Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

I really, really wanted to like this one; but I watched it with my mouth open half the time in disbelief. I didn't enjoy it at all.
I also watched it a few days ago and was pretty unimpressed. Far too brain-dead and violent for me.
Producer/Writer/Director Matthew Vaughn has said the concept for this movie was for it to be a re-imagined, over-the-top, homage to the Roger Moore era Bond movies, and to the stylized "super spy" television series' from the 1960s like The Avengers and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. that he grew up watching. That being said, I think you have to approach it in the same way you'd watch something like The Expendables, or just about any Arnold Schwarzenegger movie--give your brain a couple of hours off, and don't take it seriously--so I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Oh, and fair warning, it was intended to be the first movie in a new franchise, so if it makes enough money there will probably be at least one sequel.

...One thing I did like that I forgot to mention before: it was a pleasure to see Mark Strong playing a good guy for a change!
I agree. He has the right "look" to play the villainous roles, but I think he's a versatile actor who could handle almost any part they could throw at him.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1921)

the-four-horsemen-of-the-apocalypse-everett.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Flying Fleet (1929) Ramon Navarro, Anita Page. Great Golden age uniforms! Still wearing capes, riding breeches, and high boots, plus great leather jackets! The technical director was Frank "Spig" Wead, with the full cooperation of the Navy! If that name sounds familiar, it's because, John Wayne played him in The Wings Of Eagles. Nice to see the USS Langley in all her glory!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"In Which We Serve" - Great WWII actioner about the HMS Torrin, Royal Navy Destroyer. It follows the ships, birth, battles and death at the hands of the Luftwaffe. Well acted and directed by Noel Coward (yes THAT one) and David Lean. A little too "Upstairs Downstairs" for me in its handling of class differences in the Service but well done. I rate it a smidge behind "The Cruel Sea" which covers the same story but with a far grittier feel and tone. TCS was done AFTER the war and reflects a whole different sensibility towards war and death... Both are well worth a good look.

Worf

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The Flying Fleet (1929) Ramon Navarro, Anita Page. Great Golden age uniforms! Still wearing capes, riding breeches, and high boots, plus great leather jackets! The technical director was Frank "Spig" Wead, with the full cooperation of the Navy! If that name sounds familiar, it's because, John Wayne played him in The Wings Of Eagles. Nice to see the USS Langley in all her glory!

I recorded this silent on TCM the other night.
Although in B&W, noticed the different shades of the leather jackets ranging from light to dark.
qzj6ah.png

"In Which We Serve" - Great WWII actioner about the HMS Torrin, Royal Navy Destroyer. It follows the ships, birth, battles and death at the hands of the Luftwaffe. Well acted and directed by Noel Coward (yes THAT one) and David Lean. A little too "Upstairs Downstairs" for me in its handling of class differences in the Service but well done. I rate it a smidge behind "The Cruel Sea" which covers the same story but with a far grittier feel and tone. TCS was done AFTER the war and reflects a whole different sensibility towards war and death... Both are well worth a good look.

Worf

It's been awhile since I've seen "IWWS," but my bit-shaky memory is that it was really well done, but like another of my favorites from that time period, "Mrs. Miniver," it is very well done propaganda. I don't mean that derisively, England didn't know if it was going to survive the Nazi onslaught - so it makes sense to me that the country would be making morale-boosting movies (hand-wringing and moral doubt are the luxuries of having won).

Noel Coward does do an excellent job and I love Celia Johnson who played his wife in it - an outstanding actress who can convey more emotion with subtle facial nuances than most actors. These movies are treasures as they reflect the message - at the time - that the government and many private citizens wanted to send the public in a way that no movie made later - even on the exact same subject - can. And most, not all, movies that David Lean was involved in are worth a watch.

Last edited:
Memoirs of a Geisha.....excellent Retro 1930's & Post WWII Japan love story, Rob Marshall directing...

I read the book back when it came out and my distant memory is that it, like a lot of books and movies, does well for the first two-thirds, but then falls apart (or at least becomes predictable and / or silly) in the last third. How'd the movie handle the ending - did it feel silly and predictable as the book or did it work well? Also, I can image that the period sets and pieces are beautiful, especially with how well they do those things today.

Bolero

A-List Customer
Yes cinematography (sp) was exceptional delivering a very realistic feel to the movie and the times, The 1st 1/3 of the movie moves a little slow and can be confusing...The middle is exceptional and riveting, the final 1/3 of the movie is very well done, holding my attention, the final 3 or 4 minutes are a great surprise delivering a Feel Good effect to the overall, if you've never seen it, rent it...

Yes cinematography (sp) was exceptional delivering a very realistic feel to the movie and the times, The 1st 1/3 of the movie moves a little slow and can be confusing...The middle is exceptional and riveting, the final 1/3 of the movie is very well done, holding my attention, the final 3 or 4 minutes are a great surprise delivering a Feel Good effect to the overall, if you've never seen it, rent it...

My girlfriend says she saw it (and she thought I had - if I did, I don't remember anything other than the coming attractions from it) and thought it held up well to the book. I am intrigued and will check it out.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I read the book back when it came out and my distant memory is that it, like a lot of books and movies, does well for the first two-thirds, but then falls apart (or at least becomes predictable and / or silly) in the last third. How'd the movie handle the ending - .

I loved Memoirs of a Geisha and the film came in a close second. Its protagonist as I recall had voiced some public objection toward the author;
whom apparently based his novel on extensive interviews with her, which added some controversial flavor to the story.
I love Nippon and Geisha delivered an emotional experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto