Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Finished season 1 of The Crown.

Hubby likes British shows. We have Netflix, Hulu, Prime & cable. Any series recommendations?

Really enjoyed "The Crown," but we went through it so fast, it all but fell off my radar when done. It's a funny thing that happens with binge, or in our case, fast watching. You watch a season in a few days or weeks and it doesn't have the "tail" in your memory that one use to get when a season was spaced out over months.

A Foyle's War, on Acorn TV, followed by The Brady Bunch on Hulu.

re "Foyle's War," were you hanging out with AmateisGal? Kidding aside, I know I need to add Acorn TV, but am trying very hard to keep expenses down - but that would be a good "entertainment return per dollar" investment.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Caught up on Taboo. Whoa!
:D

On tap for tonight: At that point, work will be done, wine will be out, fire will be in fireplace and super girlfriend and I will be as ready as we can be for the crazy insanity of "Taboo."

I can't wait for this to come out on blu-ray so I can commercial-free binge it!

Bacchanalian won't begin to describe the event...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Supernatural. What a weird episode. This season has felt...off. Which makes me wonder, even though they were greenlit for season 13, if that shouldn't be the last one. I think they've done just about all they can do with this show and it's starting to feel convoluted.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The first two episodes of Legion on FX, a new Marvel series with a vague connection to the X-Men. An interestingly different approach to a superhero story, closest to Jessica Jones as far as what I've seen before, in that the lead character is self-destructive mess rather than a self-possessed paragon. Intelligent and different, with a strong lead performance by Dan Stevens, who rarely reminds you of Matthew Crawley, though his native Brit accent is just barely perceptible every now and then.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
We caught up on Agents of SHIELD last night. The dialogue was remarkably clever, with some lines that, in my opinion, rivaled some of the comments on the old MST3K. I don't think I'm spoiling anything for anyone, but if you haven't seen the episode yet, you might want to stop reading; I don't think anything crucial is revealed. When Holden Radcliffe awoke suddenly out of the "matrix" trance he complained about the interruption of a "pre-'Weekend' Godard" conversation. If I didn't have the subtitles on that would have rocketed right past me.

Later, Coulson, prior to going into action, warns the team to be ready for anything, including "sharks with lasers." What cracked us up even more was Coulson delivered it straight and uptempo. Add into that the flashback with Coulson and May (he a level 4 agent, she a level 3) and their goofy repartee, and May was laughing, smiling, and joking, we thought overall the episode was one of the most enjoyable yet.

NB: this might be a stretch, but the writer for this broadcast, Matt Owens, sort of in a way provided, for me, the sort of high-speed dialogue reminiscent of Preston Sturges.

We caught up on Agents of SHIELD last night. The dialogue was remarkably clever, with some lines that, in my opinion, rivaled some of the comments on the old MST3K. I don't think I'm spoiling anything for anyone, but if you haven't seen the episode yet, you might want to stop reading; I don't think anything crucial is revealed. When Holden Radcliffe awoke suddenly out of the "matrix" trance he complained about the interruption of a "pre-'Weekend' Godard" conversation. If I didn't have the subtitles on that would have rocketed right past me.

Later, Coulson, prior to going into action, warns the team to be ready for anything, including "sharks with lasers." What cracked us up even more was Coulson delivered it straight and uptempo. Add into that the flashback with Coulson and May (he a level 4 agent, she a level 3) and their goofy repartee, and May was laughing, smiling, and joking, we thought overall the episode was one of the most enjoyable yet.

NB: this might be a stretch, but the writer for this broadcast, Matt Owens, sort of in a way provided, for me, the sort of high-speed dialogue reminiscent of Preston Sturges.

Yeah, I got a real chuckle out of the "sharks with lasers" line.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't know that I would praise it as much as you did, but this episode did have more than its share of great lines. Coulson was on fire:

(Seeing the conspiracy wall allegedly showing how he's behind "every alien encounter"): "This is why I'm not on Facebook."

(After the villain finishes his supposedly scary monologue): “So: cool origin story, bro.”

DNO

One Too Many
Just found a DVD set of Generation Kill at a local thrift store. Simon didn't pull his punches in The Wire, and Generation Kill is not any different. Two episodes left.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Just found a DVD set of Generation Kill at a local thrift store. Simon didn't pull his punches in The Wire, and Generation Kill is not any different. Two episodes left.

A good miniseries but not a great one. Perhaps having lived through the debacle the whole exercise would become has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Not "Band of Brothers" that's for sure.

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Wanted Dead Or Alive. Hollywood sure didn't care about accuracy in the 50s! It was suppose to be in the 1880s, yet the Mare's Leg was a cut down Winchester 1892. If that wasn't bad enough, he carried giant 45-70 cartridges, for a gun that at best could handle 44-40 bullets! Never let the truth get in the way of style.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Supernatural. What a weird episode. This season has felt...off. Which makes me wonder, even though they were greenlit for season 13, if that shouldn't be the last one. I think they've done just about all they can do with this show and it's starting to feel convoluted.

We felt last week's episode, Dean losing his memory, was one of the weakest of the show's history.

But we felt this week's was one of the best! We both said at the same time it redeemed the show after the poor outing!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I watched the first two episodes of Stranger Things on Netflix, and I absolutely do NOT understand the over-the-top hype and praise for the series. Everything in it is familiar and hackneyed. It's not even sub-Spielberg, it's sub-Abrams-imitating-Spielberg-in-Super 8. And I guess I'm too old for the nostalgia aspect - I was pushing 30 in 1983, so I can't much relate to these middle and high school kids. Winona Ryder's much-vaunted performance is way overdone: she's only got two modes, hysterical and even more hysterical. So I'm not charmed by the characters, and I'm not especially intrigued by the mysteries of the plot. Dangerous secret experiments at a mysterious compound in the woods? Yawn.

I don't know if I'll even watch the rest of the season. It just isn't working for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ