Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

The Maltese Falcon in my Denver hotel room yesterday. :D

I always feel "at home" if I have TCM playing, no matter where I'm at!

There's something so true about this. I genuinely feel more comfortable if I can turn TCM on when I'm traveling - it's like being with a good friend or something.

There's a pub near us that has a few TVs (not too obnoxious about it, smaller, unobtrusive flat-panels) that will put TCM on one of them sometimes if there aren't a bunch of "must-see" sporting events on. I usually can't hear it, but find just seeing the gorgeous black-and-white images going by relaxes me.

And my girlfriend and I have had so much fun trying to identify the movie or actor or (in one we're very familiar with) the next scene, etc. And yes, I am not at all proud of myself that I find that entertaining, but I do.

RE "Feud"

If Betty Davis and Joan Crawford were really as horrible to work with as this portrays them (Crawford comes off worse, but now we're discussing circles of hell), then director Robert Aldrich should have shot them both and taken his chances in a courtroom.

If I was on the jury, I'd have voted to acquit.

green papaya

One Too Many
TO CATCH A THIEF starring Cary Grant & Grace Kelly

When a reformed jewel thief is suspected of returning to his former occupation, he must ferret out the real thief in order to prove his innocence.

To Catch a Thief (1955) - locations. To Catch a Thief (1955) was primarily filmed on location in the south of France, predominately in Cannes, Nice and the surrounding countryside.

a very colorful and enjoyable movie, just for the filming locations alone.

tocatchathief_022.jpg

"Comrade X"
  • Anti-Soviet propaganda - clearly just before we "teamed up" with Russia for WWII
    • Nice to see the good old USSR being called out for being the murderous dictatorship that it was as it always gets too much of a free pass because, in part, it was hard to compete for the trophy of evilest state with the Nazis running a murder machine masquerading as a state almost next door
  • There is no story - well, there is, but it's as if they made it up as they went along
  • But it doesn't matter, the movie is simply Gable and Hedy Lamarr looking great and cracking a surprising number of good one liners inside a brutally stupid story
  • And kudos go out to Eve Arden for being the only other spark in the movie
  • Since it was made (according to IMDB) a year after "Ninotchka," I assume it was a copycat movie, but sometimes crazy coincidences happen
  • Heddy Lamarr has an almost untouchable beauty
    • I'll still give Grace Kelly the nod for the 20th Century's most beautiful woman, but Lamarr is no runner up

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab

When a reformed jewel thief is suspected of returning to his former occupation, he must ferret out the real thief in order to prove his innocence.

To Catch a Thief (1955) - locations. To Catch a Thief (1955) was primarily filmed on location in the south of France, predominately in Cannes, Nice and the surrounding countryside.

View attachment 70316
I have to wonder if this film -- the title and general concept, now, not Grant and Grace Kelly or their relationship -- inspired the TV series It Takes a Thief, with Robert Wagner. I imagine the show's creator, Roland Kibbee, nodding in an armchair while To Catch a Thief is on during the Late Show. "To catch a thief . . . catch . . . it takes one to know one . . . it takes a thief . . ." [Sitting bolt upright] "That's it! 'It Takes a Thief'!!!"

"Eddie and the Cruisers"
  • There are a lot of movies - and books - like this: neat premise, decent early execution and, then, a seeming inability to complete the story arc and conflict results in a silly deus ex machina that all but ruins the movie / book
  • I thought throughout about Lizzie's comments on nostalgia waves as this was a 1983 movie running on a reminiscence of a very early sixties (pre-British Invasion) rock 'n' roll vibe
    • Looking at it from 2017, the present day '83 of the movie is farther away from now than the early sixties were from the then early eighties (a convoluted way of saying that for us today, this is farther away nostalgia wrapped around even farther away nostalgia)
  • Smoking was still pretty darn common in '83 as there was plenty of going on (and it played no part in the movie, it just was)
  • Powerful scene of class consciousness at the college - nice that the "working class" guy wasn't a pure hero nor the "college guy" a pure jerk - life is rarely black and white and good to see that the movie didn't just play to the stereotypes

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Ingmar Bergman's Through A Glass Darkly, DVR'd from TCM. Not a favorite - I really prefer Bergman's more formal fifties films to his more experimental sixties films - but beautifully photographed and acted. A downbeat chamber piece about four characters fighting through family dysfunction and mental illness - the kind of "depressing" Bergman film that his detractors think represents his entire output, which is NOT the case.

Not recommended unless you're already something of a Bergman fan.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 70316

I love this one, too. The costumes are gorgeous, especially during the party scene at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk