• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Amy Jeanne, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Julian Shellhammer

Julian Shellhammer One of the Regulars

In the theatre, Rogue One, which we all really liked. Director Gareth Edwards' visual style makes everything look as though it was filmed on location. Without letting a spoiler slip by, Governor Tarkin is a must-see.
    At home, You Can't Take it with You. The Missus had never seen it and it was about 40 years since I last saw it. James Stewart was 30 at the time, but looks (and acts) like a sophomore at State U. Edward Arnold and Lionel Barrymore on screen at the same time can be overwhelming.

2. Holiday Inn of course.

3. New Years Eve is TCM night for us, so we watched (from the DVR)

"When Ladies Meet" the 1933 version with Robert Montgomery, Myrna Loy, Ann Harding and Frank Morgan.
    - Solid pre-code that's vey "talky" but reflects a sophistication with a modern morality that makes pre-codes so special
    --- Myrna Loy would rather pursue her career than marry
    --- Ann Harding knows her husband is a cheat, but is willing to put up with it to keep the family together (might sound like she's weak, but in truth, she's presented as a strong woman who knows she's made a mistake and is just trying to make the best of something bad)
    --- Robert Montgomery is seen by the two female leads as a good guy but lacking their depth of understanding of life - this is a women-are-smarter-than-men world.

But where the move really shines is in its in-depth analysis of an affair, on how it impacts the wife of the man that is cheating and how the mistress feels toward the wife and breaking up a family with children involved. What happens is less important than the nuanced and opposing views presented thoughtfully and passionately. This is never done once the code was enforced and male-female roles clearly defined with the institution of marriage the goal and ideal for all.

It is incredibly refreshing to see that, in 1933, society had all the same challenges we have today and frustrating to know that just one year later, with the enforcement of the code, movies like this wouldn't be made. Adding to the modern feel, nothing is wrapped-up nicely - it starts, stays and ends messy - much like real life.

Despite being made when the country was deep in the depression, everyone in this movie is wealthy - yacht parties, NYC townhouses, big beautiful cars, country houses, staff, etc. Clearly - as the studios wanted to make money - the public embraced escapism at the movies versus being angry at seeing a world that was far out of its reach.

Our second movie of the night was

"The Man Who Came to Dinner" There is no doubt this is Monty Woolley's movie - and he embraces it with gusto, but his overbearing bravado needs a foil and grounding and finds the perfect offset in steadfast Bettie Davis' character. Davis is an actress - full stop. Her play-it-straight, dry wit centers and controls a movie that could have blundered into camp (with an appearance by Jimmy Durante horribly upping the camp factor).

From one perspective, this movie is really Davis' character's story as she grows from being the competent, leaning-toward-spinsterhood secretary to an in-love and going-to-get-her man, but in a competent way, woman. A lot of hoopla and high jinx happen along the way, but Davis playing off Woolley is the core.

As an aside, Ann Sheridan shows up clearly and aggressively not wearing a bra and the camera makes sure you don't miss it - very pre-code attire in a code-era movie. Also, like all but Davis, Sheridan plays this one a little bit in the camp mode, but the movie still works. And from a time travel perspective, the name dropping - Schiaparelli, Disney, H.G. Wells and more - is fun as these weren't historical but contemporary news-making names at the time.

A big mess of a movie, but still a ton of fun saved by Wolley's full-on delivery and Davis' steading influence.

4. A day of Hitchcock on TCM
    Family Plot
    Psycho
    Marnie
    The Birds
    Vertigo
    Rear Window
    Shadow of a Doubt
    The Man Who Knew Too Much
    and
    The Trouble with Harry
    A funny/curious way to bring in the New Year by TCM.
    :D

Vera Godfrey likes this.
  5. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange My Mail is Forwarded Here

The Immigrant, a recent indie flick with Marion Cotillard as a Polish woman who comes to NYC in 1921. Nice looking, but it doesn't amount to much. And it all felt like it took place in the backgrounds of the Ellis Island and Little Italy flashbacks of The Godfather, Part II.

6. basbol13

basbol13 One of the Regulars

I have looked forever to find a released copy on DVD, but have so far not found one. The copy I made I did a pretty good job on as I figured this was going to be a cult film if they ever got around to streaming it , but I won't hold my breath. I occasionally watch it just to see the old guys when they were young. I wish the younger generation had a chance to see this flick just to see how it was for bands like the Rolling Stones, The Who and the Beatles started and where they originated from.
    As for the the early Dr. Who, what an experience. I love to watch the FX of early Cinema and TV. I remember Flash Gordon (Buster Crabb) on early Sunday morning TV, Dark Shadows when I got home from school, simplicity, a time when imagination came from within and not without.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  7. Vera Godfrey

Vera Godfrey Practically Family

That's what I'm watching :) Currently up is Psycho. Debating if I'm going to stay up to watch Shadow of a Doubt (my favorite!)

Touchofevil likes this.
  8. We watched that as well. Currently watching Marnie. Don't know if I/we will watch the rest of the lineup as we/I have seen all them rather recently. Rear Window is possibly my favorite Hitchcock, but I have put the Lady of the House through this one way too many times.

9. Vera Godfrey

Watching Marnie now, too :) Don't know that I'll watch The Birds, but I'll probably make it through Vertigo and Rear Window!

Touchofevil likes this.
  10. Good! The Birds has moved up my list of Hitchcock favorites with recent viewings. My family used to travel to Bodega Bay when I was a kid which is probably part of why it has moved up the list. Enjoy!

11. Bushman

Bushman One Too Many

Watched movie marathon of movies that are finally on home release that I'd been meaning to see this past year. I never enjoyed those countdown shows, and really think they're a bore. So, last night I watched "Weiner-Dog," "Captain Fantastic" and "Finding Dory." Weiner-Dog" was really tragic and I sincerely would have balled my eyes out at the end if I was able to stop laughing at how ridiculously over the top it was. "Captain Fantastic" was truly something special, and probably the best picture I've seen all year. Fantastic acting, beautiful scenery, and a charming story really made this one stand out. The top notch soundtrack doesn't hurt the movie either. "Finding Dory" was also really sweet, and a fun movie from beginning to end. I'd suggest all three, but only would suggest "Weiner-Dog" if you're a dog lover who also happens to have a sick sense of humor.

12. Vera Godfrey

I enjoyed Finding Dory much, much more than Finding Nemo!

13. The Mummy's Ghost (1944). The fourth movie in Universal's original "Mummy" franchise, and the second of three starring Lon Chaney Jr. as Kharis (the mummy). The sequels to Universal's The Mummy (1932) get more ridiculous with each subsequent outing, but they're fun to watch when you're not looking for a serious classic horror movie.

The Big Steal (1949). Army Lieutenant Duke Halliday (Robert Mitchum), accused of robbery, pursues the real thief through Mexico with the aid of the thief's fiancee Joan Graham (Jane Greer). Not quite as good as Out of the Past (1947), but good enough and very enjoyable.

The Hateful Eight (2015). Bounty hunter John Ruth (Kurt Russell) and his prisoner Daisy Domergue (Jennifer Jason Leigh) are forced to take shelter from a blizzard in a Wyoming cabin with seven other people. Co-starring Samuel L. Jackson, Walton Goggins, Demian Bichir, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, James Parks, and an extended cameo by Channing Tatum, at nearly three hours it's an overly-long collection of semi-interesting characters who don't really like each other but are forced to spend two or three days together. I'm glad I saw it, but I don't need to watch it again any time soon.

14. "A Man Called Ove" a Swedish film (English subtitles) based on a book by the same name.

I enjoyed the book and enjoyed the film (but just a bit less for the usual reasons that the book had more story, character development and lets you build your own imagery).

Lizzie, while it's not about an older, upper-middle-class white woman having a modest life-crisis inside her protected bubble of money, I think your demographic would like it as it is a story-based movie with an older central character going through some tough later-in-life challenges. And it has the pretentious "artsiness" of being "foreign" and with subtitles.

Kidding aside though, it is a solid movie, good story and the smart, half-nuts-in-a-good way, Iranian neighbor woman is an outstanding character who brings Ove - the wanting to die older neighbor - back into a social circle through circumstance and will.

You don't have to knock people out of the way to see this one, but if it pops up sometime, well worth the hour and half.

15. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

16. The Trouble With Harry (1955). Harry's body is lying in the hills above a small town in Vermont, and everyone in town (with the exception of the local authorities, of course) not only seems to know it's there but also has their own ideas about what should be done with it. The "legend" is that Alfred Hitchcock produced this movie as an experiment to see how audiences would react to a non-star-driven movie, and also to see how American audiences would react to humor that was far more subtle than what they were used to. It was ultimately deemed a failure in the U.S., but was rather successful in England, Italy, and France. This was my first viewing, and it's now one of my favorite Hitchcock movies.

17. Julian Shellhammer

Julian Shellhammer One of the Regulars

We like to show this to folks who are unaware of it. Most experience disbelief at the black humor, then express disbelief at how the charm of the characters makes you overlook the darker elements. The French liked it so much that it played for a year and a half.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  18. The Jungle Book

The original animated version.
    Love Loius Prima.

Zombie_61 and EstherWeis like this.
  19. "The Maltese Falcon"
    - I've got to be in the double digit numbers for times I've seen it (or am very close)
    - As in "Casablanca," Greenstreet is a wonderful foil to Bogart: their styles, Greenstreet's optimistic bigness and Bogey's thoughtful weariness, play off each other very well
    - Amazing that Hollywood made a movie where the leading man could have had the leading lady but sends her to prison instead (a choice I'd have made as well)
    - Peter Lorre was either just one really strange guy or was a method actor before it became a "thing."
    - The woman to marry in this movie is Bogie's secretary, Effie, I'll take a woman who gets the joke, has a good heart and smarts over manipulative and self-absorbed Mary Astor's character any day. Effie's the keeper...if she'll have you.

Last thought, if I'm Humphrey Bogart, who looks worn out, tired, haggard in '41 - at the age of 42 and less than a decade after he had had a matinee idol appearance - I'm going to be pestering the heck out of Cary Grant for some of that magic elixir that he must have drunk to stay young for three decades.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Touchofevil and Zombie_61 like this.
  20. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

Dunkirk - John Mills