Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Watched movie marathon of movies that are finally on home release that I'd been meaning to see this past year. I never enjoyed those countdown shows, and really think they're a bore. So, last night I watched "Weiner-Dog," "Captain Fantastic" and "Finding Dory." Weiner-Dog" was really tragic and I sincerely would have balled my eyes out at the end if I was able to stop laughing at how ridiculously over the top it was. "Captain Fantastic" was truly something special, and probably the best picture I've seen all year. Fantastic acting, beautiful scenery, and a charming story really made this one stand out. The top notch soundtrack doesn't hurt the movie either. "Finding Dory" was also really sweet, and a fun movie from beginning to end. I'd suggest all three, but only would suggest "Weiner-Dog" if you're a dog lover who also happens to have a sick sense of humor.

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
Watched movie marathon of movies that are finally on home release that I'd been meaning to see this past year. I never enjoyed those countdown shows, and really think they're a bore. So, last night I watched "Weiner-Dog," "Captain Fantastic" and "Finding Dory." Weiner-Dog" was really tragic and I sincerely would have balled my eyes out at the end if I was able to stop laughing at how ridiculously over the top it was. "Captain Fantastic" was truly something special, and probably the best picture I've seen all year. Fantastic acting, beautiful scenery, and a charming story really made this one stand out. The top notch soundtrack doesn't hurt the movie either. "Finding Dory" was also really sweet, and a fun movie from beginning to end. I'd suggest all three, but only would suggest "Weiner-Dog" if you're a dog lover who also happens to have a sick sense of humor.
I enjoyed Finding Dory much, much more than Finding Nemo!

The Mummy's Ghost (1944). The fourth movie in Universal's original "Mummy" franchise, and the second of three starring Lon Chaney Jr. as Kharis (the mummy). The sequels to Universal's The Mummy (1932) get more ridiculous with each subsequent outing, but they're fun to watch when you're not looking for a serious classic horror movie.

The Big Steal (1949). Army Lieutenant Duke Halliday (Robert Mitchum), accused of robbery, pursues the real thief through Mexico with the aid of the thief's fiancee Joan Graham (Jane Greer). Not quite as good as Out of the Past (1947), but good enough and very enjoyable.

The Hateful Eight (2015). Bounty hunter John Ruth (Kurt Russell) and his prisoner Daisy Domergue (Jennifer Jason Leigh) are forced to take shelter from a blizzard in a Wyoming cabin with seven other people. Co-starring Samuel L. Jackson, Walton Goggins, Demian Bichir, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, James Parks, and an extended cameo by Channing Tatum, at nearly three hours it's an overly-long collection of semi-interesting characters who don't really like each other but are forced to spend two or three days together. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't need to watch it again any time soon.

"A Man Called Ove" a Swedish film (English subtitles) based on a book by the same name.

I enjoyed the book and enjoyed the film (but just a bit less for the usual reasons that the book had more story, character development and lets you build your own imagery).

Lizzie, while it's not about an older, upper-middle-class white woman having a modest life-crisis inside her protected bubble of money, I think your demographic would like it as it is a story-based movie with an older central character going through some tough later-in-life challenges. And it has the pretentious "artsiness" of being "foreign" and with subtitles.

Kidding aside though, it is a solid movie, good story and the smart, half-nuts-in-a-good way, Iranian neighbor woman is an outstanding character who brings Ove - the wanting to die older neighbor - back into a social circle through circumstance and will.

You don't have to knock people out of the way to see this one, but if it pops up sometime, well worth the hour and half.

The Trouble With Harry (1955). Harry's body is lying in the hills above a small town in Vermont, and everyone in town (with the exception of the local authorities, of course) not only seems to know it's there but also has their own ideas about what should be done with it. The "legend" is that Alfred Hitchcock produced this movie as an experiment to see how audiences would react to a non-star-driven movie, and also to see how American audiences would react to humor that was far more subtle than what they were used to. It was ultimately deemed a failure in the U.S., but was rather successful in England, Italy, and France. This was my first viewing, and it's now one of my favorite Hitchcock movies.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
The Trouble With Harry (1955). Harry's body is lying in the hills above a small town in Vermont, and everyone in town (with the exception of the local authorities, of course) not only seems to know it's there but also has their own ideas about what should be done with it. The "legend" is that Alfred Hitchcock produced this movie as an experiment to see how audiences would react to a non-star-driven movie, and also to see how American audiences would react to humor that was far more subtle than what they were used to. It was ultimately deemed a failure in the U.S., but was rather successful in England, Italy, and France. This was my first viewing, and it's now one of my favorite Hitchcock movies.
We like to show this to folks who are unaware of it. Most experience disbelief at the black humor, then express disbelief at how the charm of the characters makes you overlook the darker elements. The French liked it so much that it played for a year and a half.

"The Maltese Falcon"
- I've got to be in the double digit numbers for times I've seen it (or am very close)
- As in "Casablanca," Greenstreet is a wonderful foil to Bogart: their styles, Greenstreet's optimistic bigness and Bogey's thoughtful weariness, play off each other very well
- Amazing that Hollywood made a movie where the leading man could have had the leading lady but sends her to prison instead (a choice I'd have made as well)
- Peter Lorre was either just one really strange guy or was a method actor before it became a "thing."
- The woman to marry in this movie is Bogie's secretary, Effie, I'll take a woman who gets the joke, has a good heart and smarts over manipulative and self-absorbed Mary Astor's character any day. Effie's the keeper...if she'll have you.

Last thought, if I'm Humphrey Bogart, who looks worn out, tired, haggard in '41 - at the age of 42 and less than a decade after he had had a matinee idol appearance - I'm going to be pestering the heck out of Cary Grant for some of that magic elixir that he must have drunk to stay young for three decades.

Last edited:
I just watched Forsaken. The story line is a well traveled path, but I thought it was well done despite the reviews.

It has some great hats, if you are in to classic pistols, you'll get a treat too.
I watched this movie last night. Good performances, beautiful cinematography, and completely predictable. But I can think of worse ways to spend 90 minutes.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Last night I had quadruple feature line up. First was "Sully", which was incredible. You know precisely what's going to happen, but it's edge of your seat the entire time. I especially liked that it added a human face to the disaster, and got you into the mind of Sullenberger and everybody on board that flight. Then I watched "The Conjuring 2", which while packing more scares into it, also sacrificed believability and viewer engagement to get there. The first one didn't use religious motif as a crutch, which is where I think this one is faulted for. It also leaves too little explained, and depends on several du ex machina to wrap up the story. Then I watched "Secret Life of Pets", which while charming and witty, was overly predictable. I don't think it's one of the better animated flicks by this studio. Lastly, I watched "Batman: The Killing Joke". As a fan of the original comic, I was not disappointed. However, they try to pack two stories into one: the end of the Bat-Girl, and thus try to feed it into the second act: The Killing Joke. You could tell where the priorities were with the animators, as the first act's animation isn't all that great. It's worse than the animated series from the 90s, I must say. However, the story was extremely enjoyable for me, so I think it gets a pass.

Last edited:
A Ray Milland double feature last night:

"A Life of Her Own"
- An overly soapy girl-from-the-wrong-side-of-the-tracks-comes-to-NYC-to-make-it-big-in-modeling story that miscast a 29 year old Lana Turner as the 18 year old "girl."
---- Lana already showed too many signs of her real-life success in both age and weight to play a putative dewy faced ingenue.
---- If your entire story pivots off a character being fresher / younger / more radiant than the other models, then cast someone age appropriate
- Ray Milland seemed equally lost in this movie never getting into the role of kinda philanderer finding life again with Turner.

"Close to My Heart"
- Another overly soapy offering, this one about a young couple, Milland and Gene Tierney, trying to adopt a baby
- I have no idea of the history of adoption laws and agencies, but if this movie at all represents reality, it was a holy mess in the early '50s
---- The agencies seemed to play a near God-like roll, while the "off-market" options seemed Wild-West lawless

I like Milland, but would not recommend either of these "tear-jerkers" that generated no tears, but a decent amount of boredom. If it wasn't for Milland and Tierney (Turner I could have done without), some excellent B&W cinematography and cool time-travel period sets, clothes, cars, etc., I'd have cut out of each one early.

Flat out hilarious movie... A MUST for any Saturday Morning viewer of "Kung Fu Theatre".... You should also see "Shaolin Soccer". Great twin bill.

Worf
Hilarious and well done. Great style and cinematography. And a lot of fun. Just a few of the reasons why I have watched it so many times.
As for Shaolin Soccer, I will have to give that one a look. Thank you for the suggestion.
:D

A Ray Milland double feature last night:

"A Life of Her Own"
- An overly soapy girl-from-the-wrong-side-of-the-tracks-comes-to-NYC-to-make-it-big-in-modeling story that miscast a 29 year old Lana Turner as the 18 year old "girl."
---- Lana already showed too many signs of her real-life success in both age and weight to play a putative dewy faced ingenue.
---- If your entire story pivots off a character being fresher / younger / more radiant than the other models, then cast someone age appropriate
- Ray Milland seemed equally lost in this movie never getting into the role of kinda philanderer finding life again with Turner.

"Close to My Heart"
- Another overly soapy offering, this one about a young couple, Milland and Gene Tierney, trying to adopt a baby
- I have no idea of the history of adoption laws and agencies, but if this movie at all represents reality, it was a holy mess in the early '50s
---- The agencies seemed to play a near God-like roll, while the "off-market" options seemed Wild-West lawless

I like Milland, but would not recommend either of these "tear-jerkers" that generated no tears, but a decent amount of boredom. If it wasn't for Milland and Tierney (Turner I could have done without), some excellent B&W cinematography and cool time-travel period sets, clothes, cars, etc., I'd have cut out of each one early.
All on TCM? It was a Day of Milland on TCM which I had on as I was tooling/puttering about yesterday.

All on TCM? It was a Day of Milland on TCM which I had on as I was tooling/puttering about yesterday.

Exactly - all TCM.

Wanted to see "Irene" but forgot to record that one.

I really enjoy him as an actor, but will admit he doesn't have that many really great movies.

"The Uninvited," "Dial M for Murder" and "The Lost Weekend" are may favorites of his and I do love that he pops up later in life as Oliver Barrett III in silly "Love Story."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112