Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

48 Hours and Beverly Hill Cop :D

"48 Hours" is one of my favorite movies (that I'm not proud of) as it did the cop / buddy thing, IMHO, better than any other movie. There are no boring scenes in the movie and no political correctness. Murphy is on fire as his style and humor was all fresh and bold at the time and Nolte more than holds his own with Murphy.

The story moves along weaving humor and action wonderfully while building the relationship between Murphy and Nolte. "Beverly Hills Cop" is an enjoyable movie, but you can already feel that the Hollywood machine was taking over Eddie Murphy's raw, awesome talent and "marketing" and packaging it in a contrived way.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
"48 Hours" is one of my favorite movies (that I'm not proud of) as it did the cop / buddy thing, IMHO, better than any other movie. There are no boring scenes in the movie and no political correctness. Murphy is on fire as his style and humor was all fresh and bold at the time and Nolte more than holds his own with Murphy.

The story moves along weaving humor and action wonderfully while building the relationship between Murphy and Nolte. "Beverly Hills Cop" is an enjoyable movie, but you can already feel that the Hollywood machine was taking over Eddie Murphy's raw, awesome talent and "marketing" and packaging it in a contrived way.
As I recall, the chief murderer they are after was a scary dude, too. James Remar was the actor's name. He's been around a long time, but like the fellow who played Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs, Ted Levine, he's never gotten his proper measure of fame.

As for Murphy, it was after I saw the horror of Superman III that I realized: If the producers had cast Murphy instead of Richard Pryor, and played the whole "Let's destroy Superman" story straight, it would have saved that flick. Imagine Murphy as a savvy computer whiz, not a goofball, who works a computer scam on Robert Vaughn's company; Vaughn spots talent like his own, unfettered by conscience; and they go after Superman together! That would have been sharp. (Still I liked Annette O'Toole as Lana Lang, and the "Superman, you're a mean drunk" sequence in the bar. But they weren't enough to save the story.)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The Ghost Ship - An RKO offering from 1943. Richard Dix gives a marvelous and nuanced performance as a Captain gone round the bend. Dix had been with RKO since the silent era. I always felt he betrayed his "silent era" roots as he often veered from comatose to chewing up the scenery. I did like him in "Ace of Aces" and "Trans-Atlantic Tunnel" but always felt he was mugging for the camera. He was nominated for an Oscar however for his starring role In "Cimarron" in 1931. The film shows that by 1943 he'd completely honed his craft. As a Captain obsessed with authority and unable to endure any questioning he slowly unravels before our eyes. He, Queeg and Blye would make a marvelous hand to draw to.

Worf

Last edited:
As I recall, the chief murderer they are after was a scary dude, too. James Remar was the actor's name. He's been around a long time, but like the fellow who played Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs, Ted Levine, he's never gotten his proper measure of fame.

As for Murphy, it was after I saw the horror of Superman III that I realized: If the producers had cast Murphy instead of Richard Pryor, and played the whole "Let's destroy Superman" story straight, it would have saved that flick. Imagine Murphy as a savvy computer whiz, not a goofball, who works a computer scam on Robert Vaughn's company; Vaughn spots talent like his own, unfettered by conscience; and they go after Superman together! That would have been sharp. (Still I liked Annette O'Toole as Lana Lang, and the "Superman, you're a mean drunk" sequence in the bar. But they weren't enough to save the story.)

Agreed on Remar, he did an outstanding job giving depth to what was written as a two-dimensional character. And, good thought on Murphy in "Superman III," but as it was made, yup, O'Toole was one of the few bright spots (and she also did well with a small roll in "48 Hours). She looks smart, which makes her very appealing in my book.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I watched the first hour or so of Easy Rider. I need to finish it. Not like I'd expected it to be, but interesting. They all look sooooo young (and alive, in Hopper's case...)!

Inherent Vice (2014). Overly long at 2 hours 28 minutes, the plot wanders quite a bit, and I don't know why everyone insists it's a comedy. But it has that "special something" that makes it watchable, and I'm fairly certain this is my favorite performance by Joaquin Phoenix.

Good! Read the book once upon a time and was hoping that it would be worthwhile.
:D
Yeah...I wouldn't go that far. ;) I can't go into specifics without veering dangerously into "spoiler" territory, but a friend and I were discussing Inherent Vice at dinner tonight and he made the comment that it's one of those movies like The Big Sleep that you watch for the characters, and not so much for the plot. I couldn't disagree.

Yeah...I wouldn't go that far. ;) I can't go into specifics without veering dangerously into "spoiler" territory, but a friend and I were discussing Inherent Vice at dinner tonight and he made the comment that it's one of those movies like The Big Sleep that you watch for the characters, and not so much for the plot. I couldn't disagree.
That is how I felt with the book. I was entertained enough, but do not see me reading anything else by the author.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points