Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Paddington (2014) I never read any of the books as a kid, so I wasn't really interested in the movie, but glad I watched it!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The Major and the Minor (1942)
Ginger Rogers & Ray Milland.
Two of my favorite stars from the 40s in a cute film.
ivwzuh.jpg

I'd also be checking my eyes
if Su-Su told me she was 12. :D

Edward

Bartender
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - the Potterless Potter spin off. THe first Potterverse film with an all-adult cast, too. I found it better than any of the previous Potter films (which weren't bad, on the whole). It's fairly light in story terms but fun overall. It could probably have been 20 minutes shorter, but it's no Dark Knight endurathon in that respect. THe wardrobe is glorious. here are also some really refreshing, unHollyweood touches - like the lasck of kiss in the end scene. Bravo. We'll be catching the sequels.

"Anthropoid," based on the true story of the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, the number three man in Hitler's Germany.

The movie is good, not great. The story starts with the Czechoslovakian assassins parachuting into to the outskirts of Prague where their plan is to meet up with the Czech Resistance and carry out their mission to assassinate Heydrich.

All the elements are there - dedicated resistance fighters, Czech families willing to risk all for freedom, but, also, turncoats and appeasers, and, of course, evil Nazis - along with the basic plot challenges - putting a plan in place inside a police state, figuring out the weaknesses in Heydrich's security, avoiding exposure, deciding whom to trust - but it also all feels a bit wooden, all a little bit too by the numbers.

The obligatory "flash" love story, in this case, two male assassins falling in love with two of the female resistance fighters (one of whom is probably more beautiful than anyone living under years of brutal Nazi rule and severe rations ever was in real life) didn't feel real or deep, but just added in to have some sex and personal drama.

The period sets, clothes, cars and architecture are fantastic and rich - probably nicer than it was in reality.

And what is it (true to history in this case) with guns failing to fire in high-profile assassination attempts? Once again, we see an assassin have a clear shot at the target and the gun fail. I get that gun technology, especially in the '40s, wasn't perfect, but one assumes the weapon was inspected and cleaned punctiliously before the attempt, but nevertheless, it failed.

While the assassination attempt scene was good drama, the movie really kicks into action gear when the Nazis hunt down the assassins and engage in a bullets and bodies flying everywhere climatic battle in the assassins' church redoubt. Even, this, while technically well done, felt a bit like you've seen it before and the director was just giving you what movies like this are supposed to give audiences.

While it never rises above average, it is an average good WWII resistance story that's worth watching if that is your cup of tea.

Last edited:
I'm taking the afternoon off and am going with the girlfriend to see "Breakfast At Tiffany's" on a real movie screen (as part of some TCM one-day event). I'll report back afterwards, but very excited to see this one in a real movie theater.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Hunters (2013) I thought it was the 1958 version, still not bad. Had no idea there were so many movies with the same title!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points