• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Amy Jeanne, Aug 5, 2007.

1. ⇧ I plan to give more of them a shot. Crosby is the reason for me - as you said, cooler than Frank ever was.

That said, in "Road to Singapore," I thought Dorothy Lamour was a surprise upside. Yes, good looking, yes, (what's the word, oh yea) smokin' body, but what really made her enjoyable was that she handled her part - as the sometime straight guy / sometime the one saying "these guys are idiots" but in a nice way - really well.

Having never paid these movies much attention, I thought she added a lot of chemistry and glue that helped keep, at least, "RTS" from losing its way (at least in the half I saw).

2. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

Now I'm anxious to see one of those pictures. I've seen bits of one or two but never a whole movie and it sounds like I'm missing something. I especially enjoyed Bing in Holiday Inn and White Christmas.

I think there was more affection between Hope and Crosby than people like to admit. After Crosby's death, when people were saying bad things about him, Bob Hope said in so many words, that some people are so low as to criticize someone after they've died.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  3. If you enjoy Bing as an actor (and the two movies you mentioned are fun ones - "Holiday Inn," in particular) then I recommend a few more. For cool, good guy Bing, "Going My Way" is the one to see. For Bing is a real actor "The Country Girl" shows he had true acting chops. And for Bing as "cooler than Frank" - "High Society."

4. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

I would judge no actor or actress beyond what they do on the screen or on stage, lest someone feels like judging me, too.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. I really enjoy Crosby's body of work - his music and his acting. Of course, I heard all the stuff that was said after he died and some book came out and I heard some of the rebuttals, but chose to try to ignore it as I was and still am worn out by it all.

You never feel like you are really getting a true story as everything has a counterpoint and advocates for both sides. After awhile, you don't care because you can't care - was Elvis mean to his wife / Gleason spiteful to his / Hitchcock lecherous / Crawford abusive (that one is not hard to believe as she always scared me a bit on screen - but who knows)?

Sure, I could read enough, cross check it and try to separate out fact from fiction, but to what end? I have a life (at least I say I do) and it just isn't worth the effort. I personally wish actors would stop putting their private lives and political views out there as I just want to enjoy their work and not have nagging thoughts about this one being a cheater or that one a political nutcase, etc., when watching their movies or hearing their songs.

6. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

You're at least a hundred years too late. Actors and actresses have always been public figures, which is one reason most of them are in the business, and believe me, there's nothing quite like being on stage doing something in front of a live audience. But they have just as much right as anyone to be involved in civic life as anyone else and if that weren't true, we wouldn't have had Ronald Reagan as president. But their private lives have also been the subject of gossip, just like the single lady down the street that always seems to have a lot of cars in front of her house.

7. Quite a few crooners were dinks. I don't know if that's just something that goes with the territory or what, but it's true. Rudy Vallee was a champion-level skirt-chaser and an obsessive control-freak; Dick Haymes escaped the WWII draft by claiming to be an Argentinian; even if the stuff about Crosby beating his kids wasn't true, he was hardly a model parent, and everybody knows about Sinatra.

The only crooners I can think of offhand who I'd want to know personally were Perry Como, who by every account was a genuinely nice guy, and Russ Columbo, whose only sin was not checking to see if the gun was loaded before handing it to his pal.

8. Only from "hearsay," and despite his public image, I thought Dean Martin sounded like an all-around nice guy and responsible family man (but again, this is not an informed opinion).

9. Oh yes, I realize my wish is a pipe dream. And, I agree, they are entitled to speak their minds like everyone else. Their work just happens to give them a much bigger microphone.

10. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

Although I've met a few significant, if not exactly famous, people, I'd be out of my element actually meeting a real celebrity. Still, I think I'd get something out of meeting Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay. Chris attended both high school and college with one of my wife's cousins and Chris even flew overseas to Serbia for my wife's cousin's wedding. He may have even been his best man. And that isn't even seven degrees of separation.

I enjoyed everything Dean Martin ever did. He was a family man and he was devastated by the death of his son in an Air Force training accident.

11. 'Hunt For The Wilderpeople' (2016)....nothing original but good acting, good dialogue, corrosive humor & to top it all, we get to see some Kiwi bush. Over all good fun & a happy ending which just about manages to avoid the syrupy sentimentalism that usually spoils this genre of movie.

12. green papaya

green papaya Practically Family

2017-01-11_121050.jpg

CAPTAINS COURAGEOUS with Spencer Tracy , Freddie Bartholomew , Mickey Rooney

A wealthy spoiled brat falls off an ocean liner and is rescued by a Portuguese fisherman. Forced to endure a three month voyage, he learns to love the sea and earns his place among the crew. Based on the Rudyard Kipling story, this is a timeless family adventure classic.

13. That seems to be the general consensus among the "Road Picture" fans. When I told my friend, who is one of those fans, that I was going to give the Road pictures another chance, his advice was, "Don't bother with The Road to Hong Kong. It was made 10 years after their last Road picture, and by then they were getting too old to play those characters. It's like watching one of the Three Stooges movies with Joe DeRita." :D

14. There were plans, in the mid-'70s, to do one more -- "The Road To The Fountain of Youth" -- but Crosby had the good sense to pass away before it could be made.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  15. By that point, they were more like...

upload_2017-1-11_22-18-49.png

LizzieMaine and Zombie_61 like this.
  16. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

Penny Serenade. Goodness. Not exactly the film you want to watch when you've had a crappy day. That's not to say it wasn't good because it was - I enjoy Irene Dunn and Cary Grant together. But it's most certainly not like My Favorite Wife.

17. ' Risen' (2016).....A very low budget Maximus Meridius goes looking for the plump resurrected Christ. Biblical movies are dire at the best of times but this film is beyond bad.. Difficult to believe that Kevin Reynolds was behind the camera.

18. BlueTrain

BlueTrain One Too Many

I enjoyed the Three Stooges with Joe DeRita, not every single part and yes, they were getting on in years, too. But plenty of people didn't like them when they were younger, either. Part of the reason I like them now, to be honest about it, is because I saw them when they were new. There are other things that make them enjoyable for me, too, besides the Stooges themselves. There are lots of old movies I enjoy watching that wouldn't even have been reviewed by a movie critic back then.

19. So much of their brand of comedy in their prime was purely physical, and of course even with the verbal give & take, timing is everything in comedy. As they aged, the Stooges- and the Marx Brothers- could never retain that outrageous edge that marked them in their prime. It was always kind of sad to watch- like watching a former champ boxer take the ring only to get pummeled by a third tier newcomer.

And the Stooges always had to deal with the fact that anyone who came later was always compared to Curly .... and that really wasn't fair. Jerome Lester Horwitz was one of the definitive comic geniuses of the 20th Century: he reigned in his own manchild universe and the rest of us- the other Stooges, the cast members, and even we in the audience- were mere invitees. When he suffered his stroke, a great light was extinguished: the act would never be the same. Shemp was a successful artist in his own right: the original third stooge who came back from a successful solo career yet always had to live in Curly's shadow. That isn't fair, obviously, and it gave both Besser and DeRita two strikes before even stepping up to the plate.

You're right in saying that even in their prime many disliked them. The old joke is that the main difference between men and women is that the former are more likely to appreciate the Three Stooges. A lot of exceptions to that stereotype, as we know, but their brand of slapstick was too manic for many.

20. It's not a light movie, for sure. Grant and Dunn, as you said, are the key. They are such pros that they just pull everything along and raise this sad soaper up a few notches. Good movie, but I tend not to watch it as I don't need movies to help make me sad.

AmateisGal likes this.