Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the thing with any rain gear whatever they're made of... once the rain stops the sweat starts, and I end up wet once I open the jacket anyway, so I rather wear my leather with some fresh rain water seeping through here and there , rather than in my own salty sweat on my back and under the arm.

Hal

Practically Family
the thing with any rain gear whatever they're made of... once the rain stops the sweat starts, and I end up wet once I open the jacket anyway, so I rather wear my leather with some fresh rain water seeping through here and there , rather than in my own salty sweat on my back and under the arm.
You are situated in a hot wet climate, so the effect you mention is understandable. In cool conditions there would be less sweating, and rain water seeping through would be regarded as very undesirable.
That said, traditional raincoats in cotton or wool gabardine have the same shower -resistant properties as your leather jacket; not being totally waterproof, their fabrics breathe better.

Believe me, flyweight-people like me are happy about that newer microfibre-polyester/polyamid jackets. Leather jackets are just for 80kg-people upwards. ;)

Pro microfibre-jacket:
-ultra lightweight
-can be even heavier water-repellent
-price value

Contra microfibre-jacket:
-less robust than the regular quilted-jackets, because of the thin microfibre ;)
-not breathable, because of the warming wadding

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's no contest if taking into account utility and value when comparing a modern jacket like Trenchfriend's and more classic jackets like waxed cotton and leather. Trenchfriend's jacket is cheaper, lighter, more easily washed and probably better at waterproofing than waxed cotton or leather considering the low price. I still feel that waxed cotton and leather are more interesting materials and are more pleasant to wear casually though. The way they conform to your body over time and take on creases with age is much more graceful than polymer based jackets. I think a leather jacket would work well for you Trench. A minimalist cafe racer style seems right for your body type IMO.

casechopper

Wouldn't a jacket made from recycled plastic bottles be better for the environment than a leather jacket made from cattle raised on corn from fields fertilized by petro based fertilizers? Leather is also treated with all kinds of nasty chemicals that are probably worse for the environment than synthetics. I enjoy leather as much as anyone here but it isn't exactly environmentally friendly.

I think a leather jacket would work well for you Trench. A minimalist cafe racer style seems right for your body type IMO.

I still got two leather-jackets. My 2003's Nappa-blouson and the 2007's pork-split jacket. But I prefer my aviator-like pork-split jacket. The pork-split is lighter than the Nappa, got a fantastic aging-patina and is really allround, robust and longlasting. Great working-horse of a leather-jacket, for autumn and wintertime!! :)

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Believe me, flyweight-people like me are happy about that newer microfibre-polyester/polyamid jackets. Leather jackets are just for 80kg-people upwards. ;)

I'm 56kilos, and love my jacket in thick hide, it is all perception, as long as the size is right, and the model fits your type of person, then leather jacket would look fine, leather jacket behaves rather similar to denim jacket.

I'm same weight like you. My old Nappa-blouson is like carrying a heavy leather-tank on my shoulders. :D It's ok for usual appointments, going by car and walk some meters on destination. But, I don't want to be underways by feet, for more than 3 kilometers. :confused:;)

In direct compare, I would say, that my thick Nappa got at least 1/3 more weight than the pork-split. And my Denim-jacket is lighter than the pork-split.

casechopper

Levi's commuter jacket

K87W42uh.jpg
KjTW0Lfh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112