Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Hi AG, we've got a couple of episodes lined up for tonight, I'm hoping to catch up before I fly back to France. I'll have to wait till the new year for Gotham, the WD prequel and one and half seasons of Hell on Wheels!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Hi AG, we've got a couple of episodes lined up for tonight, I'm hoping to catch up before I fly back to France. I'll have to wait till the new year for Gotham, the WD prequel and one and half seasons of Hell on Wheels!

Have you done anything but watch TV/go to the movies while you've been back? LOL!

Enjoy! And please stay safe on your way back and while you're on duty. :)

The problem with Arrow is it's somewhat formulaic:

1. Introduce new threat to hero.
2. Flashback to similar problem from his past.
3. Fistfight.
4. Someone loses control kills or almost kills someone...
5. Someone discovers they've been lied to and gets mad.
6. Show muscles for the tween girls to swoon over...
7. Defeat the villain...
8. Reconcile hurt feelings...

I can understand why someone as astute as yourself would have a hard time with either show. "The Flash" is lighter and more acceptable. "Arrow" is darker.... it's hero having put bodies in the ground in bunches...

Worf

I think that my biggest issue is that there are too many young'uns running around with jobs that there is no way they could have the experience to have. It's kind of like soap opera characters always being doctors or chief of police when they should still be in college. It reminds me of that Star Trek episode where there are no adults.
:D

I understand how you feel. They are both too bubblegum for my admittedly outgrown comic book tastes which run more along the lines of Watchmen and Netflix Daredevil. I am looking forward to the Netflix Jessica Jones series!

It helps to have a younger viewer around for me to get through The Flash and Arrow. I complain a lot less about the hokey dialogue and shoehorning in of every character as a potential superhero when there is a younger viewer around. :)

Maybe we need to adopt a child for television watching. I don't know that my comic book tastes are too outgrown for the shows; I still enjoy my Silver and Copper Age comics. I think it is that I hope for more. At least it is better than anything they had on when I was a kid.
:D

Feraud

Bartender
The problem with Arrow is it's somewhat formulaic:

1. Introduce new threat to hero.
2. Flashback to similar problem from his past.
3. Fistfight.
4. Someone loses control kills or almost kills someone...
5. Someone discovers they've been lied to and gets mad.
6. Show muscles for the tween girls to swoon over...
7. Defeat the villain...
8. Reconcile hurt feelings...

I can understand why someone as astute as yourself would have a hard time with either show. "The Flash" is lighter and more acceptable. "Arrow" is darker.... it's hero having put bodies in the ground in bunches...

Worf
Yes, that about sums up the direction of each season.
Not to mention the fact that for all of Oliver's whining about "saving his city", Starling City doesn't look like a bad place to live at all. Every street scene I see shows barely any pedestrians and no traffic. I'll take that over NYC any day!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that about sums up the direction of each season.
Not to mention the fact that for all of Oliver's whining about "saving his city", Starling City doesn't look like a bad place to live at all. Every street scene I see shows barely any pedestrians and no traffic. I'll take that over NYC any day!

LOL! Yeah nicer city than the New York of my youth... That's always been one of my biggest problems with D.C.'s universe.... fake cities. When I was a kid Spidey was always mentioning, or someone was, that the Mets were only down 3 or 4 runs. I love it that Marvel is based in THIS world. That's what made the Daredevil series so good. I know that city... I know those streets. Even though "Gotham" is obviously set in NY City it still doesn't ring true. And the cities of "The Arrow" and "The Flash" don't do anything for me. Might as well call them City A and City B. Or better yet "Arrowtown" and "Flash City", then I'd know what the heck they were talking about!

Worf

Maybe we need to adopt a child for television watching. I don't know that my comic book tastes are too outgrown for the shows; I still enjoy my Silver and Copper Age comics. I think it is that I hope for more...
I realized long ago that the real problem with shows like Arrow and The Flash is the fact that I'm no longer anywhere near their 13- to 25-year-old target demographic. I have no idea what it's like to be a teenager or early-twenty-something in 2015, so I can't relate to the characters and find the storylines uninteresting.

Now, in all fairness I haven't seen even a partial episode of either of those shows. But I've seen the commercials, and could tell from those that the shows are just not for me.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^^
Because of the internet, I've had the chance to watch many movies & television shows
I used to enjoy as a kid.

Now if only I could have a remote control for my brain to rewind or delete that part
of my movie memory mode so that I can appreciate them all over again.
That would be grand !

Lately. I’ve been watching most of what has been mentioned here as far as
the new, but for one reason or another, I cannot sit through an entire viewing
with the exception of TCM.

Thank goodness for fast forward control !

Last edited:
Mister Cairo - good luck and best wishes for you on your return.

As to Gotham (not the show, but the city as portrayed in Batman) - the Christopher Nolan movies, at times, captured a 1970's New York at night feel for me. In the '70s, if you were in a not great part of the city as night fell, you could feel an ominousness rising around you. It got quieter but in a sinister not sleepy way. Shadows, nooks, noises all became sources of concern. Nolan captured that, but his dystopian, claustrophobic extreme, overall, felt otherworldly, but again, there were times in his movies when I felt I was in Soho, at night, in the 1970s and I'd hear footsteps and my anxiety shot up.

^^^^
Because of the internet, I've had the chance to watch many movies & television shows
I used to enjoy as a kid.

Now if only I could have a remote control for my brain to rewind or delete that part
of my movie memory mode so that I can appreciate them all over again.
That would be grand !...
This brings the question to mind--if you could delete that part of your memory, would you/could you appreciate those movies and television shows now, with an adult mind, as much as you did when you were younger? Or would your adult mindset be more critical and dismissive?

For example, I loved the Batman live-action television series in the mid-1960s, and would probably have watched it endlessly if binge-watching had been possible then. But I was five years old when it first aired, and viewing the show now as a 54-year-old adult I find the appeal wears thin after two or three episodes. So if I were seeing the show for the first time at my current age and mindset, I believe I'd probably think it was silly and juvenile and not give it much of a chance, and would therefore not think of it as fondly as I do.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
This brings the question to mind--if you could delete that part of your memory, would you/could you appreciate those movies and television shows now, with an adult mind, as much as you did when you were younger? Or would your adult mindset be more critical and dismissive?

For example, I loved the Batman live-action television series in the mid-1960s, and would probably have watched it endlessly if binge-watching had been possible then. But I was five years old when it first aired, and viewing the show now as a 54-year-old adult I find the appeal wears thin after two or three episodes. So if I were seeing the show for the first time at my current age and mindset, I believe I'd probably think it was silly and juvenile and not give it much of a chance, and would therefore not think of it as fondly as I do.

That thought occurred to me when I was tapping on the keyboard the first time
on this topic.

I should have added to the “ what if ” to include deleting all experiences & mindset
as well.

That would leave me with the body of an old dog with the mindset of a puppy.

But the thing is, the above describes me as I am now,
what with all the running, playing tennis, biking, eating
all kinds of sweet junk & chocolate malts .

So I’m half way there, just delete the movie memory mode...
thank you ! ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points