Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

tortswon

Practically Family
Sailor King of Pen

I really enjoy signing Orders with the King of Pen (not King of Pens for some reason). The King Eagle nib is three sets of tines placed on top of each other which gives it a brush-like feel. Each nib is hand made.

The body of the pen is covered with red urushi lacquer. As time goes on, the lacquer wears away allowing bits of the underlying black lacquer to show through. This takes a long time and requires a lot of use. When the black shows through, that is considered to be the highest aesthetic of urushi art. I'm still working on it.

If someone will PM me with instructions on how to upload photos, I will supplement this posting. Thanks, Sam

tortswon

Practically Family
Today's pen

I am using my size 7 Conklin crescent today. This pen has a great history. One of its first endorsers was Mark Twain who called it his expletive deleter. As the story goes, he wrote on a lectern that tilted toward him. Pens would roll off and fall to the floor causing expletives from Mr. Twain. Conklin designed a pen with a crescent filler that came out of the side of the pen which prevented the pen from rolling off the lectern. This is a really solid RHR pen and a great writer.

yachtsilverswan

Familiar Face
My carry for today was a Visconti Divina Proporzione LE (the sterling version) with a medium nib regound by Nibmeister Richard Binder into a smooth cursive italic. The CI nib produces the line width variation that I like - wider on the vertical strokes, much narrower on the horizontal strokes.

I like the math and science theme of the pen's design - an homage to Phi and its role in both our biologic evolution and our intrinsic sense of perceived beauty.

The briarwood celluloid and the spiraling sterling silver bars look great, and the look works with a faded polo and khakis just as well as with a dark suit.

I couldn't convince my laptop and FL to let me upload photos directly, so here's a link to a review of the pen with lots of great photos by an enthusiast at Fountain Pen Network:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48595

DeaconKC

One Too Many
"Black Tie" I like that description.....
It is a striking pen in it's own right, not flashy, but subdued elegance. Makes me look funny at my Pelikan now as it feels much more substantial.

Currently, just a cheapo ballpoint kiped from a "Major Defense/Aerospace Contractor" supply-closet, but I'm looking at a Benchmade 1100.
Benchmade-1100-2-rw-12914-30636.jpg

----------------
Now playing: Carlo Siliotto - The Arrow
via FoxyTunes

Diamondback said:
Currently, just a cheapo ballpoint kiped from a "Major Defense/Aerospace Contractor" supply-closet, but I'm looking at a Benchmade 1100.
Benchmade-1100-2-rw-12914-30636.jpg

----------------
Now playing: Carlo Siliotto - The Arrow
via FoxyTunes

That is a pretty hi-tech looking pen. You should google a Rotring Core it looks like a Nike Sneaker designed fountain pen, I have 2 and have given away a few more. They are fun!

John in Covina said:
That is a pretty hi-tech looking pen.
It's also aircraft-aluminum, so if you have to defend yourself with it you can. (Benchmade's a high-$$$ knifemaker, this is a sideline.) AKA: "Tactical Pen"--still a ballpoint, though, even though it does use a Fisher Space Pen refill. The Core has some neat features, too, I'll give it that--and I could get a dozen for one 1100's cost.

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Grievous Speaks To Lord Sidious
via FoxyTunes

Diamondback said:
It's also aircraft-aluminum, so if you have to defend yourself with it you can. (Benchmade's a high-$$$ knifemaker, this is a sideline.) AKA: "Tactical Pen"--still a ballpoint, though, even though it does use a Fisher Space Pen refill. The Core has some neat features, too, I'll give it that--and I could get a dozen for one 1100's cost.

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Grievous Speaks To Lord Sidious
via FoxyTunes
A Core won't hold up to fending off an assalant as well as anything from Benchmade. Now if Cold Steel made pens....

Lamy Safari's are an outstanding value, they are considered Student pens, and as such they're inexpensive compared to other fountain pens and write great. This is another good choice as a starter pen and as gifts for the uninitiated.

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
I carry a black Phileues Waterman fountain pen. I don't carry it everywhere mind you, I prefer pencils when it comes to just jotting down ideas and notes, but it is very attractive and good for handwritten letters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21