Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

"Night Into Morning," with Ray Milland and Nancy Davis (eventually Nancy Reagan).

A part tear-jerker, part poor-man's "The Lost Weekend," as Ray Milland's character, a college professor, loses his wife and child in a home gas explosion that pushes him into a downward spiral of depression accompanied by an increasing dependency on alcohol. The movie follows his decent, his friends and colleagues reactions and, overall, attempts to help him, his students' travails, his best friend's rocky engagement, some inconsistent interaction with his neighbors and a final dramatic scene (which I'll leave unmentioned for those who haven't seen it).

Even though it was predictable and uneven, I enjoyed it overall, in part for the movie itself and, in part, for the 1950s college campus and town time travel.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Westward the Women" - One of my "stop and drops". I recorded it off of TCM (god I love that channel). Great film... great character actors and marvelous characters....

"If you weren't so tall I'd kiss you!"

Worf

'His Girl Friday" (1940) Cary Grant, and Rosalind Russell.

Love this movie and was able to watch about twenty minutes of it the other day on TCM. Even though I've seen it several times, I was still surprised at how fast the dialogue is. Grant and Russell practically fire their words out of machines guns at each other. It looks like they really enjoyed their scenes together.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Snowpiercer - I have mixed feelings about this one. Very well done - outstanding production design, well acted by a fine cast (Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, Jamie Bell, Ed Harris, etc.), continually surprising, and with a good deal of intelligence behind it... but man, it's really depressing. And, like all the recent future-dystopia films (Hunger Games, Maze Runner, The Giver, Divergent, Mad Max, etc.), I didn't believe the basic setup for a second. It took me a boatload of suspension of disbelief about things like how world-encircling train tracks could be used for years in ice age conditions without any track maintenance.

That said, I liked it much better than the utterly brainless Mad Max: Fury Road. That that nearly plotless, characterless, intelligence-free action movie has been loaded with Oscar noms and topped ten-best lists just utterly mystifies me.

FATS88

One of the Regulars
Those of us where already 28 years old in 1983 and were bitterly disappointed in Jedi. I walked out of the film on opening day going, "Wait a minute: they had unlimited time and resources to make a film even better than Empire... and all they could come up with for grand finale was destroying the Death Star AGAIN?!?"

Come to think of it, I said the exact same thing a few weeks ago after seeing The Force Awakens!

For me, none have been better than "Empire"
And, come to think of it, I'm in no hurry to SEE "Awakens"

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Not just for you. Empire has stood right at the top of the Star Wars heap since Jedi disappointed.

It's the classic first film, 3 stars; second film, 4 stars; third film, 2 stars pattern. See the Spider-Man and Dark Knight trilogies for recent examples.

The majority of film trilogies seem to follow this same sequence: The first film is something new and exciting, but is held back a bit by its very newness and moderate budget. The second film excels due to the big success of the first, featuring a bigger budget and grander storytelling ambition. The third film is too long, self-indulgent, and repetitive, often introducing too many villains and not giving the heroes enough screen time, and feeling bloated and less satisfying.

Not all trilogies follow this model... but MANY do.

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
"Secret of the Incas" Charlton Heston and Robert Young. Made in 1954. Great story Heston's outfit makes it like an early Indiana Jones movie.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
The Finest Hours (2016) on opening night. The film is set in 1952, so there is a lot of late era clothing and cars, and from what I read, it was a fairly accurate rendition of the S.S. Pendleton Coast Guard rescue. Enjoyed it: a great old fashioned true hero rescue story, with the expected side romance.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Spotlight. The movie is a sombering reminder that humans must always be wary of the evil within. Even in good organizations or institutions.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Last night I introduced The Man From UNCLE to my family, which was thoroughly enjoyed by all. Later, we watched (for the umpteenth time in my case) that most historical of films, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Finished re-watching "Quigley Down Under". Good shootem up. Alan Rickman's character just oozes nasty. Good to remember; just cause you don't have much use for something doesn't mean you don't know how to use it.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Everest. The best way to describe this movie is visceral. I remember watching the documentary one the 1996 Everest Disaster that was released directly after the disaster, and being absolutely mesmerized by it. I couldn't help but to watch, even if I didn't want to. While the movie isn't as emotionally driven as the documentary (they are of no relation, however), it is still an incredible film to watch with incredible imagery. I wouldn't put it down as hard as some other critics did, but I wouldn't say it's in the same class as, say, The Revenant, either.
Bone Tomahawk

Awesome.
It was a fun flick. A bit slow for a while, but it picked up. I didn't mind the slowness, though, because it allowed you to enjoy and connect with a bunch of characters you wouldn't have cared about otherwise. Even if Indian hunter you could grow to like and care about him when he dies.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana