Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Fatty And Mabel Adrift. Poor Mable Normand, she is all but forgotten today! As for Fatty, he kind of reminds me of Charlie Sheen! Not just for his off screen party's, but his acting also. Pretty funny, but his supporting cast is even funnier!

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
Agreed. Hail, Caesar! isn't a class-A Coen Bros. film. But even a class-B Coen Bros. film is a rare delight. The parts that work are brilliant, the parts that don't are easy to ignore, and it's simply gorgeous to look at.

I was pretty disappointed when I saw it in theaters last winter, but I recently gave it a second watch on cable and liked it more. Not a brilliantly cohesive masterpiece like their best films, but it's got plenty of that unique Coen goodness.
I loved Hail, Caesar! from the first time I saw it. I find it to be a wonderfully irreverent love letter to old Hollywood.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Tarnished Angels (1957) You have to hand it to Rock when it came to loyalty! He had just finished Giant, and was a super star, when Douglas Sirk asked him not to star in, but to costar with Robert Stack. He had worked with most of the stars in the movie, so he must have felt he owed them! This is another one I first saw on Dialing For Dollers.

The Tarnished Angels (1957) You have to hand it to Rock when it came to loyalty! He had just finished Giant, and was a super star, when Douglas Sirk asked him not to star in, but to costar with Robert Stack. He had worked with most of the stars in the movie, so he must have felt he owed them! This is another one I first saw on Dialing For Dollers.

How did I miss this movie all these years? My life is devoid of real meaning and importance; therefor, I have no excuse for having missed seeing it at some point.

And you can tell, by 1957, the times they were a changin' as that trailer is a perfect transition from a code-enforced world to the freewheeling world of the later '60s movies. Also, after her en fuego scene in "The Big Sleep" with Bogart, I knew that Malone women would always be "trouble" :).

TCM is showing it on April 14, I already signed up for the calendar reminder.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
' Young Ones ' (2014) .... I really tried to like this movie, the synopsis sounded interesting, the acting & cinematography were great but it was slow & repetitive & I'm not sure what the message was supposed to be.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
A Kurosawa film from 1970 I'd never seen, Dodes'ka-den. About a bunch of poor oddballs living in a dump on the outskirts of a large city: it reminded me of Tortilla Flat or Cannery Row. As in those Steinbeck books, the range of lowlife characters reflect many different stories, and all are treated with respect. The title comes from a mentally challenged young man who lives in a elaborate fantasy of being a streetcar conductor: all day long he moves back and forth on a long "track" (a narrow path between the garbage) driving the streetcar, making the sound effect of rattling over the tracks: "Dodes'ka-den! Dodes'ka-den! Dodes'ka-den!"

Apparently the film was such a flop that Kurosawa attempted suicide afterwards. He was being too hard on himself, it's no masterpiece, but it is definitely a unique, interesting flick.

Last edited:
I caught about thirty minutes of "Woman Against Woman" on TCM last night and now can't wait to see the movie in its entirety. It's a '38 soap opera where Herbert Marshall is a wealthy businessman who divorces and re-marries. But because he had a daughter with his first wife, she stays in his life. Also, all of them seem to live in one of these "social" communities where "the club" is the center of it and both his old and new wife are fighting for their position.

Mary Astor plays the shrew ex-wife and Virginia Bruce the glowing, blond, fresh and new wife. Astor - who seems like she was a good egg in a real life (and she didn't have it easy) - plays cold, manipulative women very well (think "The Maltese Falcon") and is a wonderful foil for seraphic Bruce and put-upon Marshall. That's all I got out of my thirty minutes, but I'll keep an eye out for it again.

What fascinates me is that these movies about the problems of the very sliver of society that was very well off - their homes, clothes, cars, furnishings are all luxurious - were made (and presumably did well since so many of them were made) during the depression.

If they were still alive, I would love to ask my barely-made-it-through-the-depression father and grandmother (both dead now) what they thought of these movies about the rich and well-fed at the time. My grandmother was a huge movie fan and, I assume, scraped together the money to see a movie now and then in the depression.

The depression was the leitmotif of my childhood as it was the dominant theme of my father and grandmother's life untill they died. Knowing their pragmatism, their Yankee thrift, their respect for frugality, I find it hard to see them going to these movies in the depression as "escapism" and worrying along with the quite-wealthy Herbert Marshall if his new wife will be "accepted" at the club and by his society friends.

But as noted, movies about the well-to-do were quite common all throughout the depression, so I assume many of those struggling, like my family, went to see them.

Road to Singapore (1940). The first of the "Road" pictures starring Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. As I mentioned in another thread I've never really been a fan, but I enjoyed this one. I think it's because this being the first of the series Crosby and Hope were perhaps a little more reserved and not quite as obnoxious with the "in" jokes.

Road to Zanzibar (1941). The second "Road" picture. I liked it, but not quite as much as I liked Singapore. The plot, such as it is, seemed to be nothing more than a device to string all of the verbal and physical humor together. As such, to me it seemed this was a bit of a rushed effort to cash in on the success of Singapore.

Road to Singapore (1940). The first of the "Road" pictures starring Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. As I mentioned in another thread I've never really been a fan, but I enjoyed this one. I think it's because this being the first of the series Crosby and Hope were perhaps a little more reserved and not quite as obnoxious with the "in" jokes.

Road to Zanzibar (1941). The second "Road" picture. I liked it, but not quite as much as I liked Singapore. The plot, such as it is, seemed to be nothing more than a device to string all of the verbal and physical humor together. As such, to me it seemed this was a bit of a rushed effort to cash in on the success of Singapore.

I hear ya, I'm neither there nor not there on these yet. I watched "Road to Singapore" the other day and it is the first one of these I've watched in full in decades. There's some good stuff in them, but it's tucked around too-much shtick for me.

I am sorry to have to embarrass you in public like this, but you did fail to mention the one clear positive these films have: Dorothy Lamour...usually not overdressed.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Quentin Durward, the third of a trio of 50s M-G-M swashbucklers filmed in England starring Robert Taylor, directed by Richard Thorpe.

The previous films are Ivanhoe (1952, 4 stars) and Knights of the Round Table (1953, 2 stars). This one was made in 1955, and I'd rate it at 2-1/2 stars. I can't speak to the adaptation, never having read the source novel by Sir Walter Scott, but judging by the Wiki article on the book, it's VERY loose. And it's a classic mid-50s counter-TV movie - widescreen and color, full of flashy exteriors of real castles, an "exotic" gypsy camp with colorful dancing girls, lots of military pageantry, etc. But it's not a good film. The actors have minimal chemistry, and it's crammed with wooden performances and not-exciting action sequences.

Recommended for historical value only. Stick with Ivanhoe!

Last edited:
Watched an Israeli produced movie about a Jordanian Arab family,"Sand Storm"....great movie. Simply made, emotionally congruent, a movie that allows so much space for the viewer to form an opinion. The next night watched a vanity project by Thomas Hayden Church...."Cardboard Boxer". What a terrible movie. Contrived, poorly acted, poorly directed and emotionally manipulative. How this one ever survived the edit room is a mystery.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Family movie night saw us watch our girls' much anticipated viewing - Pete's Dragon (new one), with Bryce Dallas Howard, at my wife's insistence.

Good film, better than I expected, and caused our girls to break into violent tears, because the dragon is mistreated, and resembles a dog.

Daddy gets to pick the film from now on...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Batman - Year One" - Another animated WB take on the Batman mythos this covers his first year as "The Dark Knight". His successes and failures, his war with the Gotham P.D. are all covered in detail. Bryan Cranston is great as the voice of Jim Gordon, but the actor doing Wayne/Batman... errrr sucks. Equally focused on Gordon as Batman, kinda like "Gotham". Well done but I prefer the graphic novel.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto