Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What powder, foundation..

Lillemor

One Too Many
L'oreal Infallible 300 Amber. I'd been using L'oreal True Match golden beige before which I can now see was a huge mistake and I shudder at the thought of what I might've looked like on close neck/face inspection I also needed to use more product of the True Match for the same coverage. L'oreal Infallible 300 Amber is fantastic with my winter complexion and delivers on its promises on my skin. Even with my oil prone skin I don't use powder unless it's a special occassion. A little goes a long way for me. I've hardly touched my concealer either.

Last summer I had a good natural cover with Rimmel 022 Sun Bronze matte bronzer without any foundation under. I currently use Rimmel Stay Matte in Transluscent which gives me a slightly lighter but still natural complexion which I think looks a bit more vintage than my natural complexion alone but obviously it doesn't even out my flaws.

Various reviewers say the True Match is better and gives better coverage so "you should choose True match instead of Infallible". I hate general recommendations however well intended.:mad: That may be true for that individual but you must really try and compare brands and even different lines in the same brand on your own skin!

I also think some women don't realize how little of the Infallible they need to use compared to True Match but that's just my experience. Being a hypocrite with that last statement.:eek:

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
A poll would've been useful

My foundation staples are Bare Escentuals in the winter for near flawless skin, and Revlon's Colorstay Active liquid in the summer because it's almost completely sweat-proof. And speaking of summer, Ben Nye makes a great cream foundation that IS sweat proof and lasts for ages. Dozens of colors and about $8 each. Great for contouring also if you use a darker shade than your skin shade. Ben Nye is a theater make-up company and I stumbled across them at a costume store one Halloween. If you need porcelain or ghost-white for the very fair, this company makes it.

I follow up with Ben Nye's Powder Set in pink usually, but sometimes white (the banana shade looks great on my daughter who has yellow undertones, btw). The pink is undetectable on my skin (I have pink undertones), as are the other two shades. But for some reason, I look a little different depending on which of them powder I use.

For on-the-go use and powder touch-ups, I use NYX's Twin Cake. It works better than MAC and other high-end brands for a compact foundation.

I haven't tried Coty's powder in ages and noticed it in a Walgreens the other day. My grandmother used it religiously when I was a child. I wonder if the scent would trigger memories.

Interesting thread, but a poll would be handy of maybe 6 or 7 brands mentioned and one more category of 'other'.

Gigit

New in Town
Also, I am shopping for a fantastic pale foundation for sensitive oily skin that is prone to breakouts. I'm using Clinque Superbalanced in Alabaster and while it matches my skintone OK (a tad dark I think) it gets very oily by mid afternoon. I'm definitely on the market for something that feels light but provides fantastic coverage that lasts. My budget is up to $45.

Drappa

One Too Many
Also, I am shopping for a fantastic pale foundation for sensitive oily skin that is prone to breakouts. I'm using Clinque Superbalanced in Alabaster and while it matches my skintone OK (a tad dark I think) it gets very oily by mid afternoon. I'm definitely on the market for something that feels light but provides fantastic coverage that lasts. My budget is up to $45.

I used to have Clinique Superblanced in Alabaster, so think we may have similar skintones. I now discovered Estee Lauder Doublewear in Ecru (and in Fresco in the summer) and am completely sold on it. It does not come off even right after application, not on tissues or clothing, but feels light at the same time and covers well. They also do a light version, but I haven't tried it. I finish it with Lily Lolo finishing powder.

Last edited:

mathilda.honey

New in Town
The perfect foundation

I have just discovered Bobbi Brown's Natural finish long lasting foundation spf 15 and am loving it! I am very fair with sensitive/combination skin. It provides soft-matte all-day wear.

ongsar

New in Town
I second the Estee Lauder Double Wear (Fresco is my color as well, though I might go one darker when this bottle runs out, as it's a tad light for me). I have sensitive, oily, acne-prone skin, and this stays fresh looking for hours and has great coverage. The coverage is also really adjustable, I use my fingers most often (since it is a medium/full coverage foundation, I find this avoids caking best when really worked into the skin with fingers), but if I'm going for a truly flawless finish, I use a brush :) Lancome Tient Idole Ultra is another favorite of mine - I wear Buff in that one.

calendargirl

New in Town
I've been using Cover Girl Nature Luxe foundation. Pros: It's completely natural, and has a nice medium coverage with a tinted moisturized like consistency. Cons: I've been breaking out and I think it's the culprit. Back to the drawing board.

I was thinking True Match but from what I can tell from the posts ladies either really love it or really hate it.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I used to use Mac devotee, but i have really gone right off their foundations and primers.

I love Estee Lauder Doublewear as it stays put and gives good coverage. Just recently i tried Vichy dermablend, which is way cheaper than the Estee Lauder (about £10) and yet i think a far superior product. It's a miracle!!!!!!

I wanted to share this with anyone who likes a medium to full coverage foundation. I bought the Opal shade which is the second lightest and is a perfect colour match for me. (pale skin with yellow undertones). I don't need to use concealer under my eyes or on minor blemishes/psoriasis anymore, yet i did with the Doublewear, it also hasn't broken me out, which the Doublewear did. You also need to use a pea size amount, which covers my face and neck, so it is very good value for money. I used a kabuki brush to buff it in after i applied it with my fingers, according to an online tutorial i saw and i have to say my skin looked the best it has for ages.

It seems to have gotten very good reviews online, as has their setting powder, which i may try, although i love my Coty.

Anais

New in Town
I currently use Christian Dior's "Diorskin Forever" pressed powder, it has a SPF of 25, which I find very nice because I find sunscreens too... gloopy to put on! The coverage is amazing, I just wish I could find a more natural/mineral equivalent, because I like to avoid chemicals where I can!
So if anyone reading this has any recommendations, please let them be heard, I'd be very happy to hear them!

Having said this, under the Diorskin pressed powder I use dr. Hauschka's liquid foundation in their lightest color, dr. Hauschka uses the most natural and chemical free ingredients and I really love that about their products, but I have tried their pressed powder and it just doesn't work for me, so I use the one by Christian Dior until I find a better more natural one...

I also use dr. Hauschka's concealer stick, which is amazing!

Last edited:

Miss Retro Chic

New in Town
I've been a devotee of Catrice Mineral Powder in Light Beige 110 for a long time. It gives a nice even coverage and doesn't suffocate my sensitive skin. It is also a very nice pale shade. Perfect for the winter months.
But recently I purchased Bourjois Bio Detox foundation which is slightly darker, which is better in the summer. It gives a nice even cover, without making me look "made up". The only downside is it's smell. I don't like the "nature" smell as it is not quite, well... natural, if you know what I mean.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I just got Shu Uemura Nobarra stick as a replacement for my MAC studiostick. The shade 584 is a great match for NW10/15.

I still prefer my MAC studiostick as it has a powdery texture as it dries.

The Shu one is more emolliant and I'm tempted to add powder over the top. Overall, very impressed.

For powder i use MAC pro set powders. I mix white with rose pink and a touch of Coty powder or MAC in a very light shade.

I'm also loving the new MAC careblend powder foundation for lazy days.

Isis

One of the Regulars
I prefer mineral foundations and the best by far I have ever tried are Lucy Minerals:

http://www.lucyminerals.com/

I have super sensitive skin but LM gives me no trouble at all. They gives a very nice coverage while still looking natural and has several colours. I use Light in winter and Bisque in summer.

Miss Edith

New in Town
I use Loreal True Match in W1 Pocelain for foundation and MAC Studio Fixin NC15 for Powder. Does anyone remember the Pond's brand pressed powder? I loved the smell of it!

maisie

Practically Family
I really want to try the Coty airspun power, but does anyone recommend the colour to buy for someone with fair skin? I was thinking of getting the translucent one, but I want that pale, matte look, so I don't want it to be too translucent!
Also does anyone recommend where to but from?!?! I looked on UK amazon and its around £11, however you can get two for that price on US ebay. I am, however, wary of buying cosmetics of ebay due to all the forgeries of other cosmetic brands around :S.

zombi

A-List Customer
^ I am very fair and the translucent works nicely for a pale, matte look for me. Otherwise, I am not sure. I assume it's not for sale in any stores in the UK?

Vivi

New in Town
7684e8d2.jpg

To start, I use Benefits That Gal primer mixed with Porefessional to reduce pores, then Revlon ColorStay foundation in Nude, and set it with Hello Flawless powder. Doesn't look cakey or flakey and lasts all day. I have sensitive skin and none of these products irritate me. :)

Juliet

A-List Customer
I've just tried Lush's Jackie Oates Colour Supplement and I'm in love! Great for coverage under the eyes and mixed with moisturiser, gives a wonderful complexion! Which is especially a problem for me these days, as I'm hugely stressed, and am not sleeping enough, and, of course, my skin shows it every bit.
I was afraid, it would be either not light enough or a shrilly colour, but it's just great, great, great!

Edit: Also very light on the skin, although I've read some find it oily, and some runny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana