Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
As you said, adequate propaganda film, but if memory serves, there was zilch chemistry between them.

Yeah, Wayne and Crawford didn't have much going between them, although it did kind of fit the script because she didn't have any interest in him, being in love with Philip Dorn.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Last night, The Fighting Sullivans was on TCM. I know the story of the Sullivan brothers, of course, and knew about the movie, but had not been able to watch it yet.

I loved it. Such a great film, showcasing the strong bond between the brothers from childhood through adulthood. Knowing what was going to happen to them in the end didn't lessen my enjoyment of it at all. But as a mother...I cannot imagine how Alleta Sullivan must have felt knowing she lost all 5 of her boys in the war. I know she and her husband and daughter went to many war bond drives and threw themselves into the war effort, and that makes me admire her all the more. I think I would have gone insane from grief.

green papaya

One Too Many
Last night, The Fighting Sullivans was on TCM. I know the story of the Sullivan brothers, of course, and knew about the movie, but had not been able to watch it yet.

I loved it. Such a great film, showcasing the strong bond between the brothers from childhood through adulthood. Knowing what was going to happen to them in the end didn't lessen my enjoyment of it at all. But as a mother...I cannot imagine how Alleta Sullivan must have felt knowing she lost all 5 of her boys in the war. I know she and her husband and daughter went to many war bond drives and threw themselves into the war effort, and that makes me admire her all the more. I think I would have gone insane from grief.

thats a great old movie, and true story, another good one is a movie called "THE FIGHTING 69TH" starring James Cagney

"The Fighting 69th" is a First World War regiment of mostly New York-Irish soldiers. Amongst a cocky crew, perhaps the cockiest is Jerry Plunkett, a scrappy fellow who looks out only for himself. The officers and non-coms of the regiment do their best to instill discipline in Plunkett, and the chaplain, Father Duffy, tries to make Plunkett see the greater good, all to no avail. Behind the lines or in the trenches, Plunkett acts selfishly and cowardly, eventually costing the lives of many of his fellow soldiers.

Worf

I'll Lock Up

Watched this as well, for the umpteenth time. Of course you don't know how much of the story is "true" (particularly as to how they died) but it's enjoyable nonetheless. Pretty rugged at the end though...

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Watched this as well, for the umpteenth time. Of course you don't know how much of the story is "true" (particularly as to how they died) but it's enjoyable nonetheless. Pretty rugged at the end though...

Worf

The family were consultants for the film, but of course, the story was altered in some ways for dramatic purposes. I know that two of the brothers joined the US Navy before the other three.

But the info I found below really made me sad:

"Captain Gilbert C. Hoover, commanding officer of the USS Helena and senior officer present in the battle-damaged US task force, was skeptical that anyone had survived the sinking of the Juneau and believed it would be reckless to look for survivors, thereby exposing his wounded ships to a still-lurking Japanese submarine. Therefore, he ordered his ships to continue on towards Espiritu Santo. Helena signaled a nearby US B-17 bomber on patrol to notify Allied headquarters to send aircraft or ships to search for survivors.

But in fact, approximately 100 of Juneau's crew had survived the torpedo attack and the sinking of their ship and were left in the water. The B-17 bomber crew, under orders not to break radio silence, did not pass the message about searching for survivors to their headquarters until they had landed several hours later. The crew's report of the location of possible survivors was mixed in with other pending paperwork actions and went unnoticed for several days. It was not until days later that headquarters staff realized that a search had never been mounted and belatedly ordered aircraft to begin searching the area. In the meantime, Juneau's survivors, many of whom were seriously wounded, were exposed to the elements, hunger, thirst, and repeated shark attacks.

Eight days after the sinking, ten survivors were found by a PBY Catalina search aircraft and retrieved from the water. The survivors reported that Frank, Joe and Matt died instantly, Al drowned the next day, and George survived for four or five days,[1] before suffering from delirium as a result of hypernatremia (though some sources describe him being "driven insane with grief" at the loss of his brothers), he went over the side of the raft he occupied. He was never seen or heard from again." (Source: Kurzman, Dan (1994). Left to Die: The Tragedy of the USS Juneau.)

Horrible no matter how you look at it. :(

The family were consultants for the film, but of course, the story was altered in some ways for dramatic purposes. I know that two of the brothers joined the US Navy before the other three.

But the info I found below really made me sad:

"Captain Gilbert C. Hoover, commanding officer of the USS Helena and senior officer present in the battle-damaged US task force, was skeptical that anyone had survived the sinking of the Juneau and believed it would be reckless to look for survivors, thereby exposing his wounded ships to a still-lurking Japanese submarine. Therefore, he ordered his ships to continue on towards Espiritu Santo. Helena signaled a nearby US B-17 bomber on patrol to notify Allied headquarters to send aircraft or ships to search for survivors.

But in fact, approximately 100 of Juneau's crew had survived the torpedo attack and the sinking of their ship and were left in the water. The B-17 bomber crew, under orders not to break radio silence, did not pass the message about searching for survivors to their headquarters until they had landed several hours later. The crew's report of the location of possible survivors was mixed in with other pending paperwork actions and went unnoticed for several days. It was not until days later that headquarters staff realized that a search had never been mounted and belatedly ordered aircraft to begin searching the area. In the meantime, Juneau's survivors, many of whom were seriously wounded, were exposed to the elements, hunger, thirst, and repeated shark attacks.

Eight days after the sinking, ten survivors were found by a PBY Catalina search aircraft and retrieved from the water. The survivors reported that Frank, Joe and Matt died instantly, Al drowned the next day, and George survived for four or five days,[1] before suffering from delirium as a result of hypernatremia (though some sources describe him being "driven insane with grief" at the loss of his brothers), he went over the side of the raft he occupied. He was never seen or heard from again." (Source: Kurzman, Dan (1994). Left to Die: The Tragedy of the USS Juneau.)

Quint's recounting in "Jaws" of his time in the water after the Indianapolis went down was echoing in my head as I read your post.

"The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit"
  • The book, as almost always, is better
  • The story is pretty depressing
  • The scenes with the "small" town judge were the standouts
    • Nice to see the "humble, devoted" servant cliche turned on its head; the long-time servant was a self-serving crook who is lucky he didn't wind up in jail - kudos to the judge for exposing him
  • I don't think it was the intent, but the wife came off as whiny, spoiled, pushy and selfish
    • Peck would have been better off bringing his Italian girlfriend back with him and marrying her
  • Having grown up ten years after the kids in the movie, our house was much, much stricter
    • My default impression is that kids were raised stricter in "the past," but it was probably much more varied than I think
  • Fredrich Marsh is a quiet professional actor who does his job without histrionics, just low-key skill and thoughtfulness
  • No surprise here: Peck's wardrobe is '50s - East Coast Ivy - Fedora Lounge eye-candy

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

I come from a large family of brothers and sisters.
Like Mr. George Sullivan, I’m the eldest.
I can only imagine what he must have endured having
lost all his brothers.

I read that mother Sullivan was not too keen on the actress
that portrayed her.

campbell166

New in Town
Going to the cinema tonight to watch
Their Finest
A movie set in England during WW2
Stars Bill Nighy amongst others
A comedy/drama apparently ;-)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Princess Kaiulani, originally titled The Barbarian Princess! A movie about Victoria Kawēkiu Kaʻiulani Lunalilo Kalaninuiahilapalapa Cleghorn (October 16, 1875 – March 6, 1899) Sad how we annexed Hawaii!

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I needed to decompress after work today, so I switched on the TV and nothing much was on (even on TCM!). Stupidly, I decided to watch Independence Day: Resurgence. I'd heard the reviews were bad, but I figured, hey, just HOW bad can it be?

Folks, it was horrible. The story, the acting, the dialogue, EVERYTHING was horrible. Not even the good looks of Liam Hemsworth could save this turkey. I always wonder how directors and producers can allow something they SURELY know is that bad to be released. Doesn't do much for their reputation!

alsendk

A-List Customer
Saw Sofia Coppolas "Lost in translation" again - for I don`t know what time. Love that film !
key_art_lost_in_translation1.jpg

I won't post any spoilers regarding the plot etc,
But I really enjoyed the movie,some good acting and some great attire,
I hope you agree when you get to see it

Glad you enjoyed it and great to hear it's a good one as it's been on our list of ones we want to see. However, the, how shall I say this, "frugal" Fading Fasts will wait for DVD or streaming, but are very excited to see it then.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I watched The Brothers Grimsby, with Sacha Baron Cohen and Mark Strong.

There are literally no words to describe this film.

When I wasn't laughing, I was closing my eyes and trying not to gag...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk