Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I disliked it pretty strongly so the first time. It might have been the soundtrack or the expectations, I do not know. Like you, the cast, the cinematography, its reputation, I should have liked it. I couldn't stand it. Years later, somehow I found myself watching it and for whatever reason it clicked. I do not love it, but I now enjoy it. Although I still dislike the soundtrack.
:D

Don't think it's ever gonna happen for me. Even if I've seen it's on again, I've avoided it. Maybe if I happen upon it by chance. We'll see.

And don't even get me started on Abrams' Star Trek and Star Wars films...

And who doesn't like JJ Abrams Star Trek? I honestly didn't think I would! Wasn't planning to, but did. Star Wars I can understand, but Star Trek? Been curious, ever since I first saw Into Darkness if the "death scene" dialogue was the same as the dialogue from Wrath of Khan. Guess I'll never know.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The new Jungle Book. The casting of Bill Murray as the voice of Baloo was perfect! This movie was very well done and the boy who played Mowgli did an incredible job.

...And who doesn't like JJ Abrams Star Trek?
You'd be surprised. A large percentage of the people who don't like J.J. Abrams version of Star Trek are "die hard" Trek fans who grew up watching the original series and can't stand watching their beloved television series being turned into "popcorn" movies. I've been a Trek fan since the original series premiered 50 years ago; some of it I liked (Star Trek, Enterprise), some of it I didn't (The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager). But I went into J.J.'s Trek knowing it wasn't going to be "your daddy's Star Trek", and found it entertaining enough. I haven't seen Star Trek Beyond yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

...Been curious, ever since I first saw Into Darkness if the "death scene" dialogue was the same as the dialogue from Wrath of Khan. Guess I'll never know.
Almost word-for-word, yes. They did "tweak" it somewhat, but it's essentially been "lifted" almost directly from Wrath of Khan. My guess is that they were hoping most of the people who would see Into Darkness have never seen Wrath of Khan and wouldn't know.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
You'd be surprised. A large percentage of the people who don't like J.J. Abrams version of Star Trek are "die hard" Trek fans who grew up watching the original series and can't stand watching their beloved television series being turned into "popcorn" movies. I've been a Trek fan since the original series premiered 50 years ago; some of it I liked (Star Trek, Enterprise), some of it I didn't (The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager). But I went into J.J.'s Trek knowing it wasn't going to be "your daddy's Star Trek", and found it entertaining enough. I haven't seen Star Trek Beyond yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Almost word-for-word, yes. They did "tweak" it somewhat, but it's essentially been "lifted" almost directly from Wrath of Khan. My guess is that they were hoping most of the people who would see Into Darkness have never seen Wrath of Khan and wouldn't know.

Wasn't around then. Guess I'm dating myself a bit (in my 30's). Didn't see the original series until it started airing along with The Next Generation back when UHF still existed. And THANK YOU! Wasn't willing to suffer through that movie again to hear the dialogue. LOL!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Dr Strange and TOE all fair points. What gets me is not that these are bad movies - "Gravity" certainly isn't and, while I haven't seen "The Revenant," enough people, like you guys, that I respect leave me little doubt that it is, at minimum, a solid, entertaining movie - what gets me is the insane hype-machine that grabs onto one of these slightly "different" or "artsy" or "daring" movies trying to turn them into the next coming of "Citizen Kane."

It's off putting on the surface and, then, for me, sets up silly expectations that destroys my ability to just watch the film. Instead, I keep waiting for the "Moses is parting the ocean" aspect of this "great work" and it never comes. Had I heard nothing about "Gravity," I would have said it was a good, smart little film - well worth seeing. But it, IMHO, was so overshadowed by its hype, that I was disappointed when everything didn't wow me and I didn't reflect on it for days afterwards.

I too get turned off by hype, and have avoided certain films for years because of it, usually at least enjoying them on seeing them well past the initial over reaction.

Watched the Tina Fey..."Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" it was the $1 movie of the week from my cable provider so thought it worth a shot. I (surprisingly) enjoyed it. Not a great movie but a good bit of escape entertainment.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
' Close Range ' (2015)...........it's a movie with Scott Adkins so, minimilist plot, bad acting but excellent fight scenes......there was a shoot out where Adkins was firing an AK47 at a couple of dudes not 3 yards away yet he didn't hit them, even though they were sprayed with bullets.......I'm pretty sure they were using blanks. :D

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Revenant. Beautifully shot movie. I can watch that kind of scenery all day long. Also interested in that trapper life and period. DiCaprio is a great actor, but giving him an Oscar for this role and performance was a stretch. He's deserved it for other movies, but not this one. I didn't find the story very interesting or strong. The CGI wasn't very fluid or convincing, either. It was good enough to take me away for a few hours, but I'll never watch this movie again.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World on TCM. The yardwork is finished and it is time to relax with a all-time favorite.
Such a great cast (minus Merman's screeching) and great fun.
:D

A few years back, I read a book on the Stork Club - a "swanky" NYC nightclub that was in its heyday from the '30s - '50s. The owner, Sherman Billingsley, an outgoing, who'd-you-expect type of guy to own a club had long-running affair with Ethel Merman. I nearly dropped the book reading that - honestly, it is hard to picture anyone having an affair with her, that voice alone would drive me to the Priesthood. But there you have it, there's somebody for everyone.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I got about half way through ' Man from U.N.C.L.E. ' but had to stop as I was falling asleep. I usually like Guy Ritchie movies, even those that other people don't like, but I found this so tedious. Although I was around when the TV series was shown (& I liked it) I think prehaps I'm still a little too young yet to appreciate this film. :D

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
For the record, I was a fan of the TV series in the sixties and I HATED this film.

Full disclosure: I hated Guy Ritchie's earlier films too... but I also thought the film did an especially poor job of honoring the TV show.

Other U.N.C.L.E. fans disagree - I'm sure Benzadmiral will come to the movie's defense, and that's fine - but it simply didn't work for me, not a minute of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points