Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Lucifer is fun and interesting. You can "catch up" on HULU. Definitely NOT for ultra-religious Christians of ANY stripe as it bears little resemblance to any "approved" doctrine. The lead is charming as are his sidekicks. Great popcorn for the brain.

Worf

We're Presbyterians and really enjoy Supernatural, so if we can enjoy God coming to earth as a nerdy sci-fi book writer, an angel named Castiel becoming one of our favourite characters in the guise of a man in a trench coat, and Lucifer showing up, among other times, as an aging rock star played by Rick Springfield, we can tolerate Lucifer!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The audio is killing me. Either there's no closed captioning up here or I couldn't figure out how to turn it on...
I had to google our new remote controller to find where they'd placed the CC. Do a search with your cable provider and CC. Or call them and ask for the tech department. I would have never found mine on my own. Why can't they just put a button on the controller with the other 50 buttons?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Big Bang Theory. Spoiler alert, Sheldon gets to draw up another legal agreement! I don't think I have meant any lawyers that get that excited.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I have also finished watching The Fall with Gillian Anderson. Man, what a great series, and I hope it is continued. She was one of the executive producers and is on record as saying she'd like to see where her character can go.

Jamie Dornan, the subject of the investigation, is playing another creep - he's the male lead in the 50 Shades of Grey films (haven't seen the first, won't see the next - I hear Charlie Hunnam dodged a bullet there...). Dornan was brilliant in The Fall, hope he does well.

But the film - 4.1 on IMDB - yikes!

"Sensitive Skin," an absolutely horrible show that's billed as comedy that - in the two episodes I sat through - had not one sincerely funny line in it nor even a penumbra of humor anywhere.

Kim Cattrall stars as (dog whistle for Lizzie*) a late-middle-aged, upper-middle-class / rich liberal white woman who has everything a person could seem to want - education, stable marriage, nice home, health, plenty of $s, a rewarding job in the arts, etc. - but is "unsatisfied" and "unfulfilled" and, seemingly, unable to accept that she's getting old (and isn't the "hot" young woman anymore), so she and her husband sell their house in the suburbs and move into a new, ultra-chic glass condo in the sky in an early-stage gentrifying part of the city.

If that does't turn you off to this never, ever funny comedy, then the ridiculous moral angst these "good" liberals have over stupid things like how to treat / talk to the young black drug dealer outside their condo will. I get that having money doesn't solve life's problems, but I have no truck for this type of nonsense where people without real problems are "unsatisfied" with life for no other reason than that they don't have real problems. Oh, and because of this, they create problems for themselves to have - like having stupid affairs so that they have conflict in their lives.

Kim Cattrall owes me an hour of my life back.

* If it was a movie, your audience would probably love it.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
We saw the first two episodes of Taboo last night.

First, the show is awesome, and we're looking forward to more.

Second, I've been waiting years for Vancouver Island and Nootka Sound to get the screen time references they deserve, without once so far being seen.

Third, we realize now how much we HATE commercial breaks. Too many and too long - people wonder why we like to buy series we like on blu-ray. This is why. Fast forward...

Fourth, we had to PVR all episodes as our system was down when the show premiered on FX. For some inexplicable reason, the first episode, recorded from a repeat, had the word "f&^%ing" sensored, while such quaint phrases as "c*&^ s$#@%ing" and "n@##er" went ahead without a blink.

As grown ups watching a serious show on a cable network broadcasting it late at night, this was beyond insane. Dear FX sensors and/or American broadcast regulators - grow up please.

Fortunately, episode two, recorded as a first showing, was uncensored.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Third, we realize now how much we HATE commercial breaks. Too many and too long - people wonder why we like to buy series we like on blu-ray. This is why. Fast forward...
FX is one of the worst networks for content/commercial ratio. I refuse to watch anything on FX as it is broadcasted.

Fourth, we had to PVR all episodes as our system was down when the show premiered on FX. For some inexplicable reason, the first episode, recorded from a repeat, had the word "f&^%ing" sensored, while such quaint phrases as "c*&^ s$#@%ing" and "n@##er" went ahead without a blink.
That's interesting. I'd like to see the agreement or bylaws that would somehow indicate allowances limited to the first showing. Or the number of allowances afforded in a program before the fines start rolling in. I think the fines escalate, too. It's why talk shows get so frazzled if a guest keeps cussing. They'll let the first one slide, but then the show gets hit with fines if they don't start bleeping. That's why most of these shows run with at least a 5-second delay. I'll have to remember to only DVR the first airing of Taboo.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Young Pope" - This Italian made show starring Jude Law as the first American Pope is...... what's the word I'm looking for.... STRANGE as a !#@!@$$!!!!! Not being Catholic I'm sure I'm missing a lot but from the little I know this show's as blasphemous as they come. The Vatican insiders elected Law because they think he'll be malleable and easy to control. Reformers voted for him because they thought he'd breathe life into a moribund church. Neither got what they wanted and no one knows just what they got! A bumpy but fascinating ride through 2 episodes. I'm sure he'll be poisoned.

Worf

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
"Sensitive Skin," an absolutely horrible show that's billed as comedy that - in the two episodes I sat through - had not one sincerely funny line in it nor even a penumbra of humor anywhere.

Kim Cattrall stars as (dog whistle for Lizzie*) a late-middle-aged, upper-middle-class / rich liberal white woman who has everything a person could seem to want - education, stable marriage, nice home, health, plenty of $s, a rewarding job in the arts, etc. - but is "unsatisfied" and "unfulfilled" and, seemingly, unable to accept that she's getting old (and isn't the "hot" young woman anymore), so she and her husband sell their house in the suburbs and move into a new, ultra-chic glass condo in the sky in an early-stage gentrifying part of the city.

If that does't turn you off to this never, ever funny comedy, then the ridiculous moral angst these "good" liberals have over stupid things like how to treat / talk to the young black drug dealer outside their condo will. I get that having money doesn't solve life's problems, but I have no truck for this type of nonsense where people without real problems are "unsatisfied" with life for no other reason than that they don't have real problems. Oh, and because of this, they create problems for themselves to have - like having stupid affairs so that they have conflict in their lives.

I feel like I should get one hour of life back from Kim Cattrall.

* If it was a movie, your audience would probably love it.

My wife watched this, I saw about ten minutes then went to clean the backyard of dog doo...

We saw the first two episodes of Taboo last night.

First, the show is awesome, and we're looking forward to more.

Second, I've been waiting years for Vancouver Island and Nootka Sound to get the screen time references they deserve, without once so far being seen.

As grown ups watching a serious show on a cable network broadcasting it late at night, this was beyond insane. Dear FX sensors and/or American broadcast regulators - grow up please.

Fortunately, episode two, recorded as a first showing, was uncensored.
Visually, exceptionally well done. Better than many a movie.
Tom Hardy is as usual better than most.
Subtitles really help.
The too many commercials drive us crazy and remind us how much we appreciate those shows that we watch that are commercial-free.
Looking forward to more episodes as well.
:D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Subtitles really help.

Having a Scots mum and Irish dad means I can understand most accents, so we had a pretty good time of it, save for one line in the first episode. We re-wound several times and just could not get it, but it was the speed at which it was spoken, and it was kind of "hushed".

We also had issues at times with Chibs in Sons of Anarchy, played by Tommy Flanagan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana