Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what type of outfit should my wife get?

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I have gotten my wife to dress out for an event in August. It will most likely be hot and we will be outside with our dog(s). The interpretation is American kennel club members recruiting pet dogs to join the war effort.
I am looking for ideas of how she should dress to be somewhat upper class but wearing something that would be appropriate for working with dogs. In other words she needs an upscale set of work clothes for 1942.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Is there any literature from the AKC on showing dogs from the time period? That could be an inspiration.

I know from when I showed sheep that we were expected to wear all white (anyone who showed any kind of farm animal wore white). I know zero about showing dogs, however. I'm seeing these gorgeous wide legged trousers though, but no idea of historical accuracy. I'm also not sure if show clothes would be worn in such a situation.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I saw something about that on a special about dogs and war - Dogs for Defense, Inc., started by Alene Earlinger in 1942.

Maybe this silhouette in printed cotton or rayon (since it's so hot and humid in VA in the summer, print will camoflauge any "glistening"). It could be a dress or a skirt and button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

sweetieGREENMUMS1.jpg

(Trashy Diva reproduction "Sweetie" dress)

A wedge shoe might be a good one for dog handling on a grassy area - no tumbles from a heel sinking into the dirt or a gopher hole and these styles suit the era:

SL272039(2).jpg

Rocket Originals

101bonebrown.JPG

Remix Vintage

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
We will be doing Dogs for Defense. Most of the pictures we found are the celebrities and clearly the high-end fundraisers. We will be doing a recruiting setup so we will be less formally dressed. The wedge shoes are a good idea since the large number of tanks causes a very uneven field. The skirt and shirt is the option she is leaning towards.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I would say another prime consideration (often overlooked!) is dressing appropriate to age along with social status, and weather, in this case, for living history. Look for pics in places like Getty archives to do with Kennel Club or other similar organisations for WW2. A cotton dress and some sort of jacket or linen suit might work and a lace up shoe with a small heel would probably be better than a wedge, which I always find can be a bit of an ankle turner on uneven ground!

Just did a quick search at www.gettyimages.com and found this:

Dress, jacket and court type shoes. Others show what looks like cotton or rayon dresses and lace up shoes. Whilst not exactly what you will be doing, it is a reasonable place to start.

Do an advanced search for editorial images and put appropriate dates in to narrow down what it will throw up. I find Getty Archives to be brilliant for period images.

epr25

Practically Family
How about something like this?
a05874ab8e30bbb34b0264379439f4cd.jpg
I bought a pair from this company and was very please with them. Plus if it's hot she could just wear a bandana or a snood and her hair would be ready for humidity. Keds for shoes and comfort and any cute button up shirt or Rue 21 actually has some pretty good striped sort of nautical vintagey t shirts.
http://www.shop.nicolekatherinedesigns.com/Bar-NK-Overalls-Bar-NK-Overalls.htm

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ