Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Once upon a Time in the West - an astonishing opening with almost no dialogue and some extraordinary shots and cutting. And I can't forget Henry Fonda and his blue peepers as no one has seen them before or since.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Just got out of "The Last Jedi"! I tried remaining spoiler free as well. I caught a few spoilers, but nothing in context. I enjoyed the movie immensely and caught, I felt, almost everything. I did miss the Royal Cameos and Tom Hardy, though. I've been a fan since the 90s, and will continue to be so for the rest of my life. I thought this hit the chords as a SW flick on every level. It had humor, it had stakes, it felt like a SW movie to me, a lot more than TFA did. I mean, the biggest fault of TFA was that it was too much like ANH. Now, we get a new SW movie that is unexpected in every way yet still manages to feel like a SW movie in every sense... and fans don't want that either? I had one friend who criticized it by calling it too much like an 80's movie and a Flash Gordon movie. But that's what it's supposed to be! SW is an early 80s franchise, which Lucas created to evoke Flash Gordon serials. Literally, the biggest compliment you can give to a SW movie is to compare it to Flash Gordon! For me, TLJ may just be a contender with ESB for my favorite SW movie. Anybody who is still saying it's a rehash of ESB hasn't watched the film

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Darkest Hour.

Admission upfront that Winston Churchill is a hero of mine, albeit a flawed hero. Gary Oldman gives us a Winston with more emotional range than Brian Cox in the other 2017 film about the man, Churchill, but what really was interesting to me was the political balancing act that took place within the war cabinet in those days surrounding Dunkirk. Sometimes, those closest hold the daggers and are all too ready to thrust: Lincoln had to learn that in 1862, and clearly Churchill did as well in 1940.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Sha'ul of Tarsus would be a fascinating person to be depicted in film. A fanatical expert in Jewish law who persecuted the then new sect of followers of Yeshua ("Jesus") of Nazareth, only later to bring his intellectual briliance and zeal for upholding the Torah to preaching Yeshua as the Messiah in foreign lands - all after seeing a vision of Yeshua en route to arrest some of His followers in Damascus. No matter what troubles, persecutions and mishaps befell him, the man who changed his name to Paul refused to waver in his work until he was finally exiled to Patmos. He even took on the other apostles, even Peter, when he thought they were wrong in their stance. Everything Luther learned of salvation by grace he learned from Paul's letters to the Roman and Galatian believers. He's a compelling character for the depth of his commitment and determination to grow a movement he originally despised.
I'm late to this posting, but wasn't John exiled to Patmos? I'm open to correction

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Just got out of "The Last Jedi"! I tried remaining spoiler free as well. I caught a few spoilers, but nothing in context. I enjoyed the movie immensely and caught, I felt, almost everything. I did miss the Royal Cameos and Tom Hardy, though. I've been a fan since the 90s, and will continue to be so for the rest of my life. I thought this hit the chords as a SW flick on every level. It had humor, it had stakes, it felt like a SW movie to me, a lot more than TFA did. I mean, the biggest fault of TFA was that it was too much like ANH. Now, we get a new SW movie that is unexpected in every way yet still manages to feel like a SW movie in every sense... and fans don't want that either? I had one friend who criticized it by calling it too much like an 80's movie and a Flash Gordon movie. But that's what it's supposed to be! SW is an early 80s franchise, which Lucas created to evoke Flash Gordon serials. Literally, the biggest compliment you can give to a SW movie is to compare it to Flash Gordon! For me, TLJ may just be a contender with ESB for my favorite SW movie. Anybody who is still saying it's a rehash of ESB hasn't watched the film

Jar Jar Binks! That's all I have to say on the matter.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Logan" - The best "non-superhero movie" about a superhero ever made. Real acting, real drama and a ripping story. No happy endings here. I felt gut shot when it was all over. It truly moved me. It's a "hard R" and not for children. But unlike "Deadpool", the only other R rated superhero movie of note, this one ain't played for laughs.

Worf

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I KNOW that! My point is the franchise lost me then and I'm NEVER going BACK!!!!!! I watched 20 minutes of "Rogue One" on Netflix and never even bothered to finish it. I'm done!

Worf
Interesting you like "Logan" so much. I would honestly consider "Rogue One" to be the "Logan" of SW, just without the gratuitous blood.
Darkest Hour.

Admission upfront that Winston Churchill is a hero of mine, albeit a flawed hero. Gary Oldman gives us a Winston with more emotional range than Brian Cox in the other 2017 film about the man, Churchill, but what really was interesting to me was the political balancing act that took place within the war cabinet in those days surrounding Dunkirk. Sometimes, those closest hold the daggers and are all too ready to thrust: Lincoln had to learn that in 1862, and clearly Churchill did as well in 1940.
I've been interested in seeing this film for a while now. I've seen "The Gathering Storm," and am interested in what you thought of Oldman's portrayal of Churchill compared to Gleeson's.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm late to this posting, but wasn't John exiled to Patmos? I'm open to correction

There was a John of Patmos, who is credited as the author of Revelation, but whether he was actually the apostle John is a matter of some debate -- the tradition that he was goes back to the second century, but there's no real confirmation of this other than the tradition. John of Patmos himself does not actually claim to be the Apostle John anywhere in his writings, and Revelation certainly doesn't read anything like the Gospel of John.

The last biblical record of Paul's movements places him in Rome in the early 60s of the first century, but there's no positive statement of his fate after that other than various traditions. Most of those suggest that he died in Rome before the end of the 60s, and that he met death thru beheading, which would certainly make for a cinematic finish.

Interesting you like "Logan" so much. I would honestly consider "Rogue One" to be the "Logan" of SW, just without the gratuitous blood.
I've been interested in seeing this film for a while now. I've seen "The Gathering Storm," and am interested in what you thought of Oldman's portrayal of Churchill compared to Gleeson's.
The reviews I have read of "Gathering...." have been damning on the historical front but have been uniformly complimentory of Oldman's performance.......he is in pretty much every frame of the movie and as they say he is a scene chewer. I plan to see it just to view his performance if nothing else.

I am on a downward spiral....watched a Spanish offering on Netflix last night, "Navarre" another horrible mess of a plot. As a writer I realize my bias BUT to me everything begins with the writing. If the characters, their development or plot is flawed the best actor in the world cannot save it. This movie was a mess with so many disparate elements tacked together. On the upside the town in which it was shot is beautiful and now I want to visit.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Romantic lead?
Define "romantic"...
7645.jpg

Last night we had our annual Christmas time viewing of "The Man Who Came to Dinner." This is one of those movies that has grown on me as its slapstick elements initially turned me off a bit, but now they slide by as I so enjoy Monty Woolley's and Bette Davis' performances. Also, you can just feel Christmas in the early '40s in this one.

Still to be watched for Christmas: "Holiday Affair," "The Bishop's Wife," at least one version of "Scrooge," "Holiday Inn" (not an annual for us, but it is up in rotation), "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and a few more that will pop up between now and 12/25.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points