Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

If I have my seasons right (a questionable premise), then you've seen the episodes where Nucky fight "on the street" with guns and his life on the line to regain his bootlegging empire. Until that episode, the idea of Nucky coming up as a street thug with the grit and physical capability to survive and thrive in a a no-hold-barred mob gun battle was hard for me to picture.

But there he was, no fancy suits, no odd butler, no plush carpets, just him, others, a car, guns and a raw, feral desire to get back on top. He had a calmness-amidst-the-storm way of fighting that was impressive and exposed how he could become a leader. Kudos to Steve Buscemi for being able to bring that aspect of Nucky's alive in a very real way.
If you are speaking of his war with Gyp to retake the Boardwalk, then you are correct on both counts. He is not my favorite actor or character in the show, but he is pretty good. :D

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I think they were called off when they were cornered, but it wasn't at all clearly shown. The shooting/editing concentrated our attention on the human adversaries.

I wanted to mention that my kids - who've read the books - stopped watching the show last year because "it's like a bad fan-fiction now." They want no part of the post-Martin stuff from this season onward. But I haven't read the books, and thus have no opinion on the quality of the adaptation: I just think it's enthralling television! (Sometimes ignorance IS bliss.)

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I wanted to mention that my kids - who've read the books - stopped watching the show last year because "it's like a bad fan-fiction now." They want no part of the post-Martin stuff from this season onward. But I haven't read the books, and thus have no opinion on the quality of the adaptation: I just think it's enthralling television! (Sometimes ignorance IS bliss.)
Did they just run off? Attack dogs don't just run off when their handler drops the leash.

I think the quality and details have changed noticeably, and significantly, since running out of the book for the foundation. I haven't read the books either, but after season 4, I noticed how things had gotten sloppier and less smartly told and done. I asked some real Game of Thrones hounds, and my questions weren't coincidental or just happenstance. Bummed me out, because I hadn't been aware of running out of books until I asked about clarification on a few missing details. A better show than most, but not the show it once was.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I found the GoT premiere acceptable. Didn't know they'd run out of materiel from "Tubby" Martin. He's too busy spending all that cash and hitting red carpets to go back and finish this thing now. Hope the show's producers took good notes.

Worf

Edward

Bartender

I bought the first book a few years ago, then we got the DVDs that were available at that point (first two series), and I decided I'd wait and read the books after the TVshow is done. That way I can at least hope that Martin finishes the series before I start.... or is likely to. I'd hate to invest in a five book series the last two of which never appear!!

I found the GoT premiere acceptable. Didn't know they'd run out of materiel from "Tubby" Martin. He's too busy spending all that cash and hitting red carpets to go back and finish this thing now. Hope the show's producers took good notes

He's certainly taking his time. It'll be interesting - I think this will be the first TVshow I've seen that started off based on a book but overtook it. With the Potter films, Jo Rowling was very involved in what they could and could not cut from the earlier books, as she clearly knew exactly what was gonig to happen in later parts and what references needed to be planted early on. This is going to beone with a real chance of divergence. I'm wondering if Martin will be tempted to use it to trial an alternative ending.... though he has, I believe, long said that if folks guess the end he won't change it, so maybe not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto