Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Hanzo the Razor" - I watched the last two installments of this trilogy. Weird, kinky and sexy would describe it. Definitely not on the must watch list for the N.O.W. but still a LOT of fun for it's 70's vibe and feel.

Worf

Issues like that are going to happen in shooting action scene multiple takes. What bothers me is when they shoot a period piece (say the 1950's) in films or especially on television, every car you see looks show room new. I mean, I assume that the staff contacts or reaches out to vintage car clubs to fill their streets with period correct autos. Vintage car owners take great pride in total restoration, so you generally don't see any true beaters that are always around in any era. Also, as previously mentioned, you're highly likely too see the same blue/white Corvette, turquoise Firebird, and all of the rest of the vehicles driving past multiple times in numerous scenes.

A few months ago, I walked by a movie set filming, here in NYC, and based on the cars, a "period" piece from the late '70s / early '80s. It was eerie as I am very familiar with NYC in that era and it felt a touch like time travel to be walking by familiar street with those cars on it - physically being there and not just watching it on a screen gave it a much more visceral feel.

Also, and more to skydog757's point, just to populate the approximately 2 blocks of filming, they needed a lot of cars from that era - it couldn't be cheap to rent all of those. Not hard to see why they "re-use" them in multiple shots.

'VERTIGO' (1958) ....hadn't seen it in ages, still fascinating & Jimmy's chocolate brown suit & fedora are just perfect.

He, in truth most of Hitch's leading men, really knew how to dress both on and off screen. Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant almost always look incredibly well attired. If you like Stewart's attire in "Vertigo," check him out also in "Bell, Book and Candle" where he has a similar aesthetic.

Bolero

A-List Customer
"PAPA : Hemingway in Cuba".....Excellent 4 star movie but only if you Know your Hemingway...should have been a Drama Documentary.
Details some real issues between Hemingway and his last wife Mary, Recommended for the Hemingway Buffs...

A few months ago, I walked by a movie set filming, here in NYC, and based on the cars, a "period" piece from the late '70s / early '80s. It was eerie as I am very familiar with NYC in that era and it felt a touch like time travel to be walking by familiar street with those cars on it - physically being there and not just watching it on a screen gave it a much more visceral feel...
I had a similar experience the first time I visited Chicago in 1981. One of my wife's cousins was kind enough to play "tour guide" one night, and at one point he parked the car on a side street somewhere in the downtown area so we could walk around a bit. The street he chose ran under one of the elevated train tracks, had no traffic, and very little activity, so because I'd previously seen the city in countless movies (and New York, and Boston, and Philadelphia, and...) it felt like I was on a studio backlot.

Yesterday was a movie marathon for me. Took my son to see Batman vs Superman in the afternoon at one of the big mall plex theaters and last night I attended a special screening of Purple Rain at one of the historic theaters downtown. Man that one brought back some memories.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just watched "Chariots of Fire" (recorded it when PBS showed it a week or so ago). A bit choppier in the story telling than I remember, but incredibly well done none the less. Also, ahead of its time in focusing on the accuracy of period details - the sets, clothes, architecture, trains, cars, etc. are incredible.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I finally saw The Man From U.N.C.L.E. on HBO. I hated it. With apologies to Benzadmiral, I thought it did a simply terrible job of replicating the fun of the old series. And that's not even getting into its constant dialog anachronisms, stupid plot points, unbelievable action sequences, and near-total lack of chemistry across the leads. Sure it looked good, but style-over-substance is classic Guy Ritchie... and it's the reason I haven't liked a single one of his earlier films.

It's not that I can't appreciate a dumb genre action flick for its own sake - earlier the same day, I watched Dracula Untold... and found its ridiculous Vlad The Impaler via 300 approach kind of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points