Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What powder, foundation..

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
Are best for vintage appeal?

There are so many foundation's, liquid make-up on the market now especially catering to those of us that are late baby boomers ;)

I can't really wear mascara because of eye allergies so, i'm thinking eyeliner or pencil. and i have not worn eye shadow in years so wonder about colors?

If there are any tutorials or books out there, please, do share:)

zombi

A-List Customer
Well, I use a mineral powder foundation [huh] I don't know about how vintage it is or isn't, but it doesn't have any of that pearly look that some modern liquid foundations have, it matches my skin tone, it goes on looking nice and matte, and it doesn't mess with my skin as badly as liquids do. I use the Laura Mercier brand right now.

MrSpadesGirl

New in Town
I just got Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse and it seems to work nicely. It goes on smoothly and doesn't look cakey. Also, it was only about $8. I'm thinking of trying the Benefit Some Kind-a-Gorgeous, but it's a lot pricier ($28) and I'd rather buy some new shoes with that money. :D

Inky

One Too Many
For a nice vintage foundation look you can always turn to the classic Max Factor Pan-stick or Pan-cake, but sadly the Max Factor line is going to be phased out of the US market in 2010, but will be continue available in the UK, so stock up if you like it.

I use Bare Minerals Matte because I like the lightness of a mineral foundation on my face, but yet it still gives good coverage.

EDITED TO ADD:

I just realized you asked about powder too! a very classic powder is Coty Airspun. This is available in many drug stores and is very affordable.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I've just discovered Estee Lauder doublewear. Its great, quite a heavy coverage in lovely pale shades and it really does stay on. It gives me the slightly fake look I like.

I used to used the Maybelline mousse, its good but it does dry up after a while and it doesn't go quite pale enough for me.

Avalon

A-List Customer
For powder, I second Inky's suggestion of the Airspun. For foundation...I'm actually really interested in these comments because I think it's time for a new one myself! :p

Smuterella

One Too Many
Oh, I use Airspun too, its cheap and lasts forever and its lovely. I've currently got the translucent but I think I'll try the Rachel no. 1 next.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
I've been using Aromaleigh minerals for the past few years and I'm in love with them. They stay on, conceal my rosacea and just do a great job overall.

the site is www.aromaleigh.com if you want to check it out. I also love her red mineral lippies too.

clubwitsend

Practically Family
I use Makeup Forever HD Foundation- and its really great for evening out the complexion- especially if you're getting your photo taken! They make great concealer as well...and Laura Mercier has a great concealer...

For powder, I actually use Neutrogena!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I love how the mineral foundations feel, but when my Tzone goes to work, I find it breaks up and magnifies my pores.

I use liquid concealer around my eyes and dab it on any spots. I don't use the stick concealers as I think they tug too much on the delicate eye area. I don't use all-over foundation. I find that if my skin is properly moisturized, I can use a bit of a heavier powder that will act like a matte foundation. My current fav is L'Oreal True Match super blendable powder. They break the line down into cool, warm and neutral. I'm super fair with pink tones and C1 Alabaster works best for me.

Ages ago, I worked for Merle Norman and they had some nice foundations. If you have a studio near you, you can get a makeover and see how the products look and feel before you buy. If you find a really good beauty advisor there (that's what they call em) she can probably help create a vintage look too. Hope that helps.

Question: Is Airspun loose or pressed? I miss having loose powder.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
The Coty Airspun that I tried was loose. And maybe I'm the only one.... but I couldn't stand the strong fragrance of it. It nearly made me gag. :(

Marla

A-List Customer
For the even skin tone of vintage beauties be sure to always use a primer before applying foundation--it is a must!

Fleur has a great makeup product guide on her blog Diary of A Vintage Girl.

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
For a nice vintage foundation look you can always turn to the classic Max Factor Pan-stick or Pan-cake, but sadly the Max Factor line is going to be phased out of the US market in 2010, but will be continue available in the UK, so stock up if you like it.

No way!!! :eek: I had not heard about this!!! This makes me very sad. :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Babydoll said:
The Coty Airspun that I tried was loose. And maybe I'm the only one.... but I couldn't stand the strong fragrance of it. It nearly made me gag. :(

There's an unscented version -- it comes in a blue-and-white box, rather than the orange and white one. It's harder to find than it used to be though, and I'm hoping it's not discontinued.

Airspun only comes as loose now, although Coty used to make a pressed version. Pressed users can easily convert the loose into cake form, though, by just mixing it with a little alcohol and spreading the paste into an empty compact. Once dry, it works fine as a pressed powder.

Lenore

Practically Family
I use Everyday Minerals mineral foundation. I luuuuuuuuuuuvre it. I use the matte blend for everyday, and the intensive blend on those blotchy around that time of the month days. I can't wear most other minerals because I'm sensitive to the bismuth oxide in them, but EDM has no bismuth. Also, because I'm so pale, it's always been hard for me to find makeup that suited, but with EDM you can make your own mix, and they offer sample sizes so you can try things out without having to buy a full sized jar.

They're also based in Austin, and I have to support my fellow Texans. ;)

I keep a powder box full of Airspun too, though I never use it, because I love the smell.. I wonder how it might work over my foundation powder... hmmm......:rolleyes:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I use Mary Kay's (its widely available in the US through a rep or their website) cream to powder foundation that I apply with a cosmetic sponge, then use MK loose face powder to set it using a huge powder brush.

I prefer the kind of eyebrow, eye and lip liner pencils you have to sharpen with a makeup pencil sharpener, compared to the newfangled twist up kind. I use an almost foundation makeup colored beige-y peach matte eyeshadow color (MK) that I apply with my finger.

Black eyeliner, black mascara - two coats with an eyelash curler used first unless I have on the medium synthetic eyelash extensions. I use a regular matte lipstick, usually Clinique. This works well for me for my 40s makeup look. The makeup never changes with whatever vintage colors I wear. Here are some pics showing my standard 40s makeup:

A few months back, my hair is much longer now! Mascara used on upper and lower lashes
362688693.jpg

Halloween '09 with fellow FL members Doran and JamesPowers. Eyelash extensions worn, mascara on bottom lashes
377047416.jpg

A good pic for showing the eyelash extensions
372443462.jpg

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
I LOVE Everyday Minerals as well! Right now I am using their pressed powder foundation and I have NEVER been more happy with a foundation! It has fantastic coverage, best I have had with any mineral makeup and comes in a color that is actually light enough & matches my skin tone. And no mess like Bare Minerals. (not to mention way less $)

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
MrSpadesGirl said:
I just got Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse and it seems to work nicely. It goes on smoothly and doesn't look cakey. Also, it was only about $8. I'm thinking of trying the Benefit Some Kind-a-Gorgeous, but it's a lot pricier ($28) and I'd rather buy some new shoes with that money. :D

I use and love Some Kind-a Gorgeous. It good for when you want light coverage. The only problem is that it comes in two skin tones, medium and dark. I can just get away with the medium even though I ma fair. You have to be careful not to overdo it.

When I need more coverage I love Bare Escentuals mineral foundation. It's only foundation that doesn't look cakey or accentuates fine lines and pores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana