• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Amy Jeanne, Aug 5, 2007.

1. I prefer SGF to not know I'm completely insane, so I didn't watch it again so close to just having seen it. Early on in our relationship, when I was watching "The Godfather" for the third or fourth time in so many weeks (some channel was running it a bunch), she seemed a bit discomfited - as if she discovered something amiss in the usually smooth running engine of her Jaguar. At that point, I kinda dialed back my old-movie obsession just a bit and have never fully moved the dial back to where it started.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. Redshoes51

Redshoes51 One of the Regulars

I've seen this... and it is magnificent. I've been aware of 'The Wrecking Crew' for sometime and their body of work... especially that of Carol Kaye... she has been a monster as far as bass guitar goes... having been a frustrated bassist for many years, I followed her work and technique for years.

There is another great documentary available called "Muscle Shoals," I believe... it's about 'The Swampers' and the body of work that was turned out in that northwest Alabama town down through the years. These guys provided the musical backing for Aretha Franklin, Paul Simon, The Rolling Stones... and many many other acts whose names simply escape me right now. I would highly recommend it as well.

~shoes~

3. Yes, the Muscle Shoals documentary is excellent as well (maybe even better as it gave the music a bit more focus).

Redshoes51 likes this.
  4. Maltese Falcon is not perfect like I thought! :mad:

Spade & Archer's detective agency was supposed to be at 111 Sutter at
    Montgomery Street in San Francisco but the scene was shot in L.A.
    [​IMG]

I moved the bridge back just a tad. Although it's still too close.
    The one in the film is way too close to the windows.

(Staying at home with nagging cold & too much time or Advil
    makes me cranky... but still love the old buildings of the period.)

5. TimeWarpWife

TimeWarpWife One of the Regulars

A few years ago I saw an interview with Grant's ex-wife Betsy Drake and she claims he was an amorous heterosexual and they were - and I quote - "*profane expletive* all the time." I have seen the photos of Grant and Scott during the time they lived together and frankly I thought, to borrow from you LizzieMaine, that "the subtext was screaming" something altogether different than what Ms. Drake claims.

LizzieMaine likes this.
  6. In the '30s, "AC/DC" didn't just mean a kind of radio.

Touchofevil likes this.
  7. I was already aware of Carol Kaye's career for a while too; this film was on my to-see list for years. Thanks, I'll have to check out the Muscle Shoals film. Another worthwhile documentary in this mini-genre is Standing in the Shadow of Motown.

Redshoes51 likes this.
  8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BobHufford likes this.
  9. I gave up on that long ago.
    :D

Fading Fast likes this.
  10. BobHufford

BobHufford My Mail is Forwarded Here

Also 20 Feet From Stardom. http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2396566/

Worf likes this.
  11. DNO

DNO One Too Many

Just re-watched "We're No Angels" with Bogart, Ustinov and Aldo Ray....it's even got Leo Carroll and Basil Rathbone. One of my favourites, I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who's ever seen this delightful movie!

12. Saw this and reviewed it (I think) last year. Fascinating time capsule. I found Glenn Campbell interesting in that he was a studio musician that couldn't read a note. As a bass player I've some problems with Ms. Kaye. I acknowledge a great deal of her work out in L.A. however she also claims that she was a crucial member of "The Funk Brothers" Motown's famed backing musicians. She takes credit for playing on many Motown standards and claims she was never recognized because she was a white woman. She has NEVER produced one shred of evidence... (pay check, original sheet music etc..) to substantiate her claim. I find it amazing that the Wrecking Crew's demise was bands learning to play their own instruments.

Worf

13. "Atlantis - The Lost Continent" - Enjoyable tripe with special effects by George Pal. I cracked up as all the crowd scenes were glomed from other "Big Budget" gladiator films.

Worf

14. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Why does Hollywood rip off good names instead of creating them from scratch? The Wrecking Crew, was the title that went to Harley Davidson, Indian, Excelsior and other motorcycle teams, depending on which team won that year. Over 100mph, no brakes, no throttle, on tracks made of boards set at up to 60 degree banking. Wearing leather helmets, and sweater, incredible. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. I regularly lose myself in the old architecture and other period details when watching these old movies to the point that I forget the story is going on. Also, I'll rewind and freeze on a building or a clock or radio or something. Thankfully, my girlfriend is equally into this stuff or I'm sure I'd drive her nuts doing that.

I hope you feel better soon.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  16. Thanks...I'm feeling better!

As far as movies, I usually "lose" myself in favorite films that I have watched many times .

Big Sleep (1946)

Scene:
    Bogie finds naughty sister who has passed out on the sofa and takes her home.
    (Notice Bogie looks at the camera after he looks at the sister.)

Same scene according 2jakes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Zombie_61 and BobHufford like this.
  17. ⇧ well done.

That said, I'm never sure there is another scene in that movie other than the bookstore one.

Glad you are feeling better.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  18. Last night I ploughed through 'Anne of the Thousand Days' with Genevieve Bujold and Richard Burton amongst others. A quite good film from 1970 all about Anne Boleyn and Henry V111. A sordid story really.!

19. swanson_eyes

swanson_eyes Practically Family

Tonight or Never. Nothing Gloria did will compare to Sadie Thompson in my view, but I do like watching her. She did have a face, even in the talkies.