Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
By today's standards, pretty simple time travel / continuum conundrum, but for the time (teehee) period, a pretty good story.
Its variation on the usual puzzle-box story is this: Kirk has to make a decision NOT to do something -- NOT to save Edith Keeler. The usual TV story, both then and now, would have set it up so that Kirk would have to act in some positive fashion, to save someone. In "City," it comes down to whether he will not save the someone. And because he's emotionally tied to Edith (for a change it's a love story that works, since the characters have similar ideals), it's a colossally important decision for Kirk: not just because he needs to save the future, but because he must NOT save her.

Spock's line, "I am endeavoring, madam, to construct a mnemonic circuit using stone knives and bearskins," is a classic, too.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed it as with most of the 30 for 30s I have seen. I was a fan of Sugar Ray from the moment I saw him box in the '76 Olympics. He became my favorite boxer. Of course I intensely disliked Duran. With time, I grew to appreciate Duran's achievements. He has not recieved the praise he deserves by the general boxing world. His greatness in boxing during the past forty years surpasses most.
:D

I was a big boxing fan at that time. I call it "The Silver Age" of boxing.... mebbe Bronze. In the 80's you had Duran, Hearns, Leonard, Pryor, Arguello and my personal fave, Marvelous Marvin Hagler all in their primes (or close to it). They fought, hard and often, well more often than they do today, and they genuinely didn't like each other... well I know Hagler hated Leonard and still does. I've only loved 2 "pretty boy boxer's" in my life. Sugar Ray Robinson (the REAL Sugar Ray) and Ali. I disliked Leonard because after the Olympics, things that other's had to struggle for, seemed to be given him on a Silver Platter. After he robbed Hagler in their superfight with that "pitty pat" in the last 10 seconds of the round bullsh*t, my dislike turned to loathing, hatred and disgust.

Worf

⇧ Leonard was a game-theory master, he got every single drop of juice out of his skills; whereas, others powered forward on will and instinct: Leonard was a master strategist.

I'm old school in my leanings, so like you, my passions went toward the others, but at my now older age and with some distance, I clearly see what Leonard did and applaud the very smart thinking behind it even if it still feels manipulative. He didn't break the rules, he just exploited their weaknesses.

I was a big boxing fan at that time. I call it "The Silver Age" of boxing.... mebbe Bronze. In the 80's you had Duran, Hearns, Leonard, Pryor, Arguello and my personal fave, Marvelous Marvin Hagler all in their primes (or close to it). They fought, hard and often, well more often than they do today, and they genuinely didn't like each other... well I know Hagler hated Leonard and still does. I've only loved 2 "pretty boy boxer's" in my life. Sugar Ray Robinson (the REAL Sugar Ray) and Ali. I disliked Leonard because after the Olympics, things that other's had to struggle for, seemed to be given him on a Silver Platter. After he robbed Hagler in their superfight with that "pitty pat" in the last 10 seconds of the round bullsh*t, my dislike turned to loathing, hatred and disgust.

Worf
Hagler and Hearns were two of my most liked fighters during this glorious time in boxing. There were so many other fighters of excellent ability during this time. They were not on the level as those you named, but they were fun. This was a great time in which top fighters fought top fighters. Man, I really miss those days of boxing.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Hard Knocks - Training Camp with the L.A. Rams" - This show's a guilty pleasure. I played a little football while in the Army (regular, combat and flag) so I love the camaraderie and love. Problem is they always pick a few guys on the bubble. Introduce you to their families, make you care about them only to watch them fail, get cut or get injured.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hagler and Hearns were two of my most liked fighters during this glorious time in boxing. There were so many other fighters of excellent ability during this time. They were not on the level as those you named, but they were fun. This was a great time in which top fighters fought top fighters. Man, I really miss those days of boxing.

Yeah "Thursday Night Fights" on ESPN (I believe). I loved The Roach Brothers (yeah Freddie). They fought hard and never gave an inch. I liked Iran "The Blade" Barkley, Evander "Real Deal" Holyfield and I can't forget "Machinegun" Buddy McGirt! There are many other's who's name's are slowly seeping back into my cranium with this conversation. It was indeed a mighty time for me and boxing capped off with the rise of "Iron Mike" right here in my neck of the woods. I caught Tyson "on the way up" as it were I was also present when Don King came to town (lower Albany). I knew soon as I saw the all white Rolls Royce that Tyson was doomed. Sad.

Worf

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Started The Palace, on Acorn streaming. Rupert Evans in a fictional royal family set in Buckingham Palace. Filmed in Latvia, hmmmm... did the English government frown on a series that depicts a royal family at odds with itself?

Yeah "Thursday Night Fights" on ESPN (I believe). I loved The Roach Brothers (yeah Freddie). They fought hard and never gave an inch. I liked Iran "The Blade" Barkley, Evander "Real Deal" Holyfield and I can't forget "Machinegun" Buddy McGirt! There are many other's who's name's are slowly seeping back into my cranium with this conversation. It was indeed a mighty time for me and boxing capped off with the rise of "Iron Mike" right here in my neck of the woods. I caught Tyson "on the way up" as it were I was also present when Don King came to town (lower Albany). I knew soon as I saw the all white Rolls Royce that Tyson was doomed. Sad.

Worf
USA Network boxing as well as ESPN had so many great mid level, gatekeepers, and future champions on their cards. Like you, the names are slow to return, but they are their amongst the files. Matthew Saad Muhammad, Dwight "Camden Buzzsaw" Braxton/Muhammad Qawi, Azumah Nelson, Mike "The Bodysnatcher" McCallum, Sweet Pea Whitaker, Meldrick Taylor, Boom Boom Mancini...the list goes on. Mike Tyson's early fights on ESPN. The terror. The black socks. The knockouts. The anticipation...great times. Wow!

..For me, over the years, boxing has faded into a ghost of what it once was. A mismatch mix up of federations and mainly lackluster champs who's names, I couldn't even tell ya. I still catch the occasional fight (usually when channel surfing) but it's nothing like it once was. Perhaps my intense interest with MMA has also helped ruin it for me.
HD

Worf

I'll Lock Up
..For me, over the years, boxing has faded into a ghost of what it once was. A mismatch mix up of federations and mainly lackluster champs who's names, I couldn't even tell ya. I still catch the occasional fight (usually when channel surfing) but it's nothing like it once was. Perhaps my intense interest with MMA has also helped ruin it for me.
HD
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Cept I don't like MMA that much. Too close to gladiatorial games for me. Elbows and knees to faces doesn't turn me on.

Worf

We watched the first few episodes of Amazon's original series "Catastrophe" about a two people trying to turn a one-night stand that resulted in a pregnancy into a real relationship (including one having to move from the US to the UK).

While not poorly done at all, after (I think) three episodes, I realized that I disliked every single person in the show and when I asked my girlfriend she said the same thing.

We stopped watching not because the show was terrible, but because we disliked spending time with the characters.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I started watching the Netflix series Stranger Things, first three episodes of the first season. Quite entertaining, we'll watch it through and we gather there is likely a season two.

Really high ratings on IMDB, etc. We don't think it's all that and a bag of chips (aka Peaky Blinders) but good creepy entertainment...

HD
I too have become a huge fan of MMA. All of the options each fighter has as well as has to prepare for make it extremely interesting. I was not too keen on its early incarnation, but now I feel about it as I did boxing. Sometime in the late nineties my interest started to wane. There was a decline in coverage and it just felt different, maybe it was me. I still enjoy a good match here and there; there are still some interesting fighters out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk