Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What vintage won't you wear?

St. Louis

Practically Family
Lizzie, I agree that late 30s to 40s shirt dresses are universally flattering. They're fitted through the body and usually have pleats or gores in the skirts. Most have sleeves as well, unless they're the later 40s cap sleeve style (much more flattering than modern cap sleeves b/c of the big shoulders.)

Apple Blossom, like you, I'm trying to make all my so-called vintage stuff. I've become worried about wearing out irreplaceable artifacts.

adara260

New in Town
I am open to trying all vintage at least once but there are definitely shapes that are not flattering on me:

Empire waist dresses of the late 60s/70s. This makes me look pregnant.

Bullet bras, my breasts point outwards and these bras tend to fit breasts that are straight so I just have weird spillage

Mini skirts emphasize my bigger thighs and it makes me look awful instead of strong/feminine.

I prefer skater dresses of the 60s, new look of the 40s/50s, big shoulders of the 40s, bias cut of the 30s, anything that emphasizes a tiny top and has allowance for a bigger bottom, foundation garments that cinch it up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff