Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Sabrina (1954) with Bogie, Audrey Hepburn, and William Holden (billed in that order). Our monthly movie night with another family. Forgot a lot of the clever lines, courtesy dir. Billy Wilder et al. Enjoyed homemade chili and cornbread prepared by the hostess, then chocolate creme pie and coffee during intermission.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
' Sweetwater' (2013).............take half a pound of Jason Isaacs' evil villian in 'Patriot',(played by Isaacs himself) 4oz of Brando's character in 'The Missouri breaks' (Ed Harris) a pinch of Charlize Theron's character in 'A Million Ways To Die In The West' (January Jones), sprinkle with some flavorful dialogue such as in ' Appaloosa' (2008) & leave to bake under the New Mexico sun (superb cinematography) & you've got this very entertaining modern western to be consumed without moderation.

"Dangerous" a 1935 Bette Davis movie with Franchot Tone and Margaret Lindsay. While I enjoy both Tone and Lindsay (although, for some reason, I find Lindsay sometimes hard to understand despite that she seems to speak clearly), this generic movie shows that Norma Desmond was right to adulate stars as Bette Davis is the reason to watch this movie.

Her presence, her power, her charisma or whatever it is that makes someone lift off the screen where others stay put is the real reason to watch this movie. And for an actress that I think of as formidable more than classically feminine, she still has youth on her side and hasn't yet hardened into her later screen persona, so you see a flirty Davis and it works in a fun not (as in those later films) almost scary way.

From that we moved on to "All About Eve," a movie that I've seen too many times, but still enjoy anew each time. This is Davis with her dewy youth all gone - that is basically the driving theme of the movie - but her daunting will driving men and women to and from her. It might be hard to define why a star is not just a very good actor, but it is not hard to identify one when you see one - like Bette Davis.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I watched Lucy a couple of days ago. I liked it a touch more than you. For me, all the action-flick shootouts and car chases fell flat, but the mystical/transhumanist side was fascinating. Of course, it wouldn't have worked at all if Scarlett wasn't so good an actress, and somehow able to be believable in this kind of nutty story.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Finally got around to seeing "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and I really enjoyed it. Henry Cavill could not have been a more perfect fit with a perfect mix of wit and stoicism. The movie really brought a sense of humor and fun to the gentleman spy scene that I haven't seen since "Kingsman". With a lot of fun twists that keeps you guessing the whole movie, I thought it was a fun movie all around, and I wouldn't hesitate to give it a pure 5/5 stars.

green papaya

One Too Many
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS starring Gary Cooper & Ingrid Bergman 1943 in COLOR

a love story between an American man and a Spanish woman during the Spanish Civil War in 1937

they're mission is to blow up a bridge during the Spanish civil war

and they fall in love.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Home with a migraine, so watched The Untouchables on AMC. I have no idea why I've never seen it before (heard of it, yes, but why I waited until now to watch it, I couldn't tell you!). Great movie. I loved Sean Connery's character.

Home with a migraine, so watched The Untouchables on AMC. I have no idea why I've never seen it before (heard of it, yes, but why I waited until now to watch it, I couldn't tell you!). Great movie. I loved Sean Connery's character.

Very good movie (historical accuracy be damned) - I particularly like the scene in the train station for intensity and restrained-but-impactful action versus today's always-over-the-top action scenes.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
On TCM today.
King Solomon’s Mines (1950)
Deborah Kerr & Stewart Granger

The last time I saw this movie was at a drive-in.
I was seven.
The best part was the drums & tribal dancing.

Not much relates to the title of this movie.

The title should have been, “Love Story in Africa”
or “ The Wild Bunch in Africa”.

Although the African wildlife scenery is great.
The killing of animals was not.

The most dangerous species were the main characters.
Each time Deborah screamed, the hero was there to stomp,
beat or shoot whatever animal scared her.

"Jeeze...lady...you’re in wildest Africa with all sorts of creatures.
What the heck did you expect?” o_O

I felt sorry for the animals who happened to be in the way of
this sorry-arse expedition.

Watching it again, the only part I enjoyed
was the drums & tribal dancing. :)

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
An HBO movie called "The Gathering Storm", an incredible biopic about Churchill and his family leading up to the start of World War II and Churchill's return to Lord of Admiralty.

Edward

Bartender
An HBO movie called "The Gathering Storm", an incredible biopic about Churchill and his family leading up to the start of World War II and Churchill's return to Lord of Admiralty.

Was that the one that was made for British TV originally, with Brendan Gleeson playing Churchill? If it's the same one I was thinking of, it was indeed fantastic. Refreshing, too, to see a portrayal of Churchill that was much closer the reality, rather than the usual, uncritical, great heroic myth.

I've seen a few good films in recent weeks. In the Heart of the Sea was great, nice spin on the supposed origins of Moby Dick (no idea how true any of it is). The Revenant was.... well, it looked beautiful, and I enjoyed it and everything, though I can't help feeling it was rather overrated - had the feeling of yet another Oscar handed out not for the performance on screen, but because the Academy realised it had gotten it wrong in the past.... Tom Hardy's was the much more interesting performance; they certainly gave him more to work with.

On the matter of Tom Hardy, we recently watched Legend, in which he plays both the Krays. Excellent film. The claims that it glamourised the Krays is wide of the mark (at least, it didn't glamourise their actions - though undoubtedly they were glamourous monsters in reality). The portrayal of Reggie's first wife is a bit off, and they took a couple of minor liberties with reality (Reggie never lived with her in the flat in Cephas Court), but generally very good. Although oddly sidelined for much of it, Violet Kray was accurately depicted (1990's The Krays was very wide of the mark there - she was not loud, but softly spoken; though the twins' real outrage at that version was that they never heard their mother swear the way that film depicted her). Legend has the advantage of many of the key players now being dead, and so it's a bit easier to depict them on screen.... Hardy's portrayal of Reggie, the role for which the produers wanted him, is very good, nails the character, but it's his take on Ron which takes it to another level. This film doesn't shy away from depicting Ronnie's problems with mental health, and it's a spot on study of what paranoid schitzophrenia, left unchecked, can do to someone. An important part of the Kray story that is often overlooked.

Also caught the latest version of The Jungle Book which is just beautiful, and Paddington - highly recommended whether or not you have an affection for the Michael Bond books from childhood. Surprisingly, though utterly charmingly and pleasantly, political for a "family film".

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
For All Of Mankind (1989) About the Apollo moon landings. If you are looking for a precise history of events this is not the movie for you! It is footage of the actual missions, but all jumbled up, even some Gemini space walk footage. All the narration is by the actual astronauts, no third persons. Some pretty spectacular film, even the ones where the lens was covered with Lunar dust. My favorite line was the one uttered by Pete Conrad, the third man to walk on the moon, "that may have been a small one for Neil, but that's a long one for me." Ironically, I now realize, if I had my choice, I would rather stay on the command modual circling the moon, think, only six men in all of history have circled the moon alone! I still can't believe there are people out there that don't believe we went to the moon! Incidentally, the flags only wave when the astronauts are putting them on the staff, the rest of the time they are motionless!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21