the other hides in your extensive collection? Reason I ask is I'm waiting on s comet right now. Thanks in advance.

Anyone else with experience of Octagon do feel free to pitch in too. Cheers

@casechopper that's their Octagon leather, right? And if so what do you think of it? How has it aged and how does it compare against the other hides in your extensive collection? Reason I ask is I'm waiting on s comet right now. Thanks in advance.

Anyone else with experience of Octagon do feel free to pitch in too. Cheers

A bit lighter than the Comp. weight. Much more natural, leather-like with much more variation in grain and colour. Just about as stiff and substantial, though. Gorgeous hide.

marmalademan

Banned
A bit lighter than the Comp. weight. Much more natural, leather-like with much more variation in grain and colour. Just about as stiff and substantial, though. Gorgeous hide.

What? I heard it was midweight! The rest of your description sounds good but I have to hope it's not as substantial as you say since I don't get along well with heavyweight jackets. Oh well, if it is heavier than expected, at least this is a short one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112