Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

The Major and the Minor.
Dial M for Murder

I must say, since I now belong to that unenviable category of "betrayed spouse" or "victim of infidelity", whichever you prefer, now when I watch Dial M for Murder I actually have some sympathy for Ray Milland's character. He's a betrayed husband! His wife and her affair partner are lovey dovey and pretending to only be friends right in front of his eyes! And the husband knows the entire time...

Yep. I understand his rage and I understand his need for revenge.

And it is a fantastic movie and incredibly stylish - love the way Milland has the sophisticated urbane clothes, the murder-for-hire guy has the gauche, loud clothes and the inspector, the quirky and fastidious clothes. No detail is too small for Hitchcock.

In my personal rating of Hitchcock movies based on nothing other than which ones I want to watch ten billion times, I put "Dial M for Murder" ahead of "Psycho" and "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (both versions*).

* Other than hearing Doris Day belt out (and there is no other adjective that captures how she sings that song) Que Sera Sera, I don't care if I ever see either version again.

Last edited:
The Lost Weekend (1945) on TCM. A strong movie and well worth seeing, but having had more experience with alcoholics (functional or otherwise) than I'd like I have to say I never quite believed Don Birnam (Ray Milland) was one. As such, for me Jane Wyman stole the movie.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Planet of the Apes (1968) - actually worse than I remember. The make up work is awful, the acting is mediocre, even the camera work is amateurish, and not even Charleston Heston's hammy acting cans save this movie. How it became a classic I'll never know.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
TCM
Film Noir.jpg

“Film Noir at full throttle especially with Mike Mazurki in it!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
As my eldest has now read the book (my youngest sadly is not the reader her sister is:(), we watched the first of the Hobbit films, An Unexpected Journey, extended version blu-ray.

Both girls enjoyed it immensely and are looking forward to the next two!

green papaya

One Too Many
DUNKIRK (2017) at the movie theater

In May 1940, Germany advanced into France, trapping Allied troops on the beaches of Dunkirk. Under air and ground cover from British and French forces, troops were slowly and methodically evacuated from the beach using every serviceable naval and civilian vessel that could be found. At the end of this heroic mission, 330,000 French, British, Belgian and Dutch soldiers were safely evacuated.

dunkirk-review-1.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Dunkirk
It was entertaining, but lacking.
I expected more.
A nice cast, but underused. Maybe?
Still, much better than The Mummy reboot this summer.
Much better.
:D

I have yet to see the film, but I understand Nolan used a unique approach for this. I gather there is relatively little dialogue, no achingly dull backstory ("Blimey, it seems like so long ago we were just wee, eating sweets on the High Street!"). Just a direct look at three key events from three time perspectives. No blather (are you listening, Mr. Spielberg?).

I am really looking forward to seeing this next week.

My father I think would have loved a movie like this. He was a British army vet (April 1939 - July 1946), and usually despised American war movies.

- "Always have to ruin it with a ********* romance!"

Rest in peace dad.

24178351199_16cc044df9_c.jpg

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We had to watch, at the girls' insistence, part two of the Hobbit, Desolation of Smaug.

Watched it twice in part (from my POV), as we had bairns falling asleep during the dramatic Smaug scenes at the end!

Watched Bogie and Eva in "The Barefoot Contessa".....the most lighthearted character I have ever seen Bogie play (I am not a Bogie aficionado). My wife loves classic movies, me not so much. I have a hard time getting past the style of "acting" in the old movies. In this one Eva, in a moment of drama actually places the back of her hand on her forehead, pivots and drops her head in a tearful swoon. I thought, damn they really did do that in the old movies.

Last night watched a more modern sort of romance...."Words and Pictures" with Clive Owen and Juliette Binoche. A passable movie with an ending that totally misses the mark. The two are always worth a watch but did not get the attraction and chemistry......our vote is a 4 out of 10.

green papaya

One Too Many
Dunkirk
It was entertaining, but lacking.
I expected more.
A nice cast, but underused. Maybe?
Still, much better than The Mummy reboot this summer.
Much better.

the Spitfire scenes were entertaining with the aerial combat scenes and sound effects, the last plane to go down sure glided a long ways before going down? I didnt know they could go that far without power? plus he shot down a Nazi fighter without any power just gliding, even had enough time to manually let down his landing gear and make a perfect landing on the beach.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Watched Bogie and Eva in "The Barefoot Contessa".....the most lighthearted character I have ever seen Bogie play (I am not a Bogie aficionado). My wife loves classic movies, me not so much. I have a hard time getting past the style of "acting" in the old movies. In this one Eva, in a moment of drama actually places the back of her hand on her forehead, pivots and drops her head in a tearful swoon. I thought, damn they really did do that in the old movies.

Originally Bogie's character should have been gay but the producers couldn't accept it, so to explain the unexplainable, i.e. a man didn't find Ava Gardner sexually irresistible, they had him happily married.

Originally Bogie's character should have been gay but the producers couldn't accept it, so to explain the unexplainable, i.e. a man didn't find Ava Gardner sexually irresistible, they had him happily married.

Whatever obscurations and prestidigitation Hollywood did for public consumption, let's remember that Gardner and Sinatra had an affair on steroids in real life as noted by, perhaps, my favorite quote ever (on any subject) and it's by Ava Gardner not Churchill or Shakespeare:

https://www.edrugstore.com/blog/hea...s-huge-celebrities-legendary-large-penis-size

(it's not edited, so pass if not your thing) - scroll down to #7

In honour of its 25th birthday we rewatched Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven" last night. Not as compelling as I thought and not deserving of all the acclaim it received and still receives. Clint was just clint, Freeman was freemanlike and Hackman his usual good self. Found the dialogue stilted and the characters formulaic. I guess it was worth the $5 rental but won't watch it again on its 50th.

the Spitfire scenes were entertaining with the aerial combat scenes and sound effects, the last plane to go down sure glided a long ways before going down? I didnt know they could go that far without power? plus he shot down a Nazi fighter without any power just gliding, even had enough time to manually let down his landing gear and make a perfect landing on the beach.
It definitely was not boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points